Husband applying for US citizenship and wife wants to stay on Indian citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

v_ditya

Registered Users (C)
We both are green card holder. I am applying for US citizenship and then for OCI. She likes to stay on Indian citizenship. After getting OCI we are planning to move back to India.

My question is just in case after moving back to India, will there be any issue in immigration of my wife? I would think being married to US citizen I should be able file for green card for her and should be able to bring her with me without any issue.

Please clarify.

If you move back for several years and then later file for wife's green card, you will have to spend upward of $1400 again. You are better off getting her a US citizenship+OCI. That way you will have best of both worlds. USC+OCI is cheaper than US green card.

If you move back for several years and then later file for wife's green card, you will have to spend upward of $1400 again. You are better off getting her a US citizenship+OCI. That way you will have best of both worlds. USC+OCI is cheaper than US green card.

What rights does an Indian citizen have but an Indian OCI not?

I am guessing here but the right to vote jumps first and foremost.

Many practical persons do not care about that since you can see many do not even register
anyway. ALso does India also depoet any non-citizen who voted in India or no once cares?

Not knowing the OP's circumstances, we can only guess the reason his wife does not want to become a US citizen. My strongest guess would be, agricultural/ancestral land/property.

Many practical persons do not care about that since you can see many do not even register
anyway. ALso does India also depoet any non-citizen who voted in India or no once cares?

Not knowing the OP's circumstances, we can only guess the reason his wife does not want to become a US citizen. My strongest guess would be, agricultural/ancestral land/property.

How many countries in the world except for America allow foreigners to own these properties?

Pakistan does. A lot of Saudi royals own prime land across Pakistan :)
The United Kingdom allows non-British to own such property.

How many countries in the world except for America allow foreigners to own these properties?

We plan to perform adoption of a child while being in India and if one of the parent is Indian then that helps in adoption process.

My question is just in case after moving back to India, will there be any issue in immigration of my wife?

No US immigration issue, as long as she surrenders her GC with form I-407 at a US consulate. If she doesn't surrender the GC, it may cause a delay or complication with future GC or visa applications.

Apply for US Citizenship and Wife and kids stay on indian citizenship

We both are green card holder. I am applying for US citizenship and then for OCI. She likes to stay on Indian citizenship. After getting OCI we are planning to move back to India.

My question is just in case after moving back to India, will there be any issue in immigration of my wife? I would think being married to US citizen I should be able file for green card for her and should be able to bring her with me without any issue.

Please clarify.

We are Green Card holder; My wife and Kids (10 & 12 yrs) are went to india last year; my wife want to keep indian citizenship due to family reason, property; support parents(75&70yrs) india.

I am eligible to apply citizen this year. then will have OCI; so that I can freely come and go to US and India.

My wife and kids will loose green care if they don't come to usa.

I am planning to spend some time with my parents in india and have my kids education (engineering) in india;

my wife and I may come to USA once my kids wants to come settle into USA after 10-15 years.

Due to economy and fear of Job; expensive eduction ( at least USD 2,00,000 - 4,00,000 need for Kids education) and House Loan (atleast 300,000); next 15-20 years I need half million 500,000 to maintain house and kids eduction. I must save atleast $3000.00/month savings to 15 years in order be live comfortable in usa; other wise It will tough; My saving hear around $1000-$2000.00; If I am lucky that I don't have any layoff next 15 years.

If I spend another 15 years in India; I don't need to worry that much; have enough property and have enough backup to live; I have my house in Delhi; rent income coming around Rs50.000.00; I will continue earning in US/India.

Please response if I am missing any thing or where I can improve my decision.

Appreciate your time and reply.

Life is more expensive in the US, yes. But, your kids can also go to a public university which is much cheaper than the 200K floor you expect to pay. For the rest of your expenses, I can't help you.

Were your kids born in the US, or in India?

​Isn't that pure form of simply hijacking thread with your own questions when you were supposed to have been helping OP with his/her question? Its like starting your own description of miseries without caring for helping the OP?

We are Green Card holder; My wife and Kids (10 & 12 yrs) are went to india last year; my wife want to keep indian citizenship due to family reason, property; support parents(75&70yrs) india.

