I-130 Processing Completed at NVC

osaeed

Registered Users (C)
Well, after 3 months at the NVC, my I-130 processing is complete, now the app goes to Islamabad. There my wife will fill out DS 230 Part II (as Part I and I-864 review were completed by NVC), have her medical, then the interview.

My wife received her K3 visa on 9/16, but we opted for consular processing instead of AOS since I was going to be unable to go and help her move until Nov/Dec anyway. Now it looks like I can plan my trip around her I-130 interview. It will be nice to have her enter the US as CR-1!

omer

Full NVC timeline below

---------------------

7/15 -- I-130 Approved by CSC
7/22 -- NVC receives case from CSC
8/13 -- I receive I-864 from NVC and copy of agent choice letter
8/18 -- Wife receives ACL from NVC, designates me as agent
8/19 -- NVC St. Louis receives I-864 from me
8/22 -- NVC NH receives ACL from wife
8/23 -- St. Louis cashes I-864 check
8/29 -- I-864 arrives in St. Louis
9/13 -- I receive DS-230 packet
9/16 -- St. Louis receives DS-230 Part I (I already had a DS-230 pre-filled and signed by my wife)
9/26 -- St. Louis cashes DS-230 check
10/7 -- NVC NH receives DS-230, starts review of DS-230 Part Iand I-864, which is supposed to take 6-8 weeks.
10/24 -- NVC Completes review, sends to Islamabad, which is supposed to take 2-4 weeks

Dear Osaeed:

Can you please expand on the time line. I may be asking questions that are commong knowledge.

I am assuming that parts of the time line will work similarly for F4 beneficiaries.

1. I am assuming that I-864 & copy of agent of choice letter is recieved by the petitioner when the priority date is about to be current ( I Know this did not apply to your spouse as as an Immediate Relative )

2. Under what circumstances should the beneficairy designate the petitioner as agent? I am asuuming then everything will come to you the petitioner and one has to then forward everything to the beneficiary

3. Is the NVC St. Louis the only office designated to recieve the I-864? If I am in NJ area, will some other office get the I-864?

4. Is the DS-230 packet issued by the NVC St Louis only after the paperwork is deemed to be complete by St. Louis?

5. Why is all the paperwork then sent to NVC, NH. Are they the final get keepers to send the paerwork to the US Mission.

The gist of your timeline means that if you are on top of everything from the I-864 to St. Louis, it will take at least 3-4 months for the paper work to reach the US Consulate.

I am trying to clarify the process because we will have to do this 3 times for 3 siblings and their families next year.

Obviously, the logistics of doing the paperwork are different from one's spouse. That is why I am trying to understand the process so we can plan for it and keep the process moving.

Thanks

Depending on the consulate you are dealing with, the NVC will play different roles. Eventually, most immigrant visa processing will be similar to what I describe.

Here are some useful links about NVC.

General NVC information
http://travel.state.gov/nvc.html

Consulates designated for the procedure I went through
http://www.shrmglobal.org/function/immigration/fd040902b.htm

Recent thread on another immigration board about recent changes in NVC procedure for I-140 (process similar to I-130).

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61638

Specific answers to your questions

Question 1
I believe you are correct (as you said, I did not have a priority date since it was an immediate relative)

Question 2
I did not want to deal with having items sent via regular mail to my wife in Pakistan, so I acted as the agent, and we Fedexed forms back and forth as necessary.

Question 3
Once INS is done with it's processing, NVC takes over. There is only one NVC office (in New Hampshire). St. Louis is just a mail collection agency for NVC.

Question 4
NVC sends the DS-230 packet after it receives the Agent Choice Letter

Question 5
NVC is now meant to do some pre-processing of the application before it goes to the US Consulate overseas. In my case, the consulate will just review the medical reports and conduct the final interview. Everything else (financials, etc) is done at NVC.

Good luck

omer

omer

Your answers have been extremely helpful. When there is an update at your end, please do share with the board.

Good Luck

A further update

10/29 NVC sends packet to Islamabad
11/01 Islamabad Receives Packet from NVC

NVC had told me it takes 10-15 days for the packet to reach Islamabad. I called the consulate last night to try to open a provisional file, they said they had already received the file but had not yet sent out packet 4. They verified my wife's contact info and asked whether I wanted the packet to be sent by Pakistan Post or via courier COD. I chose the latter, they said they will mail it out tomorrow.

The packet will contain DS-230 Part II, medical exam info, and interview info. As far as I understood, my wife will mail back DS-230 Part II and police certificates. After a review of 10-15 days, they will schedule an interview 30 days out. She will take the medical reports on the date of the interview.

Since I am going to Islamabad over Thanksgiving to pick up my wife (on her K3), I asked if there was any way to speed up the 30 day period. The consular officer told me to come in while I am there and they will see what they can do. Otherwise, we will return to Islamabad over Christmas/New Years for the interview.

omer

Osaeed ! ! !

How are you able to track all these steps one after the other? Do they post these stages on the ins status online page or how? My case was approved a week ago. Which I was able to confirm online through the INS status online look up. I will also like for you to shed more light on the issue of the agent. What does it take to be ones spouse;s agent? Do you have to call or is the form included in first set of forms that you received from NVC? Does your wife have to sign this form? Please, I will appreciate if you help throw more light. I will like you to define some of the abbreviations you used like AOS and the other.
Thanks and waiting anxiouly to read your reply.
Oluyi.

Congratulations on the approval. Was it a K3 or I-130?

Once you get outside of the INS hellhole, it is much easier to track your case. I would regularly call (once a week) the National Visa Center (NVC) and the consulate to find out status of my case at the appropriate statges. NVC procedures have recently changed on I-130. You should call them to confirm what packets you will be receiving (if I-130) at 603-334-0700. The sometimes do not answer, so just let the phone ring. But their operators are much more helpful than INS.

AOS = Adjustment of Status (if you enter on a K3 visa and do not want to return to your home country for the green card interview, you have to file for Adjustment of Status with from I-485).

As for the Agent Choice Letter, my wife had to sign the form. NVC sent my wife an original and me a copy. I could (should) have faxed it to her so that she could send it back to NVC sooner, but she waited for her copy (received it 1 week after me). It is a ridiculously simple form, a shame that you have to wait on the NVC to generate it.

I probably won't be checking this forum for a few days as I am on my way to Paksitan, and I will probably have limited access there the next 2 weeks, so best of luck.

omer

Thanks for your swift responce. I-130 is what I filed with INS. Do you think I should call NVC even though I have not received any mail from them. I only learnt about this approval over the net as indicated in my previous posting.
Thanks ,
Oluyi

Omer!

AoA! Omer,
Just checking I was the silent reader of your posts. Did not see the udpate on your case. Please post any details of your final trip. Thanks.

Lahore01,

If your sister just got the approval notice for I-130, it is time to start getting in touch with the National Visa Center (NVC). Their phone number is 603-334-0700. The number is often busy, keep retrying. Once you get in, their operators are quite helpful and knowledgeable, unlike INS. The timelines they gave me were almost always correct, and they are your best bet for all the differences in procedures for different countries. After my I-130 was approved, I was talking to NVC about every 2 weeks to check status and ask about next steps. The case was at NVC for about 3 months.

omer