How to prove for Selective Service Registration

VoyageJMJ

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

My interview in coming tuesday June 19th and I have a quick question regarding how to prove that I was not required to register for Selective Service? FYI.... I was 25 years old when I first entered this country and I'm well past 26 years now.

About a month back I had sent the request form and the required document (my non-immigrant visa stamping page of my passport at that time and visa approval notice) to "sss" and did not get any document from them or heard from them. So last week I called Selective Service (after being in the line for a while) and talked to a rep there and he said that it takes 3 months to reply back and he couldn't even confirm if they have received my request. The rep also replied that there is no process in place where you can expedite it.

Now this being the case, how do I prove if the topic comes up in the interview. I can always show my passport which has only got a couple of non-immigrant visas.

Is there any other document or any other way, I can prove that I was not required to register ?

Thanks!!:)

when did you get your green card?

Did you get your green card after your 26th birthday? If so, nothing to worry as they will know that you didn't have to register for selective service.

Did you get your green card after your 26th birthday? If so, nothing to worry as they will know that you didn't have to register for selective service.

Thanks for the quick reply :) Yes, I got my GC well after my 26th birthday. But how do they know that I was in non-immigrant status up until then(or) rather my question is, When asked in the interview, Is it not my responsibility to prove that I was in non-immigrant status and not in any other visa status that is considered to be immigrant intent/immigrant status.

Would it fly, if I just say "Well I got my GC at so and so age which is well past 26 years of age" to the IO ?

Is there anything I can do to convince, if cornered?

Thanks Again!!

just tell them

they know the rules...it never came up in my interview and I was in my 30s when I got my GC. If they ask, just say you were however old you were when you got your GC.

Folks,

My interview in coming tuesday June 19th and I have a quick question regarding how to prove that I was not required to register for Selective Service? FYI.... I was 25 years old when I first entered this country and I'm well past 26 years now.

About a month back I had sent the request form and the required document (my non-immigrant visa stamping page of my passport at that time and visa approval notice) to "sss" and did not get any document from them or heard from them. So last week I called Selective Service (after being in the line for a while) and talked to a rep there and he said that it takes 3 months to reply back and he couldn't even confirm if they have received my request. The rep also replied that there is no process in place where you can expedite it.

Now this being the case, how do I prove if the topic comes up in the interview. I can always show my passport which has only got a couple of non-immigrant visas.

Is there any other document or any other way, I can prove that I was not required to register ?

Thanks!!:)

You are trying to invent a problem where none exists. You were not required to register with Selective Service, and you are not required to provide ANY documentation in that regard with your N-400 or at the interview.
All you have to do is answer "No" to Q33 in N400, and repeat that answer at the interview when the IO goes line-by-line over your N-400 there. DO NOT elaborate, unless explicitly asked to, DO NOT offer any unsolicited explanations, etc. Just say "No" to Q33 when it comes up, and the IO will move on to the next question.

Since you are wondering: at the interview the IO will have your complete A-file, with your ENTIRE immigration history in it, from the day of you first entry to the U.S. They don't need any proof that you were in the U.S. in a non-immigrant status from the date of arrival to your 26th birthday, because they already have all the proof that they need in your A-file.

That's not quite true ... people who are illegally present in the US between 18 and 26 are required to register, even though they don't have a green card.

Folks,

If you had nonimmigrant status at that time, your nonimmigrant visa and your date of entry should be in your immigration file which will be reviewed by the interviewer.

And if you're past your 31st birthday, they won't care about your Selective Service or lack thereof.

Thanks Everyone!!

Thanks for yr inputs, appreciate it very much :)

Had my interview yesterday - Approved :D

Got the oath letter the same day, for coming Friday, June 22nd.