how to apply for GC using my husband's last name?

Lindashort

Registered Users (C)
We are just starting the paperwork and would like to change my name to my husband's last name. Should the applicant's name be the new name(married) or should we do the change later on? Thanks for your help.

Have you already changed any identifying documents to have your husband's last name (e.g. your passport, driver's license, SSN)?

If not, keep things that way until the interview. Use your maiden name on the GC paperwork, then when you are at the interview, ask for the GC to be printed with your husband's last name. After receiving the GC, use it and the marriage certificate to get your other IDs changed.

But if you already changed your other IDs, you should use your new last name on the GC paperwork, giving your maiden name only where it specifically asks for your maiden name or birth name.

I haven't done any change...every document (passport and birth certificate) I have is from my country under my maiden name, of course. I just wanted to do it the safer and faster way. We have our daughter's birth certificate with his last name plus the marriage certificate to go with it.
I was told by a friend to use my husband's last name on the application. Now I got confused.
Thanks Jackolantern!

Last edited by a moderator:
Current USCIS status for overstay on I-485

started a new thread about it...

Last edited by a moderator: