I-140 Applications in Security Check

Geekster said:
I've heard cases where people don't hear about their I140 approval within the 15-day limit because of the background check. If that's true, there's no point to convert to PP if you are stuck in I140 background check.

Anyone can shed some light on this?
is there any way I can find out if I am stuck with security check ??

mgupta2050 said:
is there any way I can find out if I am stuck with security check ??
Please take a infopass appointment and you will find out. But if you haven't filed 485, then you need not worry much. But it still worth to find out what is happening.

hellogc_2006 said:
Please take a infopass appointment and you will find out. But if you haven't filed 485, then you need not worry much. But it still worth to find out what is happening.
no i haven't filed 485 ..its probably long way due to retrogression...I still wanna find out I140 status as it was filed in Begining of May and I got NO update on LUD at all except 7/22. People are seem to be getting approval from July and August,2006.

Could you share more about infopass appointment etc...how do i get one and where from ?

My 140 filed on May 2 2006. EB2. LUD 7/22. Still pending? Can I take infopasss appt or my attorney or employer should? I did not file 485

mgupta2050 said:
no i haven't filed 485 ..its probably long way due to retrogression...I still wanna find out I140 status as it was filed in Begining of May and I got NO update on LUD at all except 7/22. People are seem to be getting approval from July and August,2006.

Could you share more about infopass appointment etc...how do i get one and where from ?

punjabi007 said:
Thanks HelloGc, I called and spoke to agent for good 10 min, she was great but told me the same thing security check, although it has been two year since I applied 140/485. She told me that there is comment on my 140 for SC but says hold for futher clarification but she thinks this due to security check.
I asked her if there is anyway I can expedite it she said not she knows off.

I DON:T KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW.
I again talked to NSC agent today and she was saying that the I140 is waiting for to be assigned to an officer. I didn't ask for my name check this time. She told me that I140 having sub LC is not the delay of my case. But I still believe that they are holding my 140 because of NC.

Last edited by a moderator:
hellogc_2006 said:
Use the below link to take infopass appointment. You can select - talk to immigration officer option - when you select the purpose.

http://infopass.uscis.gov/index.php

Thanks!
thanks heloGC...do you ro any one else here think -would they really be able to tell us any more update than wha tthey tell us on the phone or whats on website by meeting them personnally ?

Need your opinion about this before i take appointment as I can see the dates they have dates like for 2marrow so i can pretty much go any time...Also do i need to tell my lawyer about it ?

mgupta2050 said:
thanks heloGC...do you ro any one else here think -would they really be able to tell us any more update than wha tthey tell us on the phone or whats on website by meeting them personnally ?

Need your opinion about this before i take appointment as I can see the dates they have dates like for 2marrow so i can pretty much go any time...Also do i need to tell my lawyer about it ?
You may be able to get more info with the appointment and you don't have to tell the attorney about this.

Did you try calling NSC (not talking to customer support representative)? That would be useful too. You need to follow the 1800 sequence that was posted in page 9 by hopefor2007 (message 126) to reach NSC agent.

Best wishes

hellogc_2006 said:
Use the below link to take infopass appointment. You can select - talk to immigration officer option - when you select the purpose.

http://infopass.uscis.gov/index.php

Thanks!
Ummmm,,Interesting...I didn't knew that. I will call 2marrow ..although my lawyer already opened service ticket for my case...
I will let you know what they tell me

mgupta2050 said:
Ummmm,,Interesting...I didn't knew that. I will call 2marrow ..although my lawyer already opened service ticket for my case...
I will let you know what they tell me
I called twice .

First time, he almost shouted on me why I called that number as thats not open to general public
Second time , lady said you have to be petitioner or Lawyer to make any query and gave me no update at all

May be i have a bad luck

In Security Check

Oh Boy....

My labor was filled in July 2002.
It finally got Certified in September of 2006. over 4 years.

In September we filled for the I-140.

In December my priority date became current so we filled the I-485/EAD/AP

After three weeks they returned the I-485 application that our Priority date was not current and we did not file the original labor certification with I-140. Both incorrect. Date was current and we did file the original. There was no RFE on I-140.

In January we filled the I-485/EAD/AP again, things moved this time we got the fingerprinting done, My wife has been issued EAD and AP. But not me.

We also upgraded the I-140 to premium in January. After 18days my Lawyer called and spoke to the immigration officer. He said my I-140 is pending Additional Security Checks, so they will return the premium processing fee and there is no time line the Security Checks will be complete. Once the Checks will be complete my case will be sent back to the processing center.

So make room for me on this sinking boat...... :(

Generally, when the case is sent for security check is it safe to assume any questions related to RFE are already taken care and case is exclusiely pending for security clearance?

There are no updates on my case, as on today I have completed 60 days since RFE was received by NSC and tried to contact customer service but I was told as a beneficiary I am not suppose to call the number. I am not sure whether my case is stuck in security clearance.

Looking at the trend it looks like security checks for I140 are specific to applicants whose priority dates are current and waited for longest since filing labor application.

I 140 Approved

Ultimately my I 140 is approved after 4 Years and 8 Months.

It was under security check for long time, was transferred to local office, was trasferred back to NSC, issued an RFE , RFE Mail Returned to NSC, Changed Address, RFE Sent again, Submitted RFE Docs, And it's approved NOW.

Thanks God.

arvindbpatel said:

It was under security check for long time, was transferred to local office, was trasferred back to NSC, issued an RFE , RFE Mail Returned to NSC, Changed Address, RFE Sent again, Submitted RFE Docs, And it's approved NOW.

Thanks God.

Congratulations arvindbpatel!!!

I didn't realize that i-140 adjudication also involves a security check. I thought the security check is limited to i-485 petitions only.

USCIS confirmed that my i-485 is pending the security check (RD: January 2006).

arvindbpatel said:

Thanks God.
Great! Arvindpatel. Congratulation. What is your 485 status? Did you already apply 485?

Best wishes

mgupta2050 said:
I called twice .

First time, he almost shouted on me why I called that number as thats not open to general public
Second time , lady said you have to be petitioner or Lawyer to make any query and gave me no update at all

May be i have a bad luck
You can keep calling them once in a while and at one point you should able to get the status.

Is Security check only if we file both 140/485?

Do they do the check even if we file 140 alone?

GCsick2002 said:
Oh Boy....

My labor was filled in July 2002.
It finally got Certified in September of 2006. over 4 years.

In September we filled for the I-140.

In December my priority date became current so we filled the I-485/EAD/AP

After three weeks they returned the I-485 application that our Priority date was not current and we did not file the original labor certification with I-140. Both incorrect. Date was current and we did file the original. There was no RFE on I-140.

In January we filled the I-485/EAD/AP again, things moved this time we got the fingerprinting done, My wife has been issued EAD and AP. But not me.

We also upgraded the I-140 to premium in January. After 18days my Lawyer called and spoke to the immigration officer. He said my I-140 is pending Additional Security Checks, so they will return the premium processing fee and there is no time line the Security Checks will be complete. Once the Checks will be complete my case will be sent back to the processing center.

So make room for me on this sinking boat...... :(