How do I replace ITIN with SSN

jamborees

Registered Users (C)
I know this is not exactly an immigration related topic, but it is tax time, and I know atleast some of you must have faced this scenario before. Please help me out if you can. Thanks in advance for any help.

We have been filing tax for the last few years as "Married filing joint" and have been using ITIN for my wife. Now that she has an SSN, how do i replace ITIN with SSN on form 1040?

Thanks, again

I am in the same situation as you are, i guess we can use the SSN where we used the TIN# before.

If you got SSN then ITIN is of no use. If it is possible return that document from where it originated or throw it in dust bin, it's of no use.

--------------
It is perfectly my opinion.

jamborees ,

I am in the same situation, for this year. I was thinking of simply using the SSN and be done with it. As I imagine now the downside of it could be -- You may not be able to E file. I always used to Efile and for Efiling they ask last year return and the refund/payment amount, and it is verified before it is accepted ( I am positive about that). When the key number changes , I do not know whether it will work.

Someone who has already gone thro may post their experience .

--- pr

pradha - we went through this last year. You can still e-file, but you are right, it won't be completely paperless. If you use TurboTax (as we did) and you check the status of your return 2 or 3 days after filing, it will tell you that your return was not accepted due to the numbers (ITIN vs. SSN) not matching. But I recall that you can fill out another form (TurboTax directs you to this form - 8453-OL) and sign it and mail it to IRS. This is just a one page form. I recall that the return was then accepted in a couple of days. Use the SSN whereever the taxpayer ID is asked and not the ITIN.

The year I switched my wife's ITIN with SSN, I simply filed the paper version to avoid any flags. No problems since then using E-file.

Thanks picsarus,

That helps. I will try to get hold of a 8453-OL and file some time now

-- pr

jax_485

You may have managed to bypass the problem somehow. As eluded to earlier in this thread, the issue is not a problem with e-filing per-se, but rather a problem with electronically signing the return. The signature mechanism requires you to specify the adjusted gross income for you and your wife from the previous year's return. Presumably the IRS just look up the adjusted gross income for the particular SSN to see if it matches what you state when signing the return. Obviously for a new SSN, there will be no adjusted gross income for the previous year. However, when using TaxAct (and probably other software too), it assumes that a couple filing jointly also did so last year, and therefore the SSNs of self and spouse must share the same adjusted gross income.

As mentioned elsewhere, the solution is to use the paper signature option.

The problem only occurs in the first year that a new SSN is used. In subsequent years, one can revert to totally paperless filing.

Hi dms,

I am not sure if I understand your message correctly: one who used to e-file using TaxAct can still do the totally paperless file even though his wife's ITIN is replaced by SSN, right?

Thanks.

Hi,

I tend to concur with dms. I also used to file atleast for the last 3 yrs with Taxact. One of the years I put my wife's last year income and tax as zero, while signing on for efiling and it prompltly rejected. So apparently it is verifying the last years filing before accepting ( probably with the SSN/ITIN as key I assume).

The Only one I am harping around is on the picsarus posting, whether I can still hang on with Efiling with an 8453-OL.

I printed that form 8453-OL. It is just a one page abstract of 1040 with your/wif's name/SSN/Income/ and tax. But I am not very sure when to send it. It says send it after the intermediate service provider accepts and gives a 14 digit DCN no.

Question
Dms,

Do you remeber or still have the mail which taxact has sent last year. Do they mention a DCN ( 14 digit number) there. Unfortunately I deleted my last year email from Taxact.

Even if I mail this after I get a reciept from Taxact, will it work? as the rejection is within 48 hrs or so (as I remember), or probably I can resubmit after a week later again. What do you think? I am just probing another brain

In the end I may go with paper this year

Thanks
--pr

pradha - if I recall correctly, you get the 14 digit DCN number as soon as you efile (even before the return is accepted). When you check the status after 48 hours, it will tell you that your return was rejected due to the ID not matching. You can file the 8453-OL form after the status says rejected. If you check the status after a few days of sending this form, it will say that the efile was accepted.