I am eligible to apply citizen this year. then will have OCI; so that I can freely come and go to US and India.

My wife and kids will loose green care if they don't come to usa.

I am planning to spend some time with my parents in india and have my kids education (engineering) in india;

my wife and I may come to USA once my kids wants to come settle into USA after 10-15 years.

Due to economy and fear of Job; expensive eduction ( at least USD 2,00,000 - 4,00,000 need for Kids education) and House Loan (atleast 300,000); next 15-20 years I need half million 500,000 to maintain house and kids eduction. I must save atleast $3000.00/month savings to 15 years in order be live comfortable in usa; other wise It will tough; My saving hear around $1000-$2000.00; If I am lucky that I don't have any layoff next 15 years.

If I spend another 15 years in India; I don't need to worry that much; have enough property and have enough backup to live; I have my house in Delhi; rent income coming around Rs50.000.00; I will continue earning in US/India.

Please response if I am missing any thing or where I can improve my decision.

Appreciate your time and reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
The quality of life is very poor in India especially in the last 5 years. I'm sure you know it if you are from Delhi. Though living standard has improved a bit in India but other things got miserable, and I'm talking based on my personal experiences. India is full of mosquitoes and dust. Roads are so bad and so narrow. Water and electricity go off all the time. Forget about staying in Delhi during summer time. I was in Delhi last summer and there was no water in whole Delhi for 4 days. The chief Minister of Delhi, Smt. Sheila Dixhit, said: "We can not do anything because we are not getting supply of water from neighboring state-Haryana". Crime rate is highest in India. Competition is so much and tough. Everyone is living in Western culture. No Indian morals and values left. I don't know if your children would like living there especially if they are born here. And if they are not born here then you can provide them a better life in the US than in India.

Your wife could still be able to taking care of parents and family in India if she becomes a US citizen and obtains OCI. She has nothing to lose. At least she could come to US at anytime she would prefer. Just you to know that I never took any money from my parents nor from US govt. to study here despite of being born here. I worked part-time to support myself. I'm not saying that your kids should do the same but I'm sure you guys can find a way to solve this. I understand each person's situation and circumstance are different. But India is not the same as it used to be.

But obtaining a foreign citizenship is not good for everyone especially in the case of OP who is interested in adopting a child in India, or those who has or wants to acquire agricultural lands given the fact that many lands in India are agricultural lands. Sometimes tax rate on worldwide income also a reason to think about obtaining foreign nationality. And more importantly, criminal consequences. I have friend who recently became a US Citizen. He recently went to India and got involved in a fight with his neighbor over property matter wherein his neighbor filed a criminal complaint against him saying that he molested his teen daughter. He did not such but his neighbor knew people in the Police station and got police report and medical report in his favor especially when millions of rupees (crores) were in questions relating to property. He just got convicted for 15 years and after that he will be handover to US authority for another 30 years in jail in US prison and he is barred for lifetime to enter into India despite of being born there and his whole family lives there. He came here just 4 years ago and got married to a US citizen and obtained his green card and now became a US citizen. Now his whole life has changed. Under the US laws, he must be serving for 30-35 years for this kinds of crimes even if crimes were occurred on foreign lands. OCI is just equivalent to US green card. Anything you would do in India, you will be thrown out for lifetime ban. So there is something to think about as well.

Well some of the facts you mentioned about India are true but your entire write-up is not correct representation of facts, or I would say you too have a distorted picture of India that westernites are always trying to portray to boost their self esteem.

Every country has problems and so does India.

Try to manage the largest population in the world and you will know how soon things would turn pretty ugly here.

Try sufficing the egos of people who can be at least be classified in to 4 major religious sects and, you will wonder how it is going to be a big mess.

Consider the possibility of surrounded by 3 relentless, terrorist states (
http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/19212-pm-singhs-sees-india-surrounded-terror-states.html) and you know difficult it is to defend you land instead of basking in the sun with harmless Canada and controllable Mexico. The island called North America in itself is a safe haven.

The poverty that India is now riddled is a result of British occupation (
http://books.google.co.in/books/about/Poverty_and_Un_British_Rule_in_India.html?id=oqwCAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y).

