How long does the GC take after AOS approval?

vivek.gupta765

Registered Users (C)
My parents interviewed (GC AOS in SF) 3 weeks back. We got the card production email 2 weeks 3 days back. But we havent recd the GC in the mail yet. How long does it take?

Also, what next to do now: like order SSN, how to get medicare, eligible for Social Security benefits?, etc...

Thanks!

i dont know...thats why I was asking....I have heard vaguely that some of these benefits start at age 62....so, when will they become eligible for benefits? after Citizenship?

My parents interviewed (GC AOS in SF) 3 weeks back. We got the card production email 2 weeks 3 days back. But we havent recd the GC in the mail yet. How long does it take?
Usually 1-3 weeks after the card production email. If it reaches 30 days and it hasn't arrived, they should make an Infopass appointment to have the passport stamped with an I-551, unless they already got the stamping at the interview. They should bring the approval notice to the appointment.

Also, what next to do now: like order SSN, how to get medicare, eligible for Social Security benefits?, etc...
They can apply for an SSN, but it will be years before they become eligible for Medicare or Social Security benefits (if they ever work long enough to become eligible).

i dont know...thats why I was asking....I have heard vaguely that some of these benefits start at age 62....

That's partial information. Somebody who paid into the system for 10 years can start collecting Social Security at 62 (albeit with a reduced monthly benefit than if they waited until the normal age of 65-67). But not new immigrants arriving with no work history in the US.

thanks guys!!! Follow-up Qs:
1) even for medicare eligibility, do they have to first contribute for 10yrs?
2) does medicare start at age 65? GC holders eligible?
3) so, if they're not eligible for SS benefits, is there any other benefits they're eligible for right now? or will that be after after Citizenship?
4) does this 10yr rule apply to Citizens too?

My parents have recd GC. As a next step, what needs to be done: apply for SSN, what else?

thanks!

1) even for medicare eligibility, do they have to first contribute for 10yrs?

Yes. Permanent Residents, I believe, can buy into Medicare after 5 years. For the first five years they are not eligible unless they have contributed for 40 quarters / 10 years.

2) does medicare start at age 65? GC holders eligible?

Yes, subject to the caveats above.

3) so, if they're not eligible for SS benefits, is there any other benefits they're eligible for right now? or will that be after after Citizenship?

They're not eligible for very much. They're likely ineligible for anything that's means-tested, since your assets and income will be used to determine their eligibility and the states are broke right now.

4) does this 10yr rule apply to Citizens too?

Yup.

My parents have recd GC. As a next step, what needs to be done: apply for SSN, what else?

Once they have an SSN, there's nothing else that "needs" to be done. But if you're concerned about benefits, they should try and get a job.