• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How do USCIS / DHS tracks the periods GC holder where outside US

zolpo

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am entering and exiting US from time to time.

When I exit, no one (as far as I know) is recording my exit. So in my passport you can see only the dates I entered USA but not the dates I exited.

So, How do USCIS / DHS tracks the periods GC holder where outside US to calculate his/her eligibility to naturalization etc.

Thanks

Airlines are required to hand over passenger flight manifests, that's the main source of USCIS data. That said, USCIS does not have perfect entry and exit records of every green card holder and there are several situations in land POEs (ie. pedestrian via Mexico) where exit might not be properly recorded. When you file for citizenship, USCIS asks about your previous 5 years worth of travels. They may only have 90% of the information at hand, but if it finds internal inconsistencies with the data you provided, I suppose there might be trouble.

Airlines are required to hand over passenger flight manifests, that's the main source of USCIS data. That said, USCIS does not have perfect entry and exit records of every green card holder and there are several situations in land POEs (ie. pedestrian via Mexico) where exit might not be properly recorded. When you file for citizenship, USCIS asks about your previous 5 years worth of travels. They may only have 90% of the information at hand, but if it finds internal inconsistencies with the data you provided, I suppose there might be trouble.

airline do privide those lists but its impossible for USCIS to scan them all - they cover only GC holders but if they (airline)fail to record you as a resident (GC holder) then nobody khows how long you been outside ;americans on top of it have problem with foreign names so even if they do record you when exiting that does not mean you gonna be in the sysytem because quite simply your name is spelled wrongly - I know alots of people who obtained citizenship without spending too much time in the US (one guy I used to work with ) was in the US all in all only 1 year total but he was claiming to be 5 years and nobody was able to prove otherwise -USCIS had no clue - they sked him and he said 5 years they said we can check and he said OK check - he was pretty sure nobody can track him .. and he was right ... he got the citizenship 30 days after that ; barely spoke english on top if it !!

I had the same concern when we initially entered the US 3 years ago, as I travelled in and out of the US for the first year. The airlines do hand over their passenger lists for their flights, and also, your passport would have been stamped at your point of entry in the country you are entering once you left the US, so thats a good way for you to keep track of your own travel record and time spent out of the US. But I wouldnt count on any of these things being conclusive for USCIS. If you are going to stay longer than 12 months, then be on the safe side and get a re-entry permit. After 5 years, if you still not sure if your total time spent in the US counts towards the time required as part of the naturalization process, then ask a lawyer about it or just spent another year or two resident in the US before applying for citizenship

I-94 cards! You have to give them at the airport when leaving the country...everything is in the system...don't worry.

I-94 cards! You have to give them at the airport when leaving the country...everything is in the system...don't worry.

Not everything.... During my last departure they didn't take my I-94 and if you cross the border by car for instance they dont keep a record.

They never take those cards I-94 - i traveled 4 years ago with large group of people from my university and from 37 of all us they took only one card back at immigration !-they don't bother with that ! So don't worry very few things are in the system- immigration officers contorling ins and outs of the country are poorly paid people of ethic origin so they don't care at all -there is so many distortion of the system that they (USCIS)can't track down more then 1/3 of the GC holders at most !!! -this was confirmed to me by immigration official I meet not so long ago - he basicly told me that unless you DECLARE HOW LONG YOU SPENT OUTSIDE OF US THEY WOULD HAVE TOUGH TIME TO DISCOVER THE TRUTH ;;;It takes too much time and he told me that USCIS does not have the time or people or means to check everyone so they work on priority basis these days - depends of the country you are coming from -if you are from high risk country they might take time ad check everything but even that is unlikely unless your are "flagged " by some other agency ;

Last edited by a moderator:
Not everything.... During my last departure they didn't take my I-94 and if you cross the border by car for instance they don't keep a record.

You have to return the card. If they don't take it at boarding, you have to mail it. Unless you visiting a neighboring country(mexico, canada) by car with the intention of coming back to the us.

Citizenship ???

My cousin have a similar sitaution, he was in and out quite a bit, more than required. Can he take the risk to apply? Do they exactly know his exits and entries?
Please help

They never take those cards I-94 - i traveled 4 years ago with large group of people from my university and from 37 of all us they took only one card back at immigration !-they don't bother with that ! So don't worry very few things are in the system- immigration officers contorling ins and outs of the country are poorly paid people of ethic origin so they don't care at all -there is so many distortion of the system that they (USCIS)can't track down more then 1/3 of the GC holders at most !!! -this was confirmed to me by immigration official I meet not so long ago - he basicly told me that unless you DECLARE HOW LONG YOU SPENT OUTSIDE OF US THEY WOULD HAVE TOUGH TIME TO DISCOVER THE TRUTH ;;;It takes too much time and he told me that USCIS does not have the time or people or means to check everyone so they work on priority basis these days - depends of the country you are coming from -if you are from high risk country they might take time ad check everything but even that is unlikely unless your are "flagged " by some other agency ;

I guess airlines take your information while exit and send them to USCIS. but I dont think they do that to track green card holders and bla bla. the system is designed to make sure that people dont overstay in US, after 9/11 events.. seeking for suspicious people is the main goal..

It is all in the comp. of airlines and I assume the US flights are reported to USCIS since I have heard more then once that USCIS has all flights and dates in their system...