How do I get a I-551 Stamp on my Passport? GC Expired, filing N-600

TNM99

Registered Users (C)
Hi. I'd like to know if I am eligible for an I-551 stamp on my passport, and if so how can I get one? My greencard is expiring in a few weeks. I'm filing an N-600 so I'm reluctant to renew my GC (also, I am probably a citizen anyway so I definitely DO NOT want to renew my GC). The only problem is that I plan to be traveling, but I can't do that with an expired GC. Does UCIS provide an I-551 stamp for someone with a pending N-600 application? And if so, what do I need to show to a USCIS officer for the I-551 stamp during an Infopass?

I am also thinking of applying for a US passport, but I think the process is more complicated and lengthy then just getting the stamp. Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
TNM99,

This is a long weekend question, so this is a long weekend answer ;) To be honest, it probably doesn't matter. USCIS can be so dysfunctional that might send you a form for a benefit that you don't longer need. I am pretty sure that you can renew that green card with no problem, as perhaps USCIS doesn't have a clue whether you're a citizen or not. My point would be that you need some proof of status, for now the GC is a proof of status, albeit you are probably a citizen already. I wouldn't see much harm that you look to renew the Green Card, even as you're convinced you're a citizen, it's all in the bureaucracy. An expedited passport should be quite fast, couple of weeks or so. It's ultimately your choice. For me I would try an expedited passport if your GC is still valid.

My 2 long weekend cents.

Yes, the easiest thing to do would be to apply for a US passport. The USCIS will put an I-551 in your passport if you are held up in the N-400 process (and you applied more than six months before your GC expired). I have no idea about an N-600.

Thanks for the responses. Actually my green card expires next week, which is why I'd like a stamp so that I can travel around mid-June. In my case, I don't know if I can get a US passport since I don't have all the necessary docs. I.e., I think I need a state ID like a driver's license which I don't have. (Live in NYC, so I sort of forgot to get one since it's a hazard to drive here; although I plan to get a license after I've finished with the citizenship stuff).

I thought that I might qualify for an I-551 stamp since I'm filing citizenship docs; but if I don't then so be it. I guess I won't be travelling until I get all of my documents in order.

Okay, I'm confused. It looks as though I don't need a driver license as a proof of identity. I can provide a proof of identity through a witness rather than an actual ID card. Is that right?

I can present the following docs:

1) Certificate of Naturalization of both parents (originals)
2) My GC (may be) expired
3) My foreign unexpired passport
4) Parent's drivers license

Anything else I might need to get a US passport?

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

You'll probably be fine. However, it's not that difficult to get a state ID. You don't need a driver's license. All you have to do is go down to your local DMV, take your passport, greencard, social security card and ask for a "State ID." In most states they'll give you one on the spot and if not, they'll mail it to you within 2 weeks.

Probably the simplest way to ensure you get a passport.

However, if you don't want to go get a state ID, you can take the documents you have to the post office and see if they process it. If they do, great and if not, go get a state ID...

Also, if you're applying based on your parents' naturalization, I'm fairly certain you need a birth certificate and possibly your parents' marriage license/certificate.

Oh, yeah. Thanks for that. I forgot the list the birth certificates/marriage certificates, which I have. For the ID, I think I will go with the affidavit of identifying witness because I believe that could take place of actual state ID and I can get that immediately. I don't want to encounter any delay if they end up having to mail it to me; and I've heard stories about how inefficient DMV can be so who knows what will happen. Thanks for the suggestion though.

This website is such a great resource for information; I'm so glad I came across it. Thanks to all!

Thanks. What a relief!

For those who filed a N-600, I have one last question (hopefully). In the instructions, it seems requirements for physical presence (eg, leases, school, employment records) in the US is ONLY for the parent and not myself. Is that a correct reading? Or must I prove that I also lived with my parents at the time they naturalized before I turned 18? That might be difficult for me to do since, as those familiar with my bio may know, that was some time ago, and it would be very difficult for me to conjure up those records (eg I would have to call up my first and secondary schools for their records). If my reading of the instructions prove correct, I think they request physical presence documents only from the parents. Anyways here is the relevant passage:

Proof of required residence or physical presence in US: Any doc that proves the US citizen parents' residence or physical presence in the US. This proof may include but is not limited to the following:

---School, employment, military records;
---Deeds, mortgages, leases showing residence;
---Attestations by churches, unions or other organizations
---US SS quarterly reports;
---Affidavits

If evidence of physical presence is required for myself, might it also be required when I apply for a passport or is just parent's naturalization certs and green card sufficient, as stated in the instructions for applying for a US passport? I'm probably overthinking this. Again, my reading of the above is that physical presence is only required of the parent and not the one applying for the cert. So I am thinking that I don't need to conjure up more than my parent's naturalization certs, green card, birth and marriage certificate, and my own proof of my current residence such as perhaps a utility bill or cancelled check if I apply for a passport. Is that correct? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I just read over the instructions. It sounds like they only want proof of the parent's residence, not the child's. We provided both (2 drivers licenses, a paycheck stub and a report card).

