How many traffic tickets are too many for Citizenship?

havefun

Registered Users (C)
The more I think I about traffic ticket, the more I am getting worried. I have 6 traffic tickets so far here - 2 before(both speeding) I became Permanent Resident while the other 4 (3 of them are of speeding and 1 is for 'not stopping at STOP sign) are after I became PR. I have been in US for the last 10 years. If I recall correctly there was one person who had around 10 tickets or so in 5 years and he was denied citizenship but I cannot find his/her thread.

Is there anyone here who has listed more than 5 tickets on N-400? How did the interview go? I had 1 ticket in 1999, 1 in 2000, 2 in 2002, 1 in 2004 and 1 in 2005. I don't know how bad it looks from moral character point of view.

Any suggestions? Any ideas? Please contribute.

-Thanks.

havefun said:
The more I think I about traffic ticket, the more I am getting worried. I have 6 traffic tickets so far here - 2 before(both speeding) I became Permanent Resident while the other 4 (3 of them are of speeding and 1 is for 'not stopping at STOP sign) are after I became PR. I have been in US for the last 10 years. If I recall correctly there was one person who had around 10 tickets or so in 5 years and he was denied citizenship but I cannot find his/her thread.

Is there anyone here who has listed more than 5 tickets on N-400? How did the interview go? I had 1 ticket in 1999, 1 in 2000, 2 in 2002, 1 in 2004 and 1 in 2005. I don't know how bad it looks from moral character point of view.

-Thanks.
Speeding is not considered CMT -- so that should not impact your case really.

But dude -- you sure have something that attracts cops -- time to trade in your sexy red convertible ;)
(btw, how did you miss your tickets in 2001 and 2003 ;) ?? ).

don't worry

People worry about traffic tickets. Traffic tickets are so common and should not cause denial of citizenship. I follow this forum and others for a very long time now and never saw a post about denying citizenship because of too many traffic tickets. I heard speculations and someone said he got denied for traffic tickets, however, it turned out this person had a reckless driving.

I don't believe that people would get denied for that. It is so common to have traffic tickets that we should have heard about it by now as we heard about people getting denied for theft, DUIs and other misdemeanors.

hey

hey,
quit staring at chicks driving on the next lane to get fewer tickets.

havefun said:

-Thanks.

havefun said:
I have 6 traffic tickets so far here - 2 before(both speeding) I became Permanent Resident while the other 4 (3 of them are of speeding and 1 is for 'not stopping at STOP sign) are after I became PR.

Dude, by a radar detector!!! The Solo Cordless is a pretty good one and it saved my butt several times!

Hi,
Like havefun, I too have six traffic tickets, three from before I became a PR -from 1997 actually - and three from later (one in 2004 and two in 2005), including a jaywalking ticket, that I am contesting. Trust me, one does not need a red convertible to attract the cops :) .

Anyway, two of the three tickets from 1997 was received when I was going 77 mph in a 55 mph zone, one in MD and the other in VA. I prepaid the one in MD and pleaded guilty for the one in VA. The court sent me instructions to pay a fine, which I did. I made a mental note to be very cautious going forward and stayed out of trouble for a good six years after that.

I put the tickets behind me and forgot all about them. I reported them in my N-400 as speeding tickets with approximate dates, since I had saved no evidence for the same. As my interview date approached, I tried to follow the advice of the veterans on this forum and tried to obtain records for my offences. That is when I discovered that my VA ticket was actually a reckless driving charge, since in the great state of Virginia, speeding more than 20 mph is a misdemeanor reckless driving charge, unlike in most other places, where it is a regular infraction.

I am sure I was told that it was a reckless driving charge at the time, but having been in the US only a few months, I did not know any better. I thought the cop was just reprimanding me for being reckless. Obviously, it is a lot more serious than that. Anyway, stupidity, ignorance and mea culpas are not likely to help, so I was wondering if anyone has some constructive ideas about to handle this situation, short of praying at every church, mosque, synagogue and temple :) .

Thanks & regards,

ashutanu1

Last edited by a moderator:
havefun said:

-Thanks.

Like your name says, HaveFun and don't loose sleep over this issue.

There are people who became citizens with more tickets than you.

If you drive a Red Corvette or a Mustang...that may be an explanation.
If you really want a convertible, get a little one, a Miata for example, it's less conspicuous prone for speeding, and usually driven by women, and cops may ignore you ;)

JoeF said:
I have a Miata, and a red one at that ;) Guys drive these as well... But the "chick car" reputation is of course fine for a single guy like me :)

i will keep my eyes in my areas for a red miata... and i will ask the driver " Hey.. are you JoeF??"

havefun said:

-Thanks.
Stop thinking about them dude. They mean nothing in the N400 process. I myself have listed 6 of them (3 parking, 2 speeding, 1 signal violation) and the ONLY reference about them in the interview was 'Do you have any citations OTHER THAN THESE traffic related ones?'. The officer gave me a look suggesting why do you guys care so much about these petty things and waste our time having to go thru them? So, I guess as long as youy are not involved in DUI, reckless driving causing accidents etc. you are OK. Go and enjoy life man. There are so many wonderful tings out there to be discoverd and enjoyed. Don't waste your time thinking about these petty things.