1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does N-600 approval takes

Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by James_Chak, May 5, 2009.

  1. James_Chak

    James_Chak Registered Users (C)

    Our Oath is May 15th and we were planning to go abroad for 6 weeks starting in August. I am wondering if i should apply N-600 for my kid now or should I wait till Sept.

    I know it varies from DO to DO; but can you guys share how long it takes to approve N-600?

  2. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    What is MHT district office?

    Other good solution would be to wait and apply in mid June, so hopefully nothing will happen before you return from your trip. N-600 only has one possible step (and it doesn't always happen). The only possible step is that you get called for a formality interview with you and your child, and if that happens I think they give you the certificate on the spot, so it happens at the end of the process, not in the middle. I think N-600 in most places take about 6 months, so I think you should be fine even if you apply now.
  3. James_Chak

    James_Chak Registered Users (C)

    Thanks for your response. MHT -> Manchester, NH.

    I also searched in this forum and found that N-600 is not necessary to get a US passport for the minor child, if the parents can produce their Certificate of Citizenship along with the passport application - same time as i apply N-600.

  4. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    Yes, N-600 is not needed to obtain a passport. For a passport for your child you will need:

    Birth certificate of child (I think translated if it is not in English language)
    parent's naturalization certificate
    Green Card of child (original, they will staple through it).

    N-600 certificate of citizenship might be useful for some strange cases in which organizations might ask for the certificate instead or on top of a passport. It is extra proof of citizenship and can help rebuild identity if other ID documents are lost. Some people think it is not worth the money, for me it was and it is.

    PS: There is another thread about someone who is being asked to produce a certificate in order to apply for a security badge. Still waiting to hear what is the last word about it. Anyway, don't mean to scare, in practical terms there is very little need currently for a certificate of citizenship.
  5. James_Chak

    James_Chak Registered Users (C)

    Thanks for the detailed explanation Huracan.
  6. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    The N-600 certificate may be useful later in life, but there is no urgent need to obtain it. It almost certainly will not be needed for anything before your child becomes an adult. Get the child's passport ASAP, then you can apply for the N-600 sometime in the future at a time when it is more convenient and you don't expect any absences from the US that could jeopardize or complicate the process.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
  7. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    Fine advice, but I would also add not to let it til much later as you might end up misplacing the GC or something else might happen, you decide to move out of the country and the whole thing gets more complicated. I agree with doing the passport first and then the N-600 when you think it fits your trip plans. I have seen cases of people having to apply N-600 when they are adults because their parents didn't do it and it tends to be a hassle for them to collect all the evidence (legal/physical custody, and any other) It is much, much easier if you do it as a parent when they are still minors. At most you'll need to provide school records.
  8. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    True, it is easier to prove legal and physical custody when the child is actually still in one's legal and physical custody. And waiting for several years could result in a huge fee increase. But it shouldn't be a big deal to wait until late September after returning from the overseas trip.
  9. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

  10. 99kevin

    99kevin New Member

    I am thinking of applying n600 for my minor child and people told me that it takes 2 months after you have mailed for the interview.so i do not know what to do can u suggest me something.plzzzzzzzzzzz.I will appreciate it
  11. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    Do you have a US passport for your child? Get that first if you don't have one. The entire time frame from applying for the N-600 until receiving the physical certificate may be longer than 6 months.
  12. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    There is not much to the N-600, just send copies of documents, not originals. Fill out the form and send the pictures and that should be it. I think 5 to 6 months should be the expectation. I am not sure where you heard about 2 months. Let us know if you have any specific question when you fill out the form. Of course you can download the form from the uscis website at www.uscis.gov and follow links to the forms page.

Share This Page