I-140, EAD, AP approvals, what's next?

bjorn

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
Can someone please make a simple list outlining what the final steps are in getting the green card following the I-140, EAD, and AP approvals. I have heard that my file will be transferred to the local USCIS office, finger printing needs to be done, biometrics, I-485 approval, interview, etc. Also, am I supposed to initiate any of these, or will the USCIS send me a letter telling me what to do next? Thanks for your help.

bjorn said:
Hello,
Can someone please make a simple list outlining what the final steps are in getting the green card following the I-140, EAD, and AP approvals. I have heard that my file will be transferred to the local USCIS office

Most Employment based cases do not have an interview. Most are not transferred either. If they feel there is something they want to check out more closely then they might transfer and interview.
, finger printing needs to be done, biometrics, I-485 approval, interview, etc.
Also, am I supposed to initiate any of these, or will the USCIS send me a letter telling me what to do next? Thanks for your help.

After I-485 approval you will get a letter telling you to appear for Biometrics so your card can be made. You will appear for a pic, signature, and index fingerprint. The USCIS will send you notices for everyhting you need to do. Just follow the directions on your letters. Most centers WILL NOT stamp your passport now. In the new procedure you just appear for Biometrics and your card will be mailed to you when ready. The timeline now is quite short. A couple of months.
When the card is ordered your message on the USCIS site, if you have one set up, will say so. When mailed the message will be updated also.

Thanks for your insightfulnes, grunggy. You mention the word biometrics, but on the USCIS website it keeps talking about fingerprinting. Obviously, fingerprinting is the most common form of biometrics, but to be sure, is fingerprinting also what you mean by saying biometrics??? Thanks a bunch, your knowledge is most appreciated. Last, I am not affected by retrogression and case is EB2. What is/was your timeline/wait before you received the USCIS letter and was able to do these things once the I-140 was approved, assuming you had no retrogression to worry about?

well it is sleep time of kumbhkaran if your PD is after 2001,

bjorn said:
Hello,
Can someone please make a simple list outlining what the final steps are in getting the green card following the I-140, EAD, and AP approvals. I have heard that my file will be transferred to the local USCIS office, finger printing needs to be done, biometrics, I-485 approval, interview, etc. Also, am I supposed to initiate any of these, or will the USCIS send me a letter telling me what to do next? Thanks for your help.

bjorn said:
Thanks for your insightfulnes, grunggy. You mention the word biometrics, but on the USCIS website it keeps talking about fingerprinting. Obviously, fingerprinting is the most common form of biometrics, but to be sure, is fingerprinting also what you mean by saying biometrics??? Thanks a bunch, your knowledge is most appreciated. Last, I am not affected by retrogression and case is EB2. What is/was your timeline/wait before you received the USCIS letter and was able to do these things once the I-140 was approved, assuming you had no retrogression to worry about?

Biometrics = pic, signature, and index fingerprint
My signature tells you most of the details you were asking. I received my approval letter within days of my LUD changing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if it's sleep time for me. My priority date is November 2003, but I am not affected by retrogression whatsoever so my priority date is irrelevant, as my I-485 case now is all about processing date. My case is EB2 and country is from European Union, and according to both the September and October visa bulletins, visa numbers are currently available for me and have always been available. Also, I understand that I could NOT have gotten EAD and AP approvals if I was affected by retrogression as they both are tied to the I-485 and available visa numbers, and I received both EAD and AP approvals within 2 weeks of filing and getting the the I-140 approval.

bjorn said:
I'm not sure if it's sleep time for me. My priority date is November 2003, but I am not affected by retrogression whatsoever so my priority date is irrelevant, as my I-485 case now is all about processing date. My case is EB2 and country is from European Union, and according to both the September and October visa bulletins, visa numbers are currently available for me and have always been available. Also, I understand that I could NOT have gotten EAD and AP approvals if I was affected by retrogression as they both are tied to the I-485 and available visa numbers, and I received both EAD and AP approvals within 2 weeks of filing and getting the the I-140 approval.

Since you have an I-485 filed you could always get an EAD or an AP. The visa number situation has no bearing on these. If your case retrogressed it WOULD NOT effect the approval or renewing of these benefits. They are conferred by a filed I-485 and nothing else. :)
It's just a waiting game for you you now. The last step is I-485 approval.
It may go quite quick once retrogression hits the other countries in October.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks grunggy. I am very ensouraged by your reasoning that when retrogression hits in October, it can speed up other cases NOT affected by retrogression. Your point makes total sense.