Yes. I think it is the parent's proof of residence only. I'm getting immigration expert to read through my N600 application before I mail it so hopefully he will catch it if something goes wrong. I will mail my application next week if all goes well.

Okay. So I tried to apply for a US passport via acceptance agent and I couldn't today because there was a swarm of people ahead of me and the agent was taking like 30 minutes to review each application. So annoying. So I will have to come back next week.

Anyways. I spoke to a postal employee who was just walking about answering questions. She informed that I could not apply for a passport because the naturalization certs were "out of date" and not an original (I had the originals in a seperate folder which I intended to show the agent to check with the copy, but not to submit with my application). Also, she said you needed to submit originals of the birth certificate. Then she said that I couldn't apply for a passport with parent's naturalization certs. because I was too old and you needed to be under 18; the only way to do it is if I show proof that I filed an N-600, eg a receipt of some sort. Except for the last statement, is what she said about originals true? My understanding is that copies are sufficient as long as you have originals to compare but you don't have to submit them with the application.

I am sure that I am a US citizen because I consulted both an immigration attorney as well as a USCIS officer during an infopass and they both ensured me that I could file an N-600, so I definitely know that I can apply for a passport so she was wrong about that. I hope the next time I apply an uninformal postal person doesn't give me a hard time about being eligible for a US passport.

For a passport, you have to submit originals of everything. You'll get it back when you get your passport.

Yes, as far as I know, you need to submit the originals of everything. I strongly doubt that the agent is correct when he said only minors could submit passports using parental natz certs.

Take a look at page 2 of the DS-11 instructions (http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79955.pdf). It says:

1. PROOF OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP
    • APPLICANTS BORN OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES Submit a previous U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or evidence described below.
      1. If You Claim Citizenship Through Naturalization of Parent(s). Submit the Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s), your foreign birth certificate, and proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence.
It doesn't say anything about age (it is very explicit in other areas where age is important). It would be silly to have that requirement. That would mean that if you let your passport expire for 20 years, you'd never be able to get a new one.

Yeah, I'm aware of those instructions. I had a copy of it with me and I'll present to the agent if they give me a hard time next time. When I went down to see USCIS officer to confirm my citizenship status, 2 officers (a plain clothed senior officer and a uniformed junior officer; coincidentally they both happened to be at the booth when I was called) told me that I should file an N-600 and said there is no problem with me being over 18.The nice lady officer said that this was basic information and I didn't need to have inconvenience myself by doing an infopass get this info. This is the same office that will handle my N-600 application, so I'm 100% positive cos also every other immigration expert I consulted told me the same thing.

I don't know who the postal employee is, whether she was a designated agent or not. She was just walking around answering questions; but I sort of doubt she was qualified to give advice in cases such as mine. (I've never heard that I was required to include a N-600 receipt and that would somehow trump the "expired" status of both my parent's naturalization certificates; and somehow the fact that I filed N-600 would automatically get me a passport--it's not even logical and they seem to rely on what USCIS have to say rather than themselves knowing the laws; plus, she is not a DOS employee just works at a post office...so). I also thought they were supposed to just process the application for the Department of State, not diagnose every case. Oh well.

As I understand it, the post offices role is to examine your identification to make sure that, to the best of their knowlege you are who you say you are (i.e., the picture on the ID matches your face and the ID looks valid). They also do a cursory document check. They aren't supposed to decide on the validity of your other claims.

If you have a problem, try another post office or some other passport acceptance facility (for example, I think some county offices here accept passports - http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/)

Thanks. I definitely will try another facility. Yeah, it sounds like their function is to be a notary than anything else. I had an old version of the nationalization certs since my parents got their citizenship years ago; but I think its function is to prove citizenship status rather than function as an ID and I've never heard of certificates expiring. She wasn't behind a booth so I don't know what her function really was--maybe she was there for crowd control.

Hello all. I just got my passport applications successfully processed with an acceptance agent. I also mailed my N-600 on Friday, but I have yet to receive a return receipt. The process seems really slow.