I-485 approved-- how soon can I change my job--pl advise

raja10

Registered Users (C)
:confused:
My 485 got approved on 10 Aug 2004, I got the stamp in the passport. Now my wife and kid's 485 was filed a week before my approval date , hence their status is 485 pending.
I would appreciate if somebody can advise me if its OK for me to change my job at this stage???will it affect the 485 for my wife and kid. There's no mention anywhere that I am supposed to stay with my sponsor for six months or more, but I have heard like that.

raja10 said:
:confused:
My 485 got approved on 10 Aug 2004, I got the stamp in the passport. Now my wife and kid's 485 was filed a week before my approval date , hence their status is 485 pending.
I would appreciate if somebody can advise me if its OK for me to change my job at this stage???will it affect the 485 for my wife and kid. There's no mention anywhere that I am supposed to stay with my sponsor for six months or more, but I have heard like that.

Regarding job change, there were enough discussion in "Life after GC" subforum. Use search feature.

Answering your second question, your wife and kid's I-485s are based on the relations with you - marriage and child. Their AOS are NOT tied to your employment. However, it's possible that in interview/RFE they can ask for ability to support - that means proof of your earning. It could be an issue if you are unemployed, but not when you change job.

well, Even though I am not a lawyer, I have heard that some people said that they should stay with their sponsor for a year (a year is better and safe than 6 months.)

In my opinion, it is not okay to change jobs right away after GC approval. Just wait for a year. Also, it is not okay to change jobs while your wife and kids's 485s are pending because they will ask for your employment letter or paystubs or tax returns or other documents like support documents if their RFE(s) are issued. By the way, AC-21 does not apply to your GC approval while your wife/kid's 485 is pending because your 485 is already approved.

I know the rule was not mentioned anywhere, but listen to most lawyers' advices. According to most lawyer's advices, if you leave your employer on your own, it is a fraud because you agreed to intend to work for your sponsor at the time of your GC approval and after your GC approval. If you are laid off by your sponsor after GC approval, it is not your fault so it is not a fraud. I can't remember rule about what if someone is terminated because it is a different story.

How did BCIS know that someone changed his/her job right away after his/her 485 approved? They know because they have network system like social security numbers that can be tracked or at the time of applying for citizenship, they can revoke his/her GC.

Just wait for a year (6 months may be okay. It is up to you, but at the time of applying for citizenships, they will bring up questions, but I don't know).

Last edited by a moderator:
USGC485 said:
Also, it is not okay to change jobs while your wife and kids's 485s are pending because they will ask for your employment letter or paystubs or tax returns or other documents like support documents if their RFE(s) are issued.

Not true exactly. For wife or child, USCIS never going to ask for any EVL. All they will ask you is whether your household (you + your wife) income more than 125% of poverty line. Point to note that, when it comes to derivative's AOS - your can combine ALL incomes from all the members of household and show as total income. Basically they will look if you/your dependents are potential public charge or not. How you or your wife earn - does not matter. It's possible that you are laid off immediately after getting GC and your wife is earning $60000 per year on EAD. That's Ok too and USCIS cannot deny your dependents AOS on the ground that you are unemployed.

But if you already submitted your affidavit of support with your wife and kid's I-485 application, it's unlikely your will get RFE/interview regarding this issue. For employment based AOS, it's very rare for that kind of RFE/interview.
It mostly happens for family based AOS.