how soon to get a driver license in Toronto?

forcanada

Registered Users (C)
mine PR pick up letter ask for a second ID. :confused:

i don't have a canada driver license. but checking on their web site, one should be able to exchange US DL to the canada DL, does anyone has such experience? to share ? how long does it take and any thing need to causious?

thanks

for exchanging your US DL for a ontario DL, you need to have your US DL for atleast the past 2 years. then you can exchange it over the counter and it hardly takes an hour's time at any ontario DL office.

thanks

i had my US DL for more than 2 yrs.

So you could walk out with the canada DL less than an hour? or you just finish the paper work and they mail you the DL later on?

the problem is i have to get a second ID for the PR pick up, then i need it quick.

thanks again

they said that on my letter :

You must bring the following with you to obtain your
card:

¡¤ This letter,
¡¤ Your original Immigration or Record of Landing
Paper,
¡¤ The original Passport or Travel document that you
submitted with your application,
¡¤ Another official identify card, issued by a Canadian
municipal, provincial or federal government, (eg.
Health Card, Driver¡¯s License, Student Card, etc.)

maybe they don't ask for it when you pick it up??

If I have US DL less than 2 years

Hi cnatar02,
What will happen if I have US DL for less than 2 years
Will they exchange my US licence with a G2 Ontario llicenec instead of a G licence?
Thanks

i think, you may have to take a written test. i did not try for a G2 license. i said, i will wait till my 2 yrs get completed and then apply for a full G license. so i am not very sure of that. you can call up the ON motor vehicle bureau and ask them. all they want is your passport and the landing papers. atleast that is all i was asked when i landed and went in for the DL on the 3rd day.

ani70 - for certain states in the US, ON has the ability to check online your status of the DL and then make a discreation on the issuance of the full G license. i would say, call them and check with them first.