I-130 for Consular Processing

Originals - earlier marriage and divorce certificates

All,
Request your advice on the compiliation of the original certificates.

Me, the USC (the petitioner) and my Indian spouse (the beneficiary) had an earlier marriage. Should both us submit our earlier divorce certificates in original? Or is it only the beneficiary who has to submit the divorce certificate?

Thanks

beneficiary only - original or certified

EDIT EDIT EDIT

nsvr - I apologize, but I just assumed that you were talking about NVC. But now looking at some of your recent posts, I think you are still planning to submit I-130. If that's the case:

You MUST submit copies (not original/certified) of divorce/termination documents for ALL prior marriages (of both your spouse and you) with your I-130 submission.

Last edited by a moderator:
if its a spousal case - I would send both originals juuuuust in case

look at the case denied here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=216113

I recieved a notice of Decision regaring my i 130 form. It was denied because of lack of evidence regarding the desolvment of a previous marriage.

Im filing on behalf of my Canadian wife. Im an American. The marriage was disolved before she came to the states and we got married,. We started that on the form but didnt realise that we needed to submit a copy of her divorce certificate.

VizaNutz, I have seen 2 cases - from Manila and Senegal - who were sent to consulate same day as the case complete - per NVC operator in Senegal case, per AVR and operator in Manila case,

Senegal and Manila are both appointment post list (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3734.html) - meaning NVC has to choose a date of interview and only THEN mail the case,

so IMHO it makes sense to contact consulate and call NVC to inquire if the case was already sent.

Original Divorce certificate for spouse visa

beneficiary only - original or certified

VisaNutz,
Thanks for your response about Beneficiary only divorce certificate.

Along with the divorce certificate should my spouse also submit her earlier marriage certificate? Her earlier marriage was only a religious ceremony and it was never registered. When the marriage did not work out, they went to the court and got the divorce certificate

Thanks

if its a spousal case - I would send both originals juuuuust in case

look at the case denied here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=216113

Feliz.. the case you mentioned is an I-130 case and was denied by USCIS. For I-130, the petitioner must submit documents showing legal termination of all prior marriages of BOTH the petitioner and beneficiary. Here's what the I-130 instructions say:

If either you or your spouse were previously married,
submit copies of documents showing that all prior
marriages were legally terminated.

But nsvr is asking if the divorce documents are required by NVC. It is not required, however, I would recommend that the beneficiary takes the original and a copy of it to the interview.

:EDIT:

I just re-read his post, and he didn't really write anything about NVC. I don't know why I thought he was talking about NVC doc requirements. May be it's because I have been eating/sleeping NVC lately.

So, yeah - if it's for I-130, he MUST submit divorce/termination docs for both petitioner/beneficiary with the I-130"

VisaNutz,
Thanks for your response about Beneficiary only divorce certificate.

Along with the divorce certificate should my spouse also submit her earlier marriage certificate? Her earlier marriage was only a religious ceremony and it was never registered. When the marriage did not work out, they went to the court and got the divorce certificate

Thanks

nsvr - I am uncertain about the marriage certificate for previous marriages of beneficiary.

In the cases where NVC requires petitioner to submit MC from prior marriages - NVC is explicit and clearly states it - "Petitioner’s marriage certificate from the Petitioner’s current and all previous marriages. ".

However, for beneficiary documents, NVC just says "Married applicants must obtain an original marriage certificate, or a certified copy". Nothing about the prior marriages. But they are explicit about the documents showing termination of the marriages.

I personally would say it is not required, but I would also call NVC to confirm.

EDIT EDIT EDIT

nsvr - I apologize, but I just assumed that you were talking about NVC. But now looking at some of your recent posts, I think you are still planning to submit I-130. If that's the case:

You MUST submit copies (not original/certified) of divorce/termination documents for ALL prior marriages (of both your spouse and you) with your I-130 submission.

VizaNutz, I have seen 2 cases - from Manila and Senegal - who were sent to consulate same day as the case complete - per NVC operator in Senegal case, per AVR and operator in Manila case,

Senegal and Manila are both appointment post list (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3734.html) - meaning NVC has to choose a date of interview and only THEN mail the case,

so IMHO it makes sense to contact consulate and call NVC to inquire if the case was already sent.

