I 485 got denied and time is running out, any that could help?

ztm grillo 99

Hi everybody,

I moved here in 2002 on a H1B Visa. In 2003 I applied for an i-130 through my father as an unmarried son of a US- citizen which got approved in August of 2007. here is my Dilemma.... I just got the I485 denied because of my priorety date being may 2002, my H1B is running out in the end of December. I got married to an Us citizen in April that I could use for an immediate green card I believe but i wouldn't be able to'work for 3-4 month and I have this great job offer that I almost took because I thought with the approved I130 i got an automatic work permit.
How can I get an immediate work permit or do I have the right to work already?
What can i do to take that job and not get anybody in trouble?
How bad would that trouble be?

Thanks for everybodies feedback and help in advance.

If you have applied for an I-485 through your wife, did you also apply for an EAD? In the meantime you can work on your H-1B status, assuming it is still valid.

I got married to an Us citizen in April that I could use for an immediate green card I believe but i wouldn't be able to'work for 3-4 month and I have this great job offer that I almost took because I thought with the approved I130 i got an automatic work permit.

How can I get an immediate work permit or do I have the right to work already?
File an I-130 and I-485 based on your wife's sponsorship, then after that or at the same time file I-765 to obtain an EAD (employment authorization). It is supposed to be processed in 3 months, but some people get lucky and get it in one month, while others are unlucky and it takes 4 to 6 months for them.

There are other associated documents that need to be filed as well. I would advise you to consult with a lawyer to assist you with finding out all that you need to do and reviewing the paperwork, given that you have large gaps in your knowledge of immigration processes (as evidenced by thinking that I-130 gives you the right to work). I don't mean have the lawyer process your stuff from end to end, which would cost thousands of dollars; I mean sit down with a lawyer for a couple of sessions for advice -- once to find out everything you need to gather, and a second time to review the paperwork before you send it in, which should cost a few hundred dollars total. Then send in the papers and use that knowledge to handle the rest of the process yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the advice. I think i will get in trouble without being able to work.
I just got from a lawyer the info about the required paperwork.
What is an EAD exactly?