I-130 Petition for Parents of US Citizens through Consular Processing.

Pleaseee some help here!
Have this happened to any of you guys? After my I130 was approved, it never got send to NVC, after 3 months of trying to find out whats going on, they sent me this email:

Dear Sir/Madam:

Please be advised that the National Visa Center (NVC) contacted U.S.
Citizenship Immigration Service (USCIS) in regards to your approved
petition. USCIS has informed us that your petition has been retained at
the San Antonio, TX Field Office (SNA). We sent a follow up email to
USCIS (SNA) about the progression on your case. Please allow 15 business
days for USCIS to respond to us.

What does it mean retained? Its something wrong with it? Please please if any of you have any idea of what it means, let me know, Im starting to really stress out about this. Thank you in advance.

Great thread, thanks OP for starting it!!

I mailed my parents I-130 on 4/26, and the priority date in 4/29. Reading this thread, I understand that it will take ~5 months for approval, but I will like to get documents ready for the next step. I know that my parents need to get Non-Availability of birth certificate, and then 2 affidavits for their birth. Problem is my dad is 75 and is the eldest living child. How do we get affidavits from someone who knows about his birth, like someone who is 90 years old or something??

Also, can someone please provide a list of other documents required for next step or till they are granted visa? Reading this thread, it seems like police clearance certificate (PCC) is also needed. I didn't see a mention of it in the list of docs required on USCIS site. Is it something new? How long is this PCC valid? They have lived at the current address for 25 years, and in same city for 33 years. Will they need PCC from this city only or other cities too?

Hi Ludhianvi,
Its not required to be elder than your father to provide the affidavit. I had one from my dad's younger brother & one from elder sister. You can have from some neighbor also.
My parents got police clearance from the local police station where they lived from birth. I am not sure why its not showing on the list from USCIS but it is always better to get something extra which can probably delay the processing.
The process to get PCC is , someone need to go SSP office & ask for PCC (may be a form need to be filled), SSP office sends it to DSP office which will forward it to local police station. Once the local police station verifies everything it goes back to DSP-->SSP & SSP office will issue PCC.

That's what my parents did :)

Great thread, thanks OP for starting it!!

I mailed my parents I-130 on 4/26, and the priority date in 4/29. Reading this thread, I understand that it will take ~5 months for approval, but I will like to get documents ready for the next step. I know that my parents need to get Non-Availability of birth certificate, and then 2 affidavits for their birth. Problem is my dad is 75 and is the eldest living child. How do we get affidavits from someone who knows about his birth, like someone who is 90 years old or something??

Also, can someone please provide a list of other documents required for next step or till they are granted visa? Reading this thread, it seems like police clearance certificate (PCC) is also needed. I didn't see a mention of it in the list of docs required on USCIS site. Is it something new? How long is this PCC valid? They have lived at the current address for 25 years, and in same city for 33 years. Will they need PCC from this city only or other cities too?

Thanks a lot for the reply, Sukhi!!

Question, how can your dad's younger brother claim that he is familiar with the birth (something that I had to do for my BC..may be the wording is different now)...Can you please provide a sample of the affidavit? If there is a link that you used, can you point me the link, or I can PM you my email address, and you can email me a copy of the affidavit (if you are comfortable).

My parents do not live in their place of birth now, that is why I was wondering about the PCC. I cant find any instructions...also is there a time limit on how long PCC is valid? I think I read somewhere in this thread that it is only valid for 3 months..is is true?

Thanks once again.

Hi Ludhianvi,
Its not required to be elder than your father to provide the affidavit. I had one from my dad's younger brother & one from elder sister. You can have from some neighbor also.
My parents got police clearance from the local police station where they lived from birth. I am not sure why its not showing on the list from USCIS but it is always better to get something extra which can probably delay the processing.
The process to get PCC is , someone need to go SSP office & ask for PCC (may be a form need to be filled), SSP office sends it to DSP office which will forward it to local police station. Once the local police station verifies everything it goes back to DSP-->SSP & SSP office will issue PCC.

That's what my parents did :)

Does anyone knows how to get a hold of the moderator??? I posted some important info for LUDHIANVI and it seems that they just skip my post. There is other responses posted but mine.

When I posted a long comment, i got a message saying that the moderator needed to approve my post first.. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I think PCC is valid for 6 months. I will double check & let you know if this is mentioned on PCC. I will also check & send you the wording of affidavit.

Thanks a lot for the reply, Sukhi!!

Question, how can your dad's younger brother claim that he is familiar with the birth (something that I had to do for my BC..may be the wording is different now)...Can you please provide a sample of the affidavit? If there is a link that you used, can you point me the link, or I can PM you my email address, and you can email me a copy of the affidavit (if you are comfortable).

