i-485 form part 3 - nonimmigrant visa number

katie626

Registered Users (C)
hello,

i am filing i-485 & i-130 together for myself as my husband is a citizen. And, i am so confused and frustrated in preparing these myself.

on form i-485, i know 'nonimmigrant visa number' is the number on my visa which is in red. but, the visa is already expired and not valid. i transferred my h1b visa last year. should i still put the expired visa information there?

can anyone advise?

Yes put the visa number of the last visa you entered the US on there, irrespective of whether the visa is expired or not. The number in red. Also include a photocopy of the visa in your package.

in fact, my case is a bit more complicated....

i went to mexico for honeymoon without visa stamp using the AVR rule (automatic visa revalidation).
AVR rule allows someone with a valid, unexpired I-94 to travel to Canada or Mexico, for less than 30 days.

so, the information on my new i-94 card (received re-entering from Mexico) may be different from that's on my expired visa.
would that be okay?

here is my status:

Sep 2007 - H1B Visa from A Company
Oct 2009 - Got visa stamp in Korea (expiration date: Sep 2010)
Apr 2010 - Transfer to B Company and Get H1B Visa Approval
Apr 2011 - Got married and went to Mexico using AVR
May 2011 - Re-entered USA, got a new I-94 at the airport

Visa and I-94 are different things. You have to submit BOTH a copy of the visa AND the LATEST I-94. There is no complication at all.