I-730 Approval Notice Issued- Nsc

At least you are getting some help.

Yeah, mandamus is the absolute last option for I-730 cases. Good luck with everything.

Senowen,
I have a few questions for you. The person that I was talking about ( whose beneficiaries got approved 3-4 days ago ) filed their applications back in May 2007. Now NSC's processing time shows that they're going through the applications that they received on January 1, 2007. Is it common for this sort of event taking place or is it unusual?

My father filed for mine back in May 2007 too. As of now, I reckon, NSC will take at least 5-6 months before they will start digging through the files that they received in May of 2007. What should I do if I didn't hear anything after they start looking for the applications they received in June or July?

A little more information about me should help you give your verdict too. I came here back in 2005 as a college student. My father shortly after, got recommended approval and received his final approval after 18 months. We don't live together. He lives in Cali while I live in Midwest. As far as my own case is concerned, I went in to take Biometrics back in September 2007. I was originally scheduled to go to Oakland Center as I was in California last summer but the day we received the letter, I was bound to my school.

I got it rescheduled to DesMoines Office, took the biometrics and I haven't heard anything ever since. I have an extremely uncommon name ( both first and last ). Also, I was under 21 when my father filed for asylum but when he received his final approval, I was over 21. Do you think this could cause a delay in adjudication of my case?

I might sound a little impatient or wary and to some extent its true. DHS has recently imposed a new policy in regards to CPT which has affected lives of thousands of international students. If I were to receive my final approval before my graduation ( next May ) then I wouldn't have to worry about going to Grad School immediately like many others will be forced to.

I don't expect you to give me an official suggestion :) but I wouldn't mind knowing your personal opinion in my case.

The person that I was talking about ( whose beneficiaries got approved 3-4 days ago ) filed their applications back in May 2007. Now NSC's processing time shows that they're going through the applications that they received on January 1, 2007. Is it common for this sort of event taking place or is it unusual?

Are you sure they filed at NSC? If they filed at TSC, then the processing time is basically right around what TSC is reporting. If they did, in fact, file at NSC, then the processing time does seem a bit fast. However, the processing time reports are really only an estimate of what is being processed. In the end, how long an application takes to be processed is a matter of luck. It depends on how quickly the numerous people handling an application do their job. Each stage in the process is going to take a different amount of time depending on whose desk the application ends up on. It is probable that if your friend filed at NSC, then he got very lucky and had many efficient workers handling different parts of the process. Is it common for an application to be approved much quicker than the reported processing times of the USCIS? No, but it's not unheard of. Your friend just got lucky, that's all. But don't start wishing your application to be approved faster than the processing time reports. It probably will not. So just keep an eye on the processing times and don't expect anything to move quicker than those time.

My father filed for mine back in May 2007 too. As of now, I reckon, NSC will take at least 5-6 months before they will start digging through the files that they received in May of 2007. What should I do if I didn't hear anything after they start looking for the applications they received in June or July?

Well, the only thing that you can do is start to make phone calls and infopass appointments.

I got it rescheduled to DesMoines Office, took the biometrics and I haven't heard anything ever since. I have an extremely uncommon name ( both first and last ). Also, I was under 21 when my father filed for asylum but when he received his final approval, I was over 21. Do you think this could cause a delay in adjudication of my case?

As for the rescheduling to the Des Moines biometrics center, this could cause a slight delay, but I doubt it would cause a long delay because your application would not need to transfer service centers (I-730s for CA and IA are both filed to the NSC). As for your age, this should not cause a problem as the CSPA is supposed to kick in at the date of the filing of the asylum application. Most case workers now understand the CSPA, at least in regard to I-730s. While there have been a few instances when case workers think that a person has aged out, these mostly involve dating problems with old conditional "Chinese family planning" grants of asylum.

I might sound a little impatient or wary and to some extent its true. DHS has recently imposed a new policy in regards to CPT which has affected lives of thousands of international students. If I were to receive my final approval before my graduation ( next May ) then I wouldn't have to worry about going to Grad School immediately like many others will be forced to.

I'm assuming you meant OPT. You have it better than most of them. An I-730 can be granted even if you fall out of status. And since asylees, including derivative asylees, adjust under INA 209 not INA 245, being out of status is not a ground for denial of adjustment. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advising you to fall out of status. I'm just saying don't worry about the I-730 timing too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Senowen, he did indeed file it at NSC ( as he's in CA ).

As far as the processing times are concerned, it kept on changing by the range of 15 days for 3-4 months from February - April. So it took quite some time for the processing times to change from September 06 - October 06 but all of a sudden, it has jumped to January 2007. Since my application was filed in May, I'm hoping that the processing times will continue changing, smoothly. :)

Anyways, as far as my dilemma over my approval is concerned, I was supposed to graduate in December but then since I'm a double major, I'm taking an extra semester so I will graduate next May. If I were to get approved before I graduate, I could start planning to go to Grad School ( In-State tuition, Grants, Loans would be available then ) which I'm sure you won't disagree, is 10 times better than the current situation i.e. having to go to Grad School three months after graduation. My majors don't fall under the 27 month extension categories ( they only want engineers and mathematicians, too overloaded with Accountants and businessmen of foreign origin? ) so I need to get employed immediately after my graduation. I'm not worried about falling out of status myself but then what about Employment Authorization? ( They denied my application for renewal of work Authorization under Economic Hardship category last december, I reapplied for renewal earlier in March, I'm still waiting for a decision ).

These days, with the entire H-1, Sponsorship etc aren't easy processes, something I'm certain you're well aware of. Either way, I'm hopeful that they will approve my case over the next 12 months. My father's decision to file for asylum has brought million different changes in the lives of our family members. I haven't seen my mother and brother ( in real ) in over 3 and 1/2 years ( my dad hasn't seen my mom in 3 years ).

I'm just hoping that everything gets over with shortly. My father recently filed for his I-485. Wish I could apply for Travel document and temporarily leave the country and visit my family...here's hoping the processing times continues changing much to the wishes of millions of hopeful ones.

I'd also like to add something, I actually emailed NSC Asylum Division a couple of months ago and they emailed me back saying that the applications were being handled as they were received and my file was in a waiting line. So I guess phone inquiries wouldn't help right now because technically, it won't be until the next 4-5 months that the application processing times changed to June/July, by which, If i didn't hear anything from them, I could have a case to raise a question.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel for you, but unfortunately there is not much that can be done. Your I-730 doesn't fall outside the normal processing times, so really all you can do is wait and see what happens. As for EAD, there is also not much that can be done. I mean you can always file for another economic hardship EAD, but seeing that you are in F-1 status, it is doubtful that they will give it to you until after you graduate.

Actually, I have another successful approval to share. One of my father's compatriots who filed for his family living back home just received approval yesterday. He filed for them at the same time my father and the other guy did ( the other guy received his approval notice on Thursday/Friday for a reminder ).

I'm starting to wonder if they're starting to speed it up? Maybe its different for different countries? Who knows. Lets hope we all ( including me and the other ones whose family members are awaiting their approvals ) get approved soon too.

Senomen, I guess I have no other option than to wait. I'm hoping that they will do something about my ( and my mom and brother living back home ) application soon just like they did with my dad's friends' applications. As it appears all three people filed the applications from CA last May/June.

As far as the EAD is concerned, I had actually applied for it in September of 2006 under Economic Hardship. I got approved back then, I reapplied for it last September but I was denied in December ( still shaking my head on why they'd reject it ). After some deep thinking, I decided to reapply for it in April and I'm still waiting to hear about it.

Like I said before, I don't really have any other option than to wait.