How long does INS take to cash the checks?

485ead

Registered Users (C)
My attorney sent the 485 packet sometimes 2/11. No receipts yet. Since I don\'t see the checks cashed either by INS (I wrote checks from my account).
How long does INS take to cash the checks?

Any suggestion!!!!!!!!!!

Applied H1b visa in 1998, working with the same employer. Current H-1b valid till 2004. Applied for I485 September 2001, never applied for EAD, just finished 180 days, done finger printing in February 22nd 2002. I485 was applied at Vermont Service Center. Background MBA degree, B.Sc in Finance EB-2 catagory.
Due to slow down and layoffs company is not doing well & I can understand the position. What should I do in case company close or ask me to leave. Chances of survival at current circumstances are 20% or less. Please advise.

EAD and new job

1. You need EAD asap in case the worst thing happens. It will be 90 days form the date you apply to get EAD so hurry!

2. If you think you will be laid-off, start finding a new job. Since you have complted 180 days, there won\'t be any problem changing the co. with AC21 but you can\'t do that without EAD.

EAD on the same day

In some States, you can get the EAD the same day when you apply for EAD.

Thank you so much

My employer is very cooperative. I work for f500 growing company in US. But, things could be bad just see what happened to Enron and now top 5 accounting Aurther Anderson. That what is happening with our company company is loosing business daily. So, you are suggesting me to apply for EAD. What if I receive RFE and I no longer work for the same employer.... I am very optimistic that with my background and experience I will find a job and will use my EAD. However, I am afraid I will not get the salary what I am making here or was approved on labor certificate. As you know economy is bad and companies are not paying what they supposed to 2 years ago.

RFE

I should have mntioned that without EAD you still can get a job on H-1 if the new employer is ready for that.

About the RFE, note that your GC is applied for the FUTURE job. You need to work for your employer ONLY AFTER THE APPROVAL OF 485 (GC). It is only a coinciddence that you are already in the US and applied for GC. Now, if you have completed six months, according to AC21 (and lot of questions are to be answered by INS on this), you can change your employer. The salary is another for which the INS memo said nothing (only the category). So it is anybody\'s guess, but I think with the current economy it can be convinced in case of RFE.

Best,

What if company goes out of business!!!

Thanks for the previous comments on my request. But what if my company goes out of business in 3-4 months. I am expecting to get my green card in 3-4 months. My I485 was filed in Sep 2001 done finger printing. Let\'s say if my company file chapter 11 before or right agter I receive my approval notice of I485. Thanks in advance.