1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many times one can apply for Reentry permit?

Discussion in 'Life After The Green Card' started by sshah1001, Oct 19, 2006.

  1. sshah1001

    sshah1001 Registered Users (C)

    Hi friends,

    Is there any limit one can apply for the reentry permit? I have already got it once and am currently using it. I am thinking to apply again once this expires.

    Also, what do I have to do with the current reentry permit when it expires?

    Thanks in Adv.

  2. belle

    belle Registered Users (C)

    as far as i know, you can apply as many times as you want. just like EAD. I applied twice in the past 3 yrs, and they approved twice. it's a great revenue source for USCIS.
  3. baikal3

    baikal3 Registered Users (C)

    Technically, there is no limit on the number of times you can apply for a reentry permit. I did it twice in the last 4 years with no problems.

    The rules are somewhat vague about it. The I-131 instructions do say that if you are applying for a new reentry permit while the previous one is still valid, you must attach the old one to your application or prove that you lost it.

    Also, in the I-131 form there is an item called "disposition" of the previous permit, with a caption underneath "attached, lost, etc".

    So it is a bit unclear if you are actually required to attach the old permit if you are applying for a new one after the old one has already expired. I attached mine, just in case, but I don't know if it was really necessary. Maybe you can just write "expired" in the "disposition" box in I-131....
  4. howdy_howdy

    howdy_howdy Volunteer Moderator

    A quick question..

    Folks, a quick question on the line of re-entry permit, since you guys have
    applied and gotten it.

    Does one needs to have ties with the US (like tax returns, credit cards,
    mortgage, rent etc) when out of the country using re-entry permit?

    Please throw some light.

  5. baikal3

    baikal3 Registered Users (C)

    In short, the answer to your question is "yes".

    Technically, the only thing a reentry permit does is to exempt you from having to obtain a returning resident visa when coming back to the U.S. after an absence that was longer than one year but less than two years.
    You still have to maintain the PR status while abroad during such a trip, same as for shorter trips. This means that the trip must be temporary in nature, that you have to file U.S. resident income tax returns while you are away, etc, etc.
  6. sshah1001

    sshah1001 Registered Users (C)

    I filed US tax return, kept the credit card, paid some bills online from India when I was on reentry permit.
    But, does this help to with citizenship continuity rule? I don't know.
    Thanks to all for your replies.
  7. ketanco

    ketanco Banned

    no it doesnt. u have to file tax anyway, not filing is a no no

Share This Page