If you are going to file well before the April 15 deadline, I would recommend that you try efile. If not, and you don't want any hassles, you are probably better off paper filing this year only.

OK OK

The final answer is : SSN can be used instead of ITIN and do not forget to submit form 8453-OL , those who are e-filing..

Cheers...

what I found on the net

I searched on google and got a few hits. They say that we have to notify IRS ITIN unit of the change. It may work without this "notifying", but I am going to do it anyway. It is just the matter of a FAX. Also, looks like there is no FORM to notify.

Regarding what I will fill in in 1040: I think I will just file on paper with my wife's SSN instead of ITIN. I tried to contact the ITIN unit to ask this question, but the line is very busy. If I get a definite answer regarding this I will post it.

This is the extract:

An alien
individual may become eligible to obtain
a SSN if, for example, such individual
has become a U.S. citizen or a
permanent U.S. resident (i.e., ‘‘green
card’’ holder), or is lawfully permitted
by INS to work in the United States.
The ITIN holder’s notification to the
IRS should state that the individual
either is eligible to have or has a SSN,
and should include the individual’s
name, address, previously-assigned ITIN
and new SSN (if available), the current
date, and the individual’s signature. This
information may be provided to the IRS
by FAX: (215) 516–3270 or by mail:
IRS, Philadelphia Service Center, ATTN:
ITIN Unit-D.P. 426, P.O. Box 447,
Bensalem, PA 19020. Questions regarding
this matter should be directed to
(215) 516–ITIN (4846) (not a toll-free
number).

This is the link: (I saw the similar stuff in few other links too, but this was the best with the address, ph. no, fax, etc.)

http://www.unclefed.com/Tax-Bulls/1996/RP96-52.PDF

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know whether anybody cares about this anymore, but I got a chance to talk to the IRS ITIN unit. He told me to mail/FAX them a letter as mentioned in my previous posting along with copies of the old ITIN card and new SSN card. He told me that they will merge the two.

Regarding what to use in 1040, he told me to use the SSN from now.

jamborees,

I do. However there is not much of choices to choose from as I can figure out now.

1) You do have to file with SSN
2) If you feel so you may intimate IRS about the SSN with reference to the ITIN issued , ( that is what is written even in the letter issued to you with the ITIN ). However it looks to be not a must. In any case it won't hurt to do so. I have not done it , May do.

3) Safest bet is to paper file.

4) However if you are filing well before Apr 15th, you may Efile and once you get the DCN on the Efiling send the 8453-OL as picsarus has suggested. I have a feeling it will go thro. If it does not go thro in couple of weeks you can always make a print out and send it out as paper file--------- As it stands I am planning to follow this path.

If you donot have much of refund to come , does not matter at all. I should get a substantial refund , so I do care.

That is where I stand .

Thanks and regards
---pr

jamborees,
If you are still intersted.....

Here is what I did.
1) I used taxact ( I always for last few years)
2) Finally when you submit your E-file it asks whether you have your Prev return with you. I normally respond yes. This time I made it no.
3) It printed a 8453-OL form for me and continued with Efiling.
4) After about 24 hours I got the notification that IRS has accepted the return and the DCN no.
5) Enter the DCN no in the 8453-OL and post it.

6) I got my refund credited to the bank yesterday ( filed on Feb 2nd I think.)

-- pr

please let me know:

I filed Tax with my child's Tax# last year, she didn't get $400 check for advanced child credit last year. Now she got a SSN and we want $1000 child credit this year.
Question: should I file hers with Tax # or SSN?

THank you in advance!:cool:

SSN for child , help

Hi guys,

I filed for SSN for my wife as soon as we filed the 485.
But we didnt file for SSN for my child, Can we file it ?
I thought they will ask for 2 IDs and she has got only passport, probably thats the reason i didnt file SSN for her.

Thanks