How much delay if not attend interview?

CTN400

Registered Users (C)
For some emergency reason, I need to go to India for the next 3-6 months time. I have already cleared FP and waiting for IL and ID. I won't see the IL when I will be in India. So, I can't respond properly and ID might have passed during the time when I will be India.

After coming back to the U.S, will I be able to continue my processing ? Anybody knows how long the next ID will take ? Is there any issue on this ?

Thanks

Not making it to the interview will definitely delay your process by months but if you cannot avoid that, be sure to at least make arrangements to intercept your mail when you are in India. That way you can inform USCIS that you cannot make it to the interview and they will reschedule it for you (I think you should be able to do that by calling the customer service number). If you don't show up for the interview and they don't get a rescheduling request from you, they may consider your application abandoned.

-KM

Not making it to the interview will definitely delay your process by months but if you cannot avoid that, be sure to at least make arrangements to intercept your mail when you are in India. That way you can inform USCIS that you cannot make it to the interview and they will reschedule it for you (I think you should be able to do that by calling the customer service number). If you don't show up for the interview and they don't get a rescheduling request from you, they may consider your application abandoned.

-KM

Thanks kagemusha. Suppose, if somebody checks my mails (I have to find out one) and let me know the ID when I am in India, I can call (800) number from there to reschedule. But how many months (maximum) extension is possible ? If I stay little more than 6 months in India, will it cause any issue, of course I would try to get re-entry permit ?

Thanks

Consider writing a letter to the USCIS (explaining your situation and when you will be returning), signing it, but leaving the date blank. Have whoever opens your mail date and send the letter to the local USCIS office

Consider writing a letter to the USCIS (explaining your situation and when you will be returning), signing it, but leaving the date blank. Have whoever opens your mail date and send the letter to the local USCIS office

Thanks Flydog! I can arrange my neighbor to open my mails daily when I would be in India and check the status every week with my neighbor. If there is an IL, I can call (800) number to reschedule if I cannot make it on that day. How long I can reschedule and how many times ? If there is any issue if I cross 6 months boundary outside the U.S at this point, even if I get re-entry permit ?

For some emergency reason, I need to go to India for the next 3-6 months time. I have already cleared FP and waiting for IL and ID. I won't see the IL when I will be in India. So, I can't respond properly and ID might have passed during the time when I will be India.

After coming back to the U.S, will I be able to continue my processing ? Anybody knows how long the next ID will take ? Is there any issue on this ?

Thanks

Not attending the interview will definitely lead to denial of the application; so you must get in touch with the District Office somehow.

Besides, the suggestions made here, I think you can also get a lawyer to represent you, such that the lawyer receives your USCIS mail instead. He can then draft a suitable reply to delay your interview.

Being out of the country for more than 6mo but less than 12mo is not a problem, so long as you can prove 'attachment' to the country, in terms of property, etc. But, consult a lawyer on this.

BTW, there was a case posted here, where someone had been out of the US for over 120days between interview and oath; he was not allowed to take the oath and was asked to retake the interview. Make sure, you get all these aspects cleared from a couple of lawyers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the above. If you do not take appropriate steps to keep your application alive, it might be deemed to have been abandoned. Then yoiu would have to start over from scratch.

I do not think that we on this forum know exactly how long you might have. A good immigration lawyer and/or Infopass would hopefully know.

Thanks kagemusha. Suppose, if somebody checks my mails (I have to find out one) and let me know the ID when I am in India, I can call (800) number from there to reschedule. But how many months (maximum) extension is possible ? If I stay little more than 6 months in India, will it cause any issue, of course I would try to get re-entry permit ?

Thanks

My advice is once you know the Interview Date, interrupt your visit to India and attend the interview and then you can go back to India for your emergency situation. It may take many months for you to get another interview if you miss the first one.