How late can I have the start date in OPT?

ana754899

I am taking some time off after graduation. I want to apply for OPT as late as possible. I graduated on December 9 of 2016. So, I have until 8 February (59 days from graduation date) to file for OPT. Let's say I put the start date as Feb 9 2017 on my OPT application. It could take 3 months to get my OPT.
What can I do while waiting for my EAD through OPT? I probably can't work while waiting for my OPT, can I?
Also, since I put the start date as Feb 8, I will be losing time out of the 12month time of my OPT while I wait on EAD card, won't I?

That brings me to another last question, can I have the OPT start date later than Feb 8 or it has to be a date within 59 days after graduation date?

The OPT start date must be within 60 days of graduation. Yes, you will be losing time out of the 12 months, but on the flipside, you do not accrue days of unemployment before the EAD is issued.

The OPT start date must be within 60 days of graduation. Yes, you will be losing time out of the 12 months, but on the flipside, you do not accrue days of unemployment before the EAD is issued.
Thanks newacct. So even if my start date is earlier than the date I get the EAD card, I will not accrue days of unemployment before EAD is issued? So my umemployment days are counted only after I receive the EAD card?

Does this mean you can have 150 days of total unemployment if selecting start date of OPT as the 60th day after studies (60 days grace period for F1 + 90 days OPT unemployment rule)?