I-20\'s not available for interview! Help

ec

Registered Users (C)
I have lost my I-20\'s and I read a lot of postings that when attending the interview the I-20\'s were asked.
What should I do? Will INS deny my I-485 because of absent I-20\'s? Can I show anything else in place of
I-20\'s when asked?

Anyone in same situation and had experience?

Please help?

No Title

Hello,

If you have a XEROX copy of the I20 then that should be fine or you can goto the school where you attended and contact the International Student Advisor for a copy of this. They will definitely have this as per law.

Bhanu

No Title

I do have a copy. However, It is only the front of I-20, not the back which I assume bears the work authorization from the international student advisor.

I contacted the student advisor, which is a new advisor instead of the one when I attended the school, she said they only keep the file in their office for up to 5 years and I graduated about 8 years ago so they don\'t have a record.

In terms of proving authorization for off-campus work, the co-op office issued a letter that says I was approved to work as an curricular-related internship off-campus. Also, on my transcript, it says co-op at the company. Is that enough for the interview?

Please advise.

No Title

"Also, did you apply for an EAD then? "

I did not, beacause it was a curricular-related internship position which only requires the endorsment of the International Student Advisor on the back of the I-20. This type of off-campus work does not require INS approval.

But I just happen to have lost the I-20 and did not make copy of the back of it which bears the endorsment. But I do a letter from the co-op internship office to prove I was approved.

Besides, it was in the last semester which lasted only 120 days (less than 180 days even if INS considers that illegal work). I also left and re-entered U.S. with H-1B later on. So I guess I am covered by 245k (w/o $1000 fine). At least I am covered by 245i (w $1000 fine).

Please advise how INS will go about in my situation.

No Title

Was your off-campus work as a part of "PRACTICAL TRAINING"? If that is the case, then you need an EAD.
If not, you should contact the International Students office and get a letter from them as to what were the circumstances under which you were authroized to work.

In any case, since your employment is less than 180 days, you should be fine.

Good Luck

No Title

Based on your further details, you should be fine. However, 245(i) option ends on April 30 and hence is not an option for you. Bottomline , don\'t worry and you don\'t even have to think of 245(i).

Bhanu

No Title

"Was your off-campus work as a part of PRACTICAL TRAINING?"

No, it was not. I did have an EAD for practical training.
This off-campus work was an co-op internship position offered thru the school\'s co-op office approved by the international student advisor. Which, according to INS regulations, do not need INS approval, because it was curricular-related.

The co-op office does have a record of this on their computer and they already issued a letter that explains the nature of the internship work and I was authorized by them.

"However, 245(i) option ends on April 30 and hence is not an option for you."

Why is 245(i) not an option for me? I have already done my labor certificate and I-140 long before the deadline (4-30-01), why am I not covered by 245(i)?????

Thanks again.

No Title

I am also in the same boat, But INS has asked me for copies of I-20 back and front page. I donot have the back page.
Question for you,
Did you get an RFE asking for I-20\'s and EAD\'s?
Also when and were are you called for an interview?
Please keep in touch.