I-130/i-485

LegalAlien99

Registered Users (C)
Dear friends,

I have a question for all of you who have already gone through the process. If I file I-130 and I-485 simultaneously for my wife how does the spiel work? She is currently in the U.S. on a H1B which will expire 09/30/07.

If I file now, here is the processing timeframe I am looking at:

I-130 at Vermont Service Center, now processing 02/05/2006

I-485 at Washington, D.C. DO, now processing 11/29/2005

If I do the math correctly, my wife's 485 will still be pending by the time her H1B expires on 09/30/07. If that happens, will she have to return to Germany or will she be under some kind of 'protected status' while the DO processes the I-485? Would she be covered under a filed I-765 based on an approved I-130 while the adjustment of status (I-485) is pending?

Any input appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Legal

She will be OK.
If you file I-130 and I-485 she can legally remain here untill she gets her GC. Even after the H1-b expires.
I think she does not even have to apply for a EAD since her H1-B is still valid unless it expires.
Make sure she gets Advance Parole for travel out of the US.

machelon said:
She will be OK.
If you file I-130 and I-485 she can legally remain here untill she gets her GC. Even after the H1-b expires.
I think she does not even have to apply for a EAD since her H1-B is still valid unless it expires.
Make sure she gets Advance Parole for travel out of the US.

Actually she does not need AP at all until the H1B expires ---- she can validly work on that and travel on that visa. However, if she decides to apply for EAD, then she will forego H status and will need to apply for AP if she wants to travel.

pianoplayer said:
However, if she decides to apply for EAD, then she will forego H status and will need to apply for AP if she wants to travel.

She also has to use her EAD by signing an I-9, right?
I'm asking because I applied and got EAD and traveled outside the US while case is pending.
I was re-admitted with no question asked.

sarrebal said:
She also has to use her EAD by signing an I-9, right?
I'm asking because I applied and got EAD and traveled outside the US while case is pending.
I was re-admitted with no question asked.

Correct ---- just applying for and receiving an EAD does not change your nonimmigrant status. Only when the person signs the I9, does he/she forego H1B status.

Note: even if the person stays in the same job(with H1B), but applies for a second job on EAD, the EAD has to be used for all future and current employment.

Thanks to you all! This is very helpful information. I think we will be ready to file in a week or two.

Best,

Legal