How do I Change the Interview Date?

Bmore

Registered Users (C)
My mother needs more time to prepare for her U.S. Ctizenship Test. How can I contact my local office in order to get the interview date pushed back?

Do I have to do it in writing or can I do it over the phone?

Thank you

Have her send a copy of her interview letter back to USCIS along with a letter requesting for her interview to be rescheduled.

I would not consider postponing the interview if I were you. The test is easy -just sit with your mom and help her out. Its not easy getting a date once you postpone it .

If someone is not prepared for the interview for any reason they should postpone it. There's no sense in getting denied.
I agree that the test is easy and they should have waited until OP's Mom was ready, but as the application is already in process, they should request a new date. However, don't let that lull you into complacency. Depending on the load, they could reschedule an interview within a few weeks.

Make sure your mom practices writing in English as well.

Good luck to your Mom.

Thank you for all the input.

Yes, the test is indeed easy and it's not impossible to pass it but it can take a long time to learn for some individuals who never had any education in past. Go to some countries and try explaining them the concept of a republic -- it can be very hard especially as people age.

Initially, I thought my mother would do well given one month to study but she is a slow learner despite studying for several hours a day. She has no real experience with education in past. I felt bad after seeing her study for several hours and still struggling. She wants to pass the interview and have a sense of accomplishment. That's the only reason I want to push back the interview date. She is trying and that's all it matters.

If you search this forum, you will not find a thread that says I fail the speaking/writing/civic test during the interview. Again, the test is easy for some individuals who speak or understand minimal English but for others, it's a whole different game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the test is indeed easy and it's not impossible to pass it but it can take a long time to learn for some individuals who never had any education in past. Go to some countries and try explaining them the concept of a republic -- it can be very hard especially as people age.

Initially, I thought my mother would do well given one month to study but she is a slow learner despite studying for several hours a day. She has no real experience with education in past. I felt bad after seeing her study for several hours and still struggling. She wants to pass the interview and have a sense of accomplishment. That's the only reason I want to push back the interview date. She is trying and that's all it matters.

If you search this forum, you will not find a thread that says I fail the speaking/writing/civic test during the interview. Again, the test is easy for some individuals who speak or understand minimal English but for others, it's a whole different game.

You do realize that all she has to do is to answer 6 questions out of 10 correctly. Just in case you are not aware.
When I was last checking in my area - there were some social groups who will organize monthly mock citizenship exams - see if these are available, and these can be help.

Last, how old is she, and how long has she been PR?

[Edit / Add] : Have you seen and used flash cards for the civics test?

You do realize that all she has to do is to answer 6 questions out of 10 correctly. Just in case you are not aware.
When I was last checking in my area - there were some social groups who will organize monthly mock citizenship exams - see if these are available, and these can be help.

Last, how old is she, and how long has she been PR?

[Edit / Add] : Have you seen and used flash cards for the civics test?

Yes, 6/10 questions needs to be correct which means she needs to prepare for at least 60 civic questions and more if she wants to increases her chances of passing.

She does not meet other requirement (age, or length or PR) to skip the writing and speaking portion of the test.

Can an IO only ask her to read/write one word only? I heard an IO do that in past for another individual who spoke/understood little English so I was wondering if it's a common practice.

Are there civic audio flashcards available online? She cannot read well and thus cannot study by herself with flashcards; someone has to read it to her.

Hi All: Could I ask that my interview and my wife's are moved to be on the same day (primarily for convenience due to driving distance) or it's not worth the hassle? Here's my situation:

N-400 (to Dallas, TX) on July 26 (2010) - two separate envelops (one for me and one for my wife) as advised by our local American Civic Office
Checks cashed for both July 28 (both)
Receipts received August 2 (both)
FP notice received August 4 (both)
Fingerprints done August 19 (both)
My interview interview scheduled for September 28 1:30pm
My wife's interview scheduled for October 4 (received three days later) 8:30am

The interview will be in Latham, NY, which is about 2 hours and 15 minutes away. Here are my questions:

1) Is it possible or worth calling to move one or the other where we can both interview on the same day? Or should I just take my wife with me and see if she can interview that day? Are walk-ins allowed? Or should I try an InfoPass appointment that day for her?
2) Is it possible that our oath is now going to be scheduled for different days?

Now I am thinking I should have sent both N-400's in the same package, perhaps in two separate envelops, but this way the timings would be the same for both of us. There are conflicting opinions on this, but some people sent their applications in one package and everything occurred on the same day! Nice!

What do you folks suggest? Any advice or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

question on Latham NY oath process

Hi - hope your and your wife's interviews went well. Can you advise if you were able to take the oath on the same day as the interview? If not, how long was that wait? Where did you have your oath? Thanks.

Reschedule was super easy for me!

My mother needs more time to prepare for her U.S. Ctizenship Test. How can I contact my local office in order to get the interview date pushed back?

Do I have to do it in writing or can I do it over the phone?

Thank you

Because I already made up my vacation plan, I had to reschedule my n-400 interview. Basically I made a InfoPass appointment online (https://infopass.uscis.gov/infopass.php), went to my local USCIS (Columbus, OH) office the 2nd day and told the officer that I had my vacation plan and won't be back in town until xxx. She wrote a note on my interview appointment letter and made a copy for me and asked me to wait for a new notice. After waiting for about 20 days, I got the new appointment in the letter and it was literally rescheduled for the 2nd day right after I came back in town.

Hope that helps!