I 140 & I485 filing

sakela

Registered Users (C)
I 140 & I485 filing

Can I file I 485 after my I 140 is cleared? The reason I am asking this is because I do not have birth certificate & vaccination documents right now, I have to get them from India and that will take some time. Therefore I am thinking of filing I 140 now and once I have all papers I will file I 485. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

Yes you can do that. I did the same thing. I filed my I-140 in January and I-485 in April. Cause I did not have all the documents. But filing I-485 as early as possible will start your six month clock early . In case if you want to switch jobs.
Hope this helps.

I 140 & I 485 filing separately

I want to file I 140 & I 485 separately.
Now the question is can I file I 485, even though my I 140 is not cleared?
Is there any time limit when should I file I 485?

Thanks in advance.

Yes you can file them separately. There is no time limit. You can wait till your I-140 approval or file it when its pending. Its all upto you.

Birth Certificate

Thank for your response.

I still have one question.

My lawyer sent the check list of documents required to file I-140, which includes birth certificate. Do we really need that at a time of filing just I-140? Is that really a requirement?

Thank you again in advance

No, he probably sent you the list of the documents needed for I-485 as well. But you dont need the B. Cert. at I-140 filing. But you will need it when you file I-485.

Rajiv,

You say you filed 140 in Jan and 485 in April. My 140 and 485 dates are pretty much the same. Have you heard from BCIS, either approval or rfe regarding either of them or your EAD and AP. I havent received any response for any of them, nor to any inquiries my lawyer submitted. Mine was EB3.

Thanks in advance for any news.
Thunderstruck