My parents do not live in their place of birth now, that is why I was wondering about the PCC. I cant find any instructions...also is there a time limit on how long PCC is valid? I think I read somewhere in this thread that it is only valid for 3 months..is is true?

Thanks once again.

Thanks a lot, Sukhi!! I shall be waiting for wording of the affidavit.

Thanks!!

I think PCC is valid for 6 months. I will double check & let you know if this is mentioned on PCC. I will also check & send you the wording of affidavit.

Receipt number of father/mother application cannot be found

Hello everyone,
I wanted to thank you all of you for sharing your Experiences during this process..

I'm a US citizen and recently mailed my parent petitions (by separated) to Chicago. I'll in NJ and my parents live in Mexico.

I mailed the I-130 package on March 4th to Chicago then I received both notices ne week after - dated March 8th with the receipt number..

It's been two months since then and I'm trying to sign in for updates at the USCIS web site but when I enter the both receipt numbers (mother & Father notice number) appear like it cannot be found in the system..
I tried to call twice already but it seems like it does not show at their system either, the two people who assisted me tried to transfer to a different depth saying that he or she did not have access to my case but the different department has a 3 hour waiting and I tried calling back today but they said their system was not working..

Any of you guys have this type of experience …? As I'm worry that they had lost my documents …

Any idea what is the normal lead time process for MO office?
Also, I would like to start preparing the next package for NVC center… exactly what documents I need to gather… I really wish my parents can come before the summer ends..

Good Luck to everyone on your process and thank you in advance for your help.

3/04/13 - I-130 Package Mailed
3/06/13 - Package received by MO Office
3/08/13 - I-797C notice of action receipt.

Good news..... My mother's VISA was finally issued Thursday 05/09 after receiving 221g blue slip and being placed under the AP (Adminstrative Processing) since 4/10 for missing documents (NVC lost my original birth certs...& we had to provide a new one to the Consulate).

My father's case is moving very well @ NVC. I just paid the DS-230 (IV) fee and would be sending the civil documents sometimes next week or the following week.

Hello fellow members,

After waiting for a long seven months with "Initial Review" status, I have just got an update on the case with an RFE.
Yet to receive the notice to find out what additional information they are looking for.

Is there anyone got an RFE between Initial filing and I-130 approval? It would be great if you can share with us as what additional evidence requested.

Thanks
Manny11

I-130 Petition (Mother)
- 10/10/12: I-130 Sent via USPS to Chicago
- 10/20/12: NOA Rec'd with a receipt date of 10/18/2012
- 05/08/13: Received RFE notification

Hello fellow members,

Here is the update on the RFE. Its on my birth certificate due to 'delayed registration' as I have got the birth certificate issued when I was 24 years old. I was asked to provide secondary evidence, that was issued closer to my birth. Unfortunately some of the secondary evidence mentioned on the notice would not be possible. For instance, school certificate which only has my father's name on it. We have Heir certificate in native language issued when I was three years old. We are getting it translated and notarized by a notary public. Hope this would help.

We are also thinking to get two affidavits from close relatives who is aware of my birth. But not sure this would help as it will be dated now.

If you can think of any other documents please let me know. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I-130 Petition (Mother)
- 10/10/12: I-130 Sent via USPS to Chicago
- 10/20/12: NOA Rec'd with a receipt date of 10/18/2012
- 05/08/13: Received RFE on BC for delayed registration

As per USCIS representative, the case first gets picked up by NBC and then it gets routed to the local field office. At least that is what happened in my case.

You are correct. Unfortunately there is no way to find the timeline for the local field office. Every time when I contacted USCIS, I was told to wait. After seven months of long wait with 'Initial review', I have just got an update on my case with an RFE :mad:

Yet to receive the notice to see what additional evidence that they are looking for.

-Manny11

Thanks for your reply Manny11, hope all goes well with you case.

I guess here most of the cases are for CP (consular processing).
May I ask what did you mention on form I-130 part C question 22?
Did you leave it blank?
Should we answer the second part of the question?
If yes, The wording of the question is kind of misleading, it starts with "if" which the "if" clause is wrong when it is a CP case.
Also it says if you specify a consulate, it is not guaranteed to be set to that. But maybe it helps to be set to what is best for your relative (parents) if something is specified as the answer. Do you think so?
Any experience is greatly appreciated to learn from, thank you all :)

Edit[1]: This is the question 22:
22. Complete the information below if your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status.
Your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident at USCIS office in: City................ State...........
If your relative is not eligible for adjustment of status, he or she will apply for a visa abroad at the American consular post in:
City.......................... Country................
NOTE: Designation of a U.S. embassy or consulate outside the country of your relative's last residence does not guarantee for processing by that post. Acceptance is at the discretion of the designated embassy or consulate.

