I-485 Interview questions help!

blacksheep

Registered Users (C)
Ok, I did search but only found the links to the jgill site and I wanted more info!

So, here goes:

My wife and I have been married a year now. She is a US Citizen and I am on my H-1. Anyways, we filed for my adjustment of status and our interview is on thursday morning (Nebraska office)

We are a little nervous as to what kind of questions they will ask? We have the bills and all the paperwork they normally ask for so thats not an issue, just the questions.

She did have a prior marriage which lasted like 6 months (one of those stupid things you do in college) and she is afraid they will get on her case about this. :(

Anyways, any advice is appreciated. I am not sure if you need to get all dressed up for this interview, what kind of personal questions to expect etc etc....

Thanks a lot!

Thanks, that does help. Not many people from Nebraska Center, though!

Anyone else with any advice whatsoever, please post. We really appreciate it!

Thanks!

blacksheep said:
Thanks, that does help. Not many people from Nebraska Center, though!

They use the same training manuals anyways ;)

blacksheep said:
Anyone else with any advice whatsoever, please post. We really appreciate it!
Thanks!

Don't be nervous. Your marriage is genuine and legitimate and you will become a permanent resident on that day. There's nothing to be nervous about. ;)

GeorgeF - Thanks for the vote of confidence. :) I am just surprised we got called so soon. We applied in February 2004 and our name came up in September....Thats pretty impressive times, I think!

blacksheep said:
GeorgeF - Thanks for the vote of confidence. :) I am just surprised we got called so soon. We applied in February 2004 and our name came up in September....Thats pretty impressive times, I think!

Well, they say they are trying to cut down processing of all applications to 6 moths or less so I guess they are somewhat successful.

One thing is certain, they didn't call you so "early" because they think there's something wrong with your app.

Good luck on Thursday!

The interview went well. They asked us just one question as to where and how we met. They did examine all the paperwork thoroughly etc etc...

They stamped my passport and said I would see the card within 3 to 6 months... :D

Thanks!

blacksheep said:
The interview went well. They asked us just one question as to where and how we met. They did examine all the paperwork thoroughly etc etc...

They stamped my passport and said I would see the card within 3 to 6 months... :D

Thanks!

Right on! Congratulations!

K-3 visa -Do i need MEDICAL TEST AGAIN for AOS Interview in DEC 2004

Hi George F
I came to USA on a K3 visa, after getting my medical tests done in home country. Filed I-485 within 6 months of medical test. Now I have my AOS inteview in DEC 2004. Do I need to take medical tests again?
It's been over 1yr 9 months since I took them in my home country, just before coming to USA.I have gone through the details about medical examination for k-3 visa holders and i here with paste the same paragraph:

Rules and Regulations
Federal Register

This section of the FEDERAL REGISTER contains regulatory documents
having general applicability and legal effect, most of which are keyed
to and codified in the Code of Federal Regulations, which is published
under 50 titles pursuant to 44 U.S.C. 1510.

The Code of Federal Regulations is sold by the Superintendent of Documents.
Prices of new books are listed in the first FEDERAL REGISTER issue of each
week.

Medical Examinations

According to 8 CFR 245.5, aliens seeking to adjust status are
required to undergo a medical examination performed by a designated
civil surgeon to determine whether they are inadmissible under section
212(a)(1)(A) of the Act. To date, applicants for K nonimmigrant visas
have been required to obtain a medical examination abroad pursuant to
Department of State regulations at 22 CFR 41.81 prior to entry, and the
medical examination is not repeated if they apply for adjustment of
status within 1 year of the date the examination was performed. They
are, however, required to submit with the adjustment of status
application a vaccination assessment completed by a designated civil
surgeon in order to establish their compliance with the vaccination
requirements under section 212(a)(1)(A)(ii) of the Act.
The Service will continue this same policy for the K-3/K-4
nonimmigrants. K-3/K-4 nonimmigrants who file their adjustment of
status application within 1 year from the date of the medical
examination overseas will not have to submit an additional medical
examination. However, the Service notes that applicants whose medical
examinations overseas revealed a ``Class A'' or ``Class B'' condition
(as defined by 42 CFR 34.2(b)) must establish upon application for
adjustment of status that they complied with those conditions imposed
on the initial admission. Failure to comply with those conditions means
that a new medical examination will be required.

It lucidly says that the medical examination is not repeated if they apply for adjustment of status within 1 year of the date the examination was performed.

Since i filed I485 withing the stipulated time as stated above i may not be required medicals again as per my understanding but i still request if any k-3
visa holders who attended the AOS interview may kindly post their experience.
Further i also request George F to give his inputs if any.

Really appreciate any help. Also, what kind of questions can I expect?

devss

Hi All,
I am doing AOS thru Marriage I485. Do we need to do the Medical Exam as well??? Because we haven't done one and our lawyer did not say anything about it either? please assist

thank you

it is alarming that some lawyers just don't tell their clients all the basic info...of course u need to do the medical it is mandatory....u do not neccesarily need a lawyer so long as you are literate and can read and write...marriage based application is starightforward enough...use this site and www.uscis.gov often....

ncgirl said:
it is alarming that some lawyers just don't tell their clients all the basic info...of course u need to do the medical it is mandatory....u do not neccesarily need a lawyer so long as you are literate and can read and write...marriage based application is starightforward enough...use this site and www.uscis.gov often....

THanks NCGirl,
I just sent an email to my lawyer and included the information from the website asking for explanation. Thats ridiculous.

Hi JJBBKK,
I hope you have not sent off your application yet....all u need do is download all the forms needed from uscis.gov and read them over and over so u understand them very well..if u still decide to use a lawyer ok,but at least you know you are well informed of what is going on and what is expected so he doesn't throw you around like thrash....
goodluck to you!

You should check with your local center about the med exam. Some require med exam when you file, others want it on the day of the interview. It's different for every center. For example Pittsburgh local office (where I filed) doesn't want any med exam with the original submission. They want it on the day I am called for an interview. Other local offices might want it in the very beginning. It depends on the local procedure
The med exam is only valid for 10 months.

Last edited by a moderator: