how can I obtain proof that I pay traffic ticket

stoil2

Registered Users (C)
I didn't list my traffic tickets in my N-400 but I would like to bring proof that I paid them to the interview. I had three tickets (two of them big enough to require traffic school, which I completed, and nothing more than $500), and for one of them I can't find my receipt. Is there a way to obtain that from DMV or court and is there a fee for that? Also should I obtain copy of my driving record?

Thanks,
Stoil

I think based on the new N400 check list, you would not be required to bring any proof of payment for any fines under $500.

However, you still need to disclose them during the interview, since you did not include them in your n400 form.

stoil2 said:
I didn't list my traffic tickets in my N-400 but I would like to bring proof that I paid them to the interview. I had three tickets (two of them big enough to require traffic school, which I completed, and nothing more than $500), and for one of them I can't find my receipt. Is there a way to obtain that from DMV or court and is there a fee for that? Also should I obtain copy of my driving record?

Thanks,
Stoil

If you need a copy of the paid ticket in any case, the court clerk's office where you paid the fine, will provide you the certified copy. This is how I got all of my tickets.

traffic ticket records

I did a google search and came up with some websites that offer a paid service. rmvrecords is one of them.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

aspiringcitizen said:
I did a google search and came up with some websites that offer a paid service. rmvrecords is one of them.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Though it takes some extra time to go to every court( well, depends howmany :) ), we need a 'certified' copy. court clerks give it free of charge or a samll fee of $5 per ticket.

ocworker said:
I think based on the new N400 check list, you would not be required to bring any proof of payment for any fines under $500.

However, you still need to disclose them during the interview, since you did not include them in your n400 form.
The check list says you don't have to provide proof with your N-400 submission. It does not mean that you don't need to provide proof at interview.

NJGoose said:
The check list says you don't have to provide proof with your N-400 submission. It does not mean that you don't need to provide proof at interview.

ok. good point. we could have lot of discussion about this kind of similar sitation... such as tax return form.. form does not say to send it.. however, it does not mean someone do not need to provide it at the interview.. and go on and go on..

zzerous said:
What if you get your driving record.....is not a clear driving record sufficient?
A driver record may not be sufficient to some CIS officers. If you report minor traffic violations on your N-400 or intend to mention them at interview, be prepared to provide receipts.

what about we paid online ? (traffic and parking ticket) .. where can we get
"certified copied" .. coz so far I hace 2 traffic tickets and 8 parking ticket. and honestly. all my receipt .. kinda scattered around :( i didnt know that parking ticket receipt can be such a big deal. but then again .. with USCIS anything could happen. thx in advance.

Stoil,

I got my receipts for my citations by fax from the police station of the City where I got them. They hand you through to some department that keeps those records.

One of my two citations I got in Key West, seven years back - of course I had no proof whatsoever (Key West, mind you !). I paid, of course. I was lucky to remember what month and year it was. They asked me for the license plate and I got my fax in 15 minutes Start to Finish. My attitude was, if I could not get some proof I would have at least some documentation that I tried to get proof.

However, that was before the $500 limit was introduced ... Maybe, if you would like to have proof anyway, you may have luck by contacting the police station of that area. Good Luck !

Alex

Miss.PinK said:
what about we paid online ? (traffic and parking ticket) .. where can we get
"certified copied" .. coz so far I hace 2 traffic tickets and 8 parking ticket. and honestly. all my receipt .. kinda scattered around :( i didnt know that parking ticket receipt can be such a big deal. but then again .. with USCIS anything could happen. thx in advance.

You don't need to mention parking tickets.
Traffic tickets need to be mentioned only, you don't have to have proof of paying or anything else...unless the tickets were over $500 or were serious violations like DUI, DWI, reckless driving, etc.

OK Guys. I am in the same boat and so I called USCIS and here is what he said.

If the traffic violation is relatively small which did not lead to any arrest, then you don't have to put it in the application form at all. If you did then it is a good idea to bring all the related documents to show that you did pay the fine. Hope this helps.

I called the courthose clerk that had jurisdiction over the place of issue of the citation. Two of my citations were like 9 years old and they did not have any records that old. But they were kind enough to give me a letter stating that I do not have any unpaid tickets. But in the end the interviewing officer did not care about.

Suzy977 said:
You don't need to mention parking tickets.
Traffic tickets need to be mentioned only, you don't have to have proof of paying or anything else...unless the tickets were over $500 or were serious violations like DUI, DWI, reckless driving, etc.

Why, where does the N400 instruction says "Traffic tickets need to be mentioned only"? Did you read the instruction? It is funny to see you made up your own rule and ask others to follow.

AlexanderG said:
Stoil,

I got my receipts for my citations by fax from the police station of the City where I got them. They hand you through to some department that keeps those records.

One of my two citations I got in Key West, seven years back - of course I had no proof whatsoever (Key West, mind you !). I paid, of course. I was lucky to remember what month and year it was. They asked me for the license plate and I got my fax in 15 minutes Start to Finish. My attitude was, if I could not get some proof I would have at least some documentation that I tried to get proof.

However, that was before the $500 limit was introduced ... Maybe, if you would like to have proof anyway, you may have luck by contacting the police station of that area. Good Luck !

Alex

It is funny that police station will feel puzzled that there is a recent surge of people requesting tickets information 7 or 9 years ago. In my opinion they should really start to think of making money out of it. That DMV site the guy provided is a perfect example for suckers like you guys. I wonder how much they charge?

NJGoose said:
A driver record may not be sufficient to some CIS officers. If you report minor traffic violations on your N-400 or intend to mention them at interview, be prepared to provide receipts.

In your imagination again> Where does instruction says provide receipt?

naturalizer123 said:
Why, where does the N400 instruction says "Traffic tickets need to be mentioned only"? Did you read the instruction? It is funny to see you made up your own rule and ask others to follow.

Fact 1: This is my opinion and I personally believe that I'm right.

Fact 2: Naturalizer123 disagree with me.

Fact 3: If someone else needs an explanation why do I think I'm right, I may answer...as for naturalizer123, I don't give a damn, the conversation is over.
;)

Suzy977 said:
Fact 1: This is my opinion and I personally believe that I'm right.

Fact 2: Naturalizer123 disagree with me.

Fact 3: If someone else needs an explanation why do I think I'm right, I may answer...as for naturalizer123, I don't give a damn, the conversation is over.
;)

Please do not intepret the law by adding irrelevant personal comment , this is a disservice to fellows seeking advice. The fact is that your personal opinion is all wrong and you need to have the courage to admit that.

Please help but don;t mislead others.