*** Edit[2]: Is this true that if the answer to the second question (which you don't need to answer since the first "if" misleads you that this question is not for people in CP) is not provided, then USCIS doesn't send the approved file to NVC and petitioner needs to file I-824 and pay another $405 and wait for some more time so the case is sent to NVC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats jl_colin......finally after such a long wait!

Thanks smile1. I have been inactive here since I was vacationning in Hawaii with my family. It was great to finally see my mom's visa granted. My dad's case is going very quick as well.

Question 22

I guess here most of the cases are for CP (consular processing).
May I ask what did you mention on form I-130 part C question 22?
Did you leave it blank?
Should we answer the second part of the question?
If yes, The wording of the question is kind of misleading, it starts with "if" which the "if" clause is wrong when it is a CP case.
Also it says if you specify a consulate, it is not guaranteed to be set to that. But maybe it helps to be set to what is best for your relative (parents) if something is specified as the answer. Do you think so?
Any experience is greatly appreciated to learn from, thank you all :)

Edit[1]: This is the question 22:
22. Complete the information below if your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status.
Your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident at USCIS office in: City................ State...........
If your relative is not eligible for adjustment of status, he or she will apply for a visa abroad at the American consular post in:
City.......................... Country................
NOTE: Designation of a U.S. embassy or consulate outside the country of your relative's last residence does not guarantee for processing by that post. Acceptance is at the discretion of the designated embassy or consulate.

*** Edit[2]: Is this true that if the answer to the second question (which you don't need to answer since the first "if" misleads you that this question is not for people in CP) is not provided, then USCIS doesn't send the approved file to NVC and petitioner needs to file I-824 and pay another $405 and wait for some more time so the case is sent to NVC?

Greetings Immigrant 2B

This is what I found out while filing my paperwork. If your relative is in the United states (let's say on visitor visa) and will apply for adjustment of status while in the US, than you answer the question but if your relative is not in the united states than you leave it blank. In this case I was told to never leave blank spaces so I wrote N/A on all sections. In my case, my mother doesn't live in the US and doesn't have a vistor visa. My case application was accepted and has been routed to the nvc. I'm just waiting for the NVC approval.

Hope this helps.

Greetings Immigrant 2B

This is what I found out while filing my paperwork. If your relative is in the United states (let's say on visitor visa) and will apply for adjustment of status while in the US, than you answer the question but if your relative is not in the united states than you leave it blank. In this case I was told to never leave blank spaces so I wrote N/A on all sections. In my case, my mother doesn't live in the US and doesn't have a vistor visa. My case application was accepted and has been routed to the nvc. I'm just waiting for the NVC approval.

Hope this helps.

Greetings chivigon,

Thanks for your reply. Great to know that without writing (or only writing N/A) on that second space on Q22, the case heads to NVC. Hope all goes well with you case.

I kinda wish I found this tread earlier.

My wife became a USC about two weeks ago and filed the I-130 for her mom and dad last week. Since it was mailed late last week we haven't received the first NOA or the acceptance email (she included the G-1145).

As I read the local Field Office is the one that is going to make a decision on the case. However, none of the processing graphs have I-130 processing information for the local field offices. Is the I-130 for parents of a USC still 5 months or is dependent on the particular Field Office.

Medical

Hi jl_colin and everybody,

I was wondering about "Medical done" in the timeline for your mom's approval. Does everyone need to pass the medical exam in order to get visa? What is it like? I am currently waiting for I-130 to be processed for my mom (she is widow, my dad passed away last year) and she is concerned how her high blood pressure can affect her chances in getting visa :rolleyes:

Thank you in advance

Hi jl_colin and everybody,

I was wondering about "Medical done" in the timeline for your mom's approval. Does everyone need to pass the medical exam in order to get visa? What is it like? I am currently waiting for I-130 to be processed for my mom (she is widow, my dad passed away last year) and she is concerned how her high blood pressure can affect her chances in getting visa :rolleyes:

Thank you in advance

If the medical is anything like what is done stateside they are more concern that the immigrant is up to date on their shots and they don't have an communicated diseases such as TB.

If the medical is anything like what is done stateside they are more concern that the immigrant is up to date on their shots and they don't have an communicated diseases such as TB.

Aaaaah... Thanks! I will tell her to stop parannoying for nothing then :)