How to travel outside the U.S when having permanent residency?

marengo

Registered Users (C)
I am 20 years old and my father is a U.S. citizen. I am currently applying for permanent residency through my father.
My question is when you get your green card, how do you travel outside the United States?
Do they stamp your passport at the immigration interview or when traveling outside of The U.S. do you have to bring your Green Card? How does it work?

Thanks in advance. :)

marengo said:
I am 20 years old and my father is a U.S. citizen. I am currently applying for permanent residency through my father.
My question is when you get your green card, how do you travel outside the United States?
Do they stamp your passport at the immigration interview or when traveling outside of The U.S. do you have to bring your Green Card? How does it work?

Thanks in advance. :)

don't worry, it's easy, just take following travel documents

1) Passport
2) Physical Green card ( or stamp on passport )
3) travel tickets

dimag_mari said:
don't worry, it's easy, just take following travel documents

1) Passport
2) Physical Green card ( or stamp on passport )
3) travel tickets

Will my passport be stamped saying I am a permanent resident?
The reason I am asking is because then I will have to renew my passport.
Thank you :)

When you get approved for the green card, USCIS will stamp your passport with 1 year validity which you can show as a temporary proof that you are a permanent resident. Physical green card arrives in mail after a few months.

You will need an unexpired passport with either a physical green card or 1 year stamp of your green card status in the passport to travel. USCIS will swipe the green card and stamp your passport when you enter US as a green card holder. If you travel from Mexico or Canada, they probably will not stamp the passport.

sg_orl said:
When you get approved for the green card, USCIS will stamp your passport with 1 year validity which you can show as a temporary proof that you are a permanent resident. Physical green card arrives in mail after a few months.

You will need an unexpired passport with either a physical green card or 1 year stamp of your green card status in the passport to travel. USCIS will swipe the green card and stamp your passport when you enter US as a green card holder. If you travel from Mexico or Canada, they probably will not stamp the passport.

I have double nationalities. I am using nationality/passport A to travel(I always have) but I want to use Nationality B which is swiss to travel so I have to renew my swiss passport. But as I understand it when I go to the interview they will stamp my current passport so I can travel 1 year with it but if I wanted to I can get a swiss passport right away after the interview and travel with it and my green card(when my green card arrives) even though they stamp my passport from my other nationality? Is this correct?
I know I'm kind of making a big deal out of a small thing but a lot of my family is from Switzerland and I was born there so I just want to make sure I won't have problems later on.

Edit: I am currently in the United States waiting for permanent residency.

Last edited by a moderator: