How to convince consular office about non-immigrant intent.

perm_lc

Registered Users (C)
My mom’s visitor visa got denied 2 years back in Chennai consulate (on 214 ground). My mom is 70 year old and single. She is living with my sister family and drawing government pension to support her. She has her own house. This is the only commitment she has in India. I am only son of her; I am in US having GC. This was the fact that we presented in 2006. In interview, they asked only one question about our family. Then they refused the visa on the spot. They did not give any reason in word. My mom asked the translator, why they are refusing. The translator told my mom that the reason may be consular officer feels that the dengue fever was spreading in Chennai in 2006, so they were restricting the number of tourists from Chennai. However, I strongly assume that consular officer determined that time that she does not have enough commitment in India to return back.

Now I want to apply her visa again. Her family status and commitment in India does not change since 2006. Now my big question is how to convince consular office about her non-immigrant intent. What document I should give her to convince the consular officer. Is there any other approach (or seeking travel agency) will help?

Look at it from the consul's viewpoint. The applicant has only one son who is in the US with GC status. The only family the applicant has in India is a sister. Where is the applicant more likely to spend her time?
Having said that, your mother's only option is to attempt again. I know alot of genuine visitors fall victim to 214(b). I wish her good luck!

Now I want to apply her visa again. Her family status and commitment in India does not change since 2006. Now my big question is how to convince consular office about her non-immigrant intent. What document I should give her to convince the consular officer. Is there any other approach (or seeking travel agency) will help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at it from the consul's viewpoint. The applicant has only one son who is in the US with GC status. The only family the applicant has in India is a sister. Where is the applicant more likely to spend her time?
Having said that, your mother's only option is to attempt again. I know alot of genuine visitors fall victime to 214(b). I wish her good luck!

I understand that point. Even if consular officer gives my mom GC on spot and ask her to stay permanently in US, she wont stay in US not more than 6 months (becuse of cold whether and lack of social life etc..). Now my big question is how we should approch this time differently, to maximize the chance of getting visa. Is letter from Senator/Congressman help?

Is there a senator/congressman who is willing to guarantee in writing that your mother will return in time? If there is, no harm in attaching a document like that. However, my personal opinion is, State Department employees are not influenced by senators or members of congress.

Is letter from Senator/Congressman help?

Is there a senator/congressman who is willing to guarantee in writing that your mother will return in time? If there is, no harm in attaching a document like that. However, my personal opinion is, State Department employees are not influenced by senators or members of congress.

Thanks for the posting. However, it does not answer my question. How we should approch this time differently, to maximize the chance of getting visa?

My mom is reluctant to go to Chennai from my home town in hot summer months and to stand in que for several hours and getting denied. Because of this hurdles, she is not interested to go to consulate. Thatswhy, I am asking is there any different apporch that helps? (Based on the experince of success stories of similar situation folks)

I will not be able to help with a specific Chennai success approach in that case. The last time I got a B-2 visa was back in 1996 and that too without an interview at the US embassy in Kuwait. I am pretty sure someone who has recently tasted success in Chennai will offcer some help. The basic problem with your mother's application is that most variables are working against her rather than for her. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thatswhy, I am asking is there any different apporch that helps? (Based on the experince of success stories of similar situation folks)

Same issue

My mother visitor visa rejected 8 times. I am only Son and in USA. I have green card. I applied in Gujarat. I am keep trying every year.

I am sure, My mother will get visa when I become citizen.

I was in a similar situation and got my mothers B2 visa approved recently the 3rd time after prev 2 rejections in 2005.
I had to work towards it with a strategical letter and it did help in getting the Visa.

To keep long story short, I had pointed out the various factors why the applicant will go back.
Also the sponsors current situation with potential telling why the applicant need to be in the US at this time. This really helped in getting over with almost no questions asked!!
Each individuals situation is different. You just have to be truthful and timely in pointing out the facts why the applicant will go back.

To keep long story short, I had pointed out the various factors why the applicant will go back.
Also the sponsors current situation with potential telling why the applicant need to be in the US at this time. This really helped in getting over with almost no questions asked!!
Each individuals situation is different. You just have to be truthful and timely in pointing out the facts why the applicant will go back.

Appreciate, your help in this process. How did you timly point out the facts to the consular officer why the applicant will go back. How did you manage the events, being in US? Could you little bit explain what did you do and what kind of document you gave to the applicant? Have you given the letter to applicant or did you send directly to consulate?

Thanks,

I can send a PM to you.

My mother visitor visa rejected 8 times. I am only Son and in USA. I have green card. I applied in Gujarat. I am keep trying every year.

I am sure, My mother will get visa when I become citizen.

Once you become citizen you can sponsor her green card so there will be need for trying visitor visa every year. ;) Your story reminds me of the spider who kept trying to climb the slippery wall but kept slipping each time. :D Remember, you may lose a few battles but in the end you will win the war. So, don't lose heart. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
A GC is for LIVING in the US and is not a substitute for a visitor visa. If it is determined that this is the case, she will lose the GC and fat chance of getting a visitor visa since she already demonstated disdain for US law. If you become a US citizen and she applies for visitor visa, she demonstrates that she fully intends to return to her home since your status would have granted her permission to stay on GC.

Guys, hold on.. look at his mothers age. She is 70 now. At this age, how long do u want her to wait to see his son and grand children and spend some reasonable good time with them. So, stop talking about her GC after son gets his Citizen. Our india trips cannot span more than 3 weeks. ! week goes in rest one week in coming back and one week in travel itself.

I personally think, a letter to senator will surely help. Just go in person and get endorsement. They usually have regurlar communication happening between govt departments and senators office. It will work out.

A 3 week visit is quite long by US standards. If the OP really needs his mother to be near him, it is not the USCIS's problem that she does not meet the requirements to obtain a US visa. She will need to move to his motrher's country.