Although the backwardness is self made but compare it with when black slaves were burned in public in USA.
http://www.executedtoday.com/2011/05/01/1830-the-slave-jerry-the-last-american-execution-by-burning/

Compare India with today's america where it's people find so hard to vote for a black president, only because of his color and then they blame him for not able to clean the mess created by at least 2 white presidents. Come on give Obama some break. (
http://www.realclearworld.com/2013/01/20/obama_still_cleaning_up_bushs_mess_144429.html).

Or the consensus that "bring a black president instead of a woman".
http://www.salon.com/2008/04/05/woman_black_president/

And you know about the human rights violations in prisons, during Katrina and almost everyday everywhere (
http://www.towardfreedom.com/americas/691-human-rights-violations-in-the-aftermath-of-hurricane-katrina), work place sexual harassment (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/11/one-in-four-u-s-women-reports-workplace-harassment/), discrimination despite laws in place (http://english.irib.ir/news/political4/item/103999-racial-discrimination-rampant-in-us) and then you will realize things are not so different here. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/02/04/science/girls-lead-in-science-exam-but-not-in-the-united-states.html

Lastly you sir are comparing a nation that was became independent in 1776 as opposed to 1947, so my dear you again making a big mistake here.

The quality of life is very poor in India especially in the last 5 years. I'm sure you know it if you are from Delhi. Though living standard has improved a bit in India but other things got miserable, and I'm talking based on my personal experiences. India is full of mosquitoes and dust. Roads are so bad and so narrow. Water and electricity go off all the time. Forget about staying in Delhi during summer time. I was in Delhi last summer and there was no water in whole daily for 4 days. The chief Minister of Delhi, Smt. Sheila Dixhit, said: "We can not do anything because we are not getting supply of water from neighboring state-Haryana". Crime rate is highest in India. Competition is so much and tough. Everyone is living in Western culture. No Indian morals and values left. I don't know if your children would like living there especially if they are born here. And if they are not born here then you can provide them a better life in the US than in India.

Your wife could still be able to taking care of parents and family in India if she becomes a US citizen and obtains OCI. She has nothing to lose. At least she could come to US at anytime she would prefer. Just you to know that I never took any money from my parents nor from US govt. to study here despite of being born here. I worked part-time to support myself. I'm not saying that your kids should do the same but I'm sure you guys can find a way to solve this. I understand each person's situation and circumstance are different. But India is not the same as it used to be.

But obtaining a foreign citizenship is not good for everyone especially in the case of OP who is interested in adopting a child in India, or those who has or wants to acquire agricultural lands given the fact that many lands in India are agricultural lands. Sometimes tax rate on worldwide income also a reason to think about obtaining foreign nationality. And more importantly, criminal consequences. If I have friend who became a US Citizen recently. He went to India recently and got involved in a fight with his neighbor over property matter wherein his neighbor filed a criminal complaint against him saying that he molested his teen daughter. He did not such but his neighbor knew people in the Police station and got police report and medical report in his favor especially when millions of rupees (crores) were in questions relating to property. He just got convicted for 15 years and after that he will be handover to US authority for another 30 years in jail in US prison and he is barred for lifetime to enter into India despite of being born there and his whole family lives there. He came here just 4 years ago and got married to a US citizen and obtained his green card and now became a US citizen. Now his whole life has changed. Under the US laws, he must be serving for 30-35 years for this kinds of crimes even if crimes were occurred on foreign lands. OCI is just equivalent to US green card. Anything you would do in India, you will be thrown out for lifetime ban. So there is something to think about as well.

Lastly you sir are comparing a nation that was became independent in 1776 as opposed to 1947, so my dear you again making a big mistake here.

This is not a good point because civilization existed long before independence so the opposite point can be that
you comparing a civilization that dated back to Vedic period. American can not be said to start only at 1776 either.
It pretty much inheriate British civilization.

If we look at the world, we have to say younger civicliazations now are doing better.