Spoke to NVC operator and embassy - No news here,

plz let me know if your case was sent by NVC before the interview was appointed

nsvr, to i130 I agree with VizaNutz - send copies of every proof of relationship you can find - for more details use spouse forum, their processs is different then parents http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=110

Feliz-LA and VisaNutz,
Thanks to both of you for your responses.

I am preparing for the NVC only.

Looks like I-130 processing slowed down again. Looking at the timelines for Feliz-LA and Raj456 I was hopeful that I-130 is on fast track. 4+ weeks since NOA1 and no news of approval/RFE

Thanks
I did not fill-in the Chennai Consulate name
I gave my address instead of my spouse overseas address.
Sent an updated I-130 on 09/15/09............Hope they accept this I-130 instead
3: 09/18/09 Received Date
4: 09/23/09 Check Cashed and NOA Received
5: xx/xx/09 RFE date
6: xx/xx/xx Approved
7: xx/xx/xx NOA2 Received
8: xx/xx/xx NVC Case No.
9: xx/xx/xx Medical
10: xx/xx/xx Interview
11: xx/xx/xx Visa Received
12: xx/xx/xx Travel Date

thanks!!! i submitted the DS-230 just now and hopefully everything will go smoothly...

My dad lived in two places after he is 16 years and he got police certificates from both the places. My Mom lived in just one city after 16 and she got one.
In india local Passport office issues police clearance certificate. You can find the information to specific country from the US Consulate website of your country. Based on what i read on the forums police certificates are valid for 1year.

Check this link for your country...

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciprocity/reciprocity_3582.html

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html#police

Hope this helps. Raj....

Ds 230

Hi, Im about to submit DS 230 and a bit confuse after reading your posts. Do you fill this form by yourself on behalf applicant? Or beneficiary send it to you by Fedex with all originals like Birth Certificate and so on.. to your US address to resend to NVC?:confused:
And another question, are the original NVC sending back to the Embassy for applicant get it from Consulate at the time of intervew?
Thanks

Spoke to NVC operator and embassy - No news here,

plz let me know if your case was sent by NVC before the interview was appointed

Feliz.. I think we missed the cut-off for this month's scheduling. I know it sounds disappointing, but we might have to wait until next month for any "new" news.

Nest, I filled the form in Adobe Acrobat (I was lucky she had only 4 or less items in every question so they all fit in the spaces nicely) and then below the applicant (mom's) signature - i put my name as a person who assisted in filling the application, but the main signature must be the applicants, and its illegal to sign it yourself.

Besides my mom's passport photographic page contains her signature - so NVC will have a chance to compare the two, so they better match closely. Some people tend to sign differently from time to time.

VizaNuts, I guess it's true :(! although some people on spouse forum got interview dates - again for Manila, i guess it's less busy then the rest

Feliz-LA said:
VizaNuts, I guess it's true :(! although some people on spouse forum got interview dates - again for Manila, i guess it's less busy then the rest

Feliz, Can you please post the link for spouse forum? I guess I have not searched enough. I did not find one.

Thanks

QUESTION FOR PCC

at my place they are not able to issue Police Clarence certificate (PCC) without showing them any proof that we applied to immigration visa and we need it. I got IV bill and waiting for email to pay it.Once I will pay and let say it will be PAID this weekend. Then how many days they need to send anything that you need to fill DS230 or any kind of official document to show and get PCC. Or I can call NVC and ask for it.

any help/suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Feliz-LA and VisaNutz,

Were your I-130 through VSC? I have not seen any I-130 approvals in the entire month of Oct. Looks like CSC is sleeping

Thanks
__________________________________________________ _______
I-130 for spouse
1: 09/14/09 Sent I-130 package
2: 09/15/09 Realized that my I-130 was inaccuate:
Sent an updated I-130 on 09/15/09............Hope they accept this I-130 instead

Feliz-LA and VisaNutz,

Were your I-130 through VSC? I have not seen any I-130 approvals in the entire month of Oct. Looks like CSC is sleeping

Thanks
__________________________________________________ _______
I-130 for spouse
1: 09/14/09 Sent I-130 package
2: 09/15/09 Realized that my I-130 was inaccuate:

mine is CSC - CA Svs center

look here for stats: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/irstats.php?history=90

and also famous awesome Igor's list, I am sure I mentioned it in this thread before, if i find it i will post it again