I-130 bona fide relationship - English name

katie626

Registered Users (C)
hi

just married to USC in April and currently preparing to file I-130 and I-485 concurrently for the greencard.

i thought it would be much easier for me to file this as i have been living in the u.s. for the last 7 years and currently working legally (F1-OPT-H1B since 2005). but, just realized it could be even harder and more complicated to file because of that.

as my in-language name is not easy to pronounce for English speaking people, i have been using a random English name at work since 2005 (inc. my business card). most of my friends, co-workers, neighbors refer me as that English name. in fact, most of them dont even know my in-language name. i met my husband through work in 2006 so even my husband call me with that name most of the time (like 70%).

hence, all my non-legal documents have my English name on there (including wedding invitations, wedding decorations, emails/letters with my husband, emails/letters from others to our couple, etc.). we have a couple joint accounts which have my in-language name but not many (we just got married 3 months ago)...

what should i do? does anybody have similar case?
should i put this english name in 'other names' in form i-130 and explain?
please help...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Should not be a problem. Many Chinese people adopt an English mo****r when they move here.

thanks ananga73 for quick response.

do you think i should put this enlgish name in form i-130?
some ppl said we should not put any non-legal names in that form.

write up an affidavit explaining the circumstance as you have done here. this is not an issue.