If you are so nationalistic, may be you have a duty to stay in America and encourage fellow Indians to say too
so that to increase the share of big American cake

Let me tell you, its not the question of encouragement or anything but comparing apples with oranges without a basis makes me wonder how ignorant we are about everything. It is unfortunate how things have turned up this way for both USA and India, but I am so surprised to so more and more white people travelling in metros, white woman wearing punjabi suite and men trying to work in schools, private companies and even teaching. All I am trying to say is problems exist everywhere but it is us to understand what could be done rather than straightforwardly point towards backwardness etc.

This is not a good point because civilization existed long before independence so the opposite point can be that
you comparing a civilization that dated back to Vedic period. American can not be said to start only at 1776 either.
It pretty much inheriate British civilization.

If we look at the world, we have to say younger civicliazations now are doing better.

If you are so nationalistic, may be you have a duty to stay in America and encourage fellow Indians to say too
so that to increase the share of big American cake

Let me tell you, its not the question of encouragement or anything but comparing apples with oranges without a basis makes me wonder how ignorant we are about everything. It is unfortunate how things have turned up this way for both USA and India, but I am so surprised to so more and more white people travelling in metros, white woman wearing punjabi suite and men trying to work in schools, private companies and even teaching. All I am trying to say is problems exist everywhere but it is us to understand what could be done rather than straightforwardly point towards backwardness etc.

I know I shouldn't respond to, but want to make something very clear.

First of all, it does not matter why India is so problematic these days, and who is to blame to India's situations, and whether or not situations in India are changing, and blaming Whites to put down India, etc...etc... Because fact would still remain the same that living situations has totally go down in India lately and its culture/tradition has disappeared. If you want me to fill this site with all the proofs of links/pictures to prove my point then I will be able to do so. And let me tell you some facts, you know India no better than me (and believe me, I know about India and Indians more than you do) and I'm not White either and I know for fact that typical Indians always blame Whites whenever something is truly said about India and Indians which seems negative. I'm not here to put India and Indians down; rather I was simply stating to the other poster the differences of living situations in India and USA especially when that poster has an option to give a better life to his kids in US.

Do you even know that Mumbai is the second most dirtiest city to live in and Delhi is the 7th in the World, according to recent reports? I'm sure you will know blame White media/reports for this. I go to India 4 times a year and I'm the living proof to the fact how dirty India is. Many people are having a piece of clothes of their face while they are on scooter/motorbike. Indian govt. doesn't even provide water to its own citizen. And this is I'm talking about the Capital of India, New Delhi. Most people do not get drinking water; rather they get their water from under soil by broling. I'm talking about even nice neighborhoods in Delhi like Janakpuri, Tilak Nagar and many more places. No place in India is without mosquitoes. They are everywhere. Water is dirty and not enough water. Air is most polluted. Street dogs and cows are roaming freely everywhere. Crime rates are highest of its time. No girl is safe in India even one year of girl as well. Everyday girls as young as even 2 years old are being raped by even their own family members. Everyday I read at least 30 news about this kinds of news. You can check yourself thru MidDay online news.

7 marriages out of 10 are breaking up now. Young people do know the true meaning of taking the bows nor they like to compromise and understand each other. This rate is much higher than what its in US. And do not talk about Indian "morals" because everyone knows about it in India and who visited India. Indian people might not believe what I'm going to say but I'm telling exactly the truth. Actually two years ago I decided to get married and got signed up with a matrimonial site. I got to know at least 600 Indian girls from all walk of life. Out of these girls only 3 girls claimed to be not having "physical relationship" with anyone; rather almost every girl have had affairs in her life. Now I didn't ask them about it; rather they told me about it by themselves because they said that they wanted to be truthful to me upfront. And all these girls were between 20-24 years old only. So you do the math. This is not the way it was in India. Now don't tell that America is more worse in this area which could be right but I'm saying how India has changed now and things are much different...more probably downgrade. Indians used to be proud of their culture but not anymore because everyone seems to be into Western Culture. Indian women are drinking, smoking, taking drugs, having affairs with women, cheating on their husbands, etc...etc...and men are seemed to be living in paradise because they could easily find girls to have affair with which makes a relationship no stable. India is totally bad now. Anyway, everyone is entitled to their own life and views.

Status
Not open for further replies.