How about some self-respect?

purplehazea

Registered Users (C)
As an immigrant affected by the current retrogression, I urge you all to respect yourself. The immigration policies in USA are anti-immigrant at this point in time. There is always talk about immigration reforms for those who jump the fence. But there is no such momentum for legal immigrants. Legal immigrants, in particular indians and chinese have been back stabbed and screwed by the system in the most cruel manner.

It is high time we start respecting ourselves. Let us look for immigration friendly shores where our skills, lives and rights are respected without any need for petitioning and living in endless hope. Peace to you all. Please stop thinking that USA is the only objective and option for you. You are skilled and there are many countries that will welcome you with open arms.

purplehazea said:
As an immigrant affected by the current retrogression, I urge you all to respect yourself. The immigration policies in USA are anti-immigrant at this point in time. There is always talk about immigration reforms for those who jump the fence. But there is no such momentum for legal immigrants. Legal immigrants, in particular indians and chinese have been back stabbed and screwed by the system in the most cruel manner.

It is high time we start respecting ourselves. Let us look for immigration friendly shores where our skills, lives and rights are respected without any need for petitioning and living in endless hope. Peace to you all. Please stop thinking that USA is the only objective and option for you. You are skilled and there are many countries that will welcome you with open arms.

I don't like this kind of post. You have your choice and I have mine. It doesn't mean I disagree with you for this matter. But stop teaching others what is right thing to do. take care of your own business.

flyer010 said:
I don't like this kind of post. You have your choice and I have mine. It doesn't mean I disagree with you for this matter. But stop teaching others what is right thing to do. take care of your own business.

Hi Flyer,

Who is teaching anyone anything? Don't just get offended for no reason. I am just saying that if one truly feels like he/she is not being treated justly, he/she can take heart in the fact that there are other options. Which part of my posting asked you or anyone to do as I say? Don't just write without understanding.

Peace!

Some people lack self-esteem and endure bonded-labor longer than others.
It is just a matter of personal taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
flyer010 said:
Purplehazea just shared thoughts with us. I think it's a piece well written full of good intentions.

Self respect

Purplehaza,
do you mean to say that people who fight at every stage and get the green card for whatever time they waited lack self respect?

The fact that INS set PD as 1998/1999 shows there are people still waiting since then.
Do you say they all lack self respect?

With all your self respect why are you trying to give up your citizenship of country of birth and came as an "ALIEN WORKER" and try to become a citizen of another country?

Lets be careful about what we post in a public forum.

jolly_fellow said:
Purplehaza,
do you mean to say that people who fight at every stage and get the green card for whatever time they waited lack self respect?
My comment was directed towards people who are willing to endure
bonded labor indefinitely for GC. Not everyone waiting for GC are doing
that, some of them are working on extremely good paying jobs H1.
jolly_fellow said:
With all your self respect why are you trying to give up your citizenship of country of birth and came as an "ALIEN WORKER" and try to become a citizen of another country?
Not everyone is planing to give up their citizenship. I need GC for two three reasons only.
1) Qualify for lower mortgage.
2) Reduce my tution costs by 1/3
3) Reclaim my social security contribution when I leave US for good.

jolly_fellow, I am all ears for your counter argument.

armie said:
Some people lack self-esteem and endure bonded-labor longer than others.
It is just a matter of personal taste.

I need a better story from you that shows self-respect and self-esteem delivers your freedom sooner than others.

Being cynic doesn't help. neither does talking those B.S. I saw you turned on all the indian and chinese who are waiting for GC in one post, so supposely you are not one of them. You are god-sent here to help everyone know there is such a thing like self-esteem or self respect, which will help for all immigration issues.

"do you mean to say that people who fight at every stage and get the green card for whatever time they waited lack self respect?"

i think purple meant about allowing amnesty to illegals and let them become PRs in this country and on the other hand screwing the ppl who live here legally pay taxes, social security..etc...etc.. he is right in venting his frsutration about some real need of immigration reform for ppl who are waiting for 4-5 yrs. i do not see anything wrong with that.
again "self-respect" mean different things to different ppl. i have to say when this talk about retrogession surfaced 2-3 weeks ago, i was wondering what the hell am i doing here. luckily i got my ead and such, so my spouse can work. but if i had been in a situation that i cannot file my 485 i probably would have packed my bags and gone back home.
i wouldn't say USA is anti-immigrant, and neither USa is screwing india and china. but the fact that every country in the world gets the same percentage of visa numbers is plain stupid and dumb. how many ppl from singapore or taiwan would want to come and work here. there are cases where the singapore H-1b quotas are not even used. so i can't understand the current policy of alloting equal number of visa numbers for every country.
how many ppl are going to use Eb-2 employment from say panama, honduras...not many...no disrespect to these countries..but the population of these countries are so low they are not more than a large city in india or china.

"The fact that INS set PD as 1998/1999 shows there are people still waiting since then.
Do you say they all lack self respect?"
again different ppl come to usa for different reasons..some here on amnesty.. some for better work..some to make money..some to fuel their innovation...some to become an entreprenuer...some plainly hate their motherland and want to stay away.

taking the tone and tenor of his post out of the equation and if you analyze objectively...the fact is skilled pros are in demand all over the world...japan,australia, canada, germany ...are all wooing ppl all over the world. so ppl have to checkout their options...i sincerely believe america if wants skilled ppl to live here has to seriously think about it and come up with a plan to retain the folks who are here for 5-6 years and contrubuted to the US economy.

my more than 2 cents...

Maybe the title is a little bit provoking, However

Purplehazea is very kind and very careful to post this here.
It just reminds people that we could have more options like other countries, consular process, go back to school, start own business at home country...
I felt very comfortable when read it, although I am a big victim of this. Ironically, I received my 140 hard copy the morning visa bulletin was changed officially. I know I am eligible to extend my H1B for 3 years indefinately now. However, if I'm laid off, I have to restart GC process from scratch.
I don't know if I should take other options or continue to hold current job for 4 more years (as U.S President).
Either way, I have my self-respect.

Note:
Self-respect: Proper pride in oneself; the feeling that one need not be ashamed of oneself.
jolly_fellow said:
Purplehaza,

The fact that INS set PD as 1998/1999 shows there are people still waiting since then.
Do you say they all lack self respect?

Lets be careful about what we post in a public forum.

There are degrees of everything... so this will be an well-intentioned but endless discussion, is my fear... :D

People are frustrated with the current situation and that is understandable.

There are many countries that need skilled workers, but believe me it is nothing better than here. This is my 5th time being an immigrant, so I think I have some insight into the issue. Yes, the immigration procedure might be faster, but there is more to it than just the papers. The most important part is the treatment you receive from the society, specially if you are not white. The sad truth is that being an immigrant always sucks, no matter where you are.
Considering all the facts and the big picture, I think that USA is still number one for immigrants. Number of legal and illegal immigrants that come here each year speaks the volume.

Congress needs to increase number of visas per year and that would solve the problem. But that will take some time...