Houston, TX N-400 Time Line

I mailed mine on Nov 6. Did not get a fingerprinting appointment for my N-400. I checked with an IO over the phone and was told that my fingerprints are current in the system as I had done em recently for my I-90 (lost GC) on 12/1/10. I had filed the I-90 just a few days before the N-400.

Hi all,
this forum is very nice. So much info here. It helps a lot. Today I decided to contribute by sharing my timeline.
DO: Houston
Oct 25, 2010: Sent to Lewisville, TX
Oct 28, 2010: Application Received
Oct 29, 2010: NOA
Nov 3, 2010: Check Cashed
Dec 6, 2010: Called USCIS and raised Service Request
Dec 16, 2010: RFE status
Dec 20, 2010: RFE letter received (Biometrics only - scheduled for Jan 5, 2010)
Dec 20, 2010: FP Done (walk in)
Dec 27, 2010: Yellow Letter received (Driver License only)
Dec 27, 2010: Case transferred to local office
Dec 31, 2010: Service Request Letter received saying FP done on Dec 20, 2010 still valid
Dec 31, 2010: Interview Letter received
Feb 2, 2011: Interview Day

Last edited by a moderator:
I went ahead and called the Customer Service 800 number. My case has been transferred to the local office yesterday, but the website does not automatically reflect this. Perhaps I will receive a notice today. No interview date yet, but I assume it will be scheduled today or tomorrow. Judging by the others' dates the status may change just when the IL is issued and mailed.

Call to USCIS Service Center - different info

Amazing. Apparently in tier 2 Customer Service it is who you talk to that matters. Called again yesterday, got a male officer with quite an attitude who insisted that there was nothing in my case to indicate it has been requested by the local office and transferred. He actually implied that I was lying about having received such information before.
I was so discouraged that I decided to call again and see which officer was right. Had major trouble convincing the first customer service person to transfer me to tier 2. But I was finally connected and got the nicest officer ever. Very polite and helpful, very willing to look up the information in various sections that he kept checking. What he discovered finally made sense. The local office did request the case on the 12th of January. But it has not been transferred just yet. This sounds right since the case contains my original application hence has to be mailed and not just electronically transferred. I am in line to be scheduled an interview, and according to this last officer the Service Center does that based on the local office slot availability.
It seems that it's not such a good idea to rely on the non-written information. A single person may not know everything (like the original tier 2 person who told me that my case had been requested AND transferred) or may not be willing to check the file thoroughly (like the opinionated officer who was not so helpful).

Notification received today that my case has been transferred to a local office and my case status has been updated to Testing and Interview.

Finally received the case status update e-mail at 3:45 pm. Status changed to "Testing and interview". No SMS, though! I did sign up for it.

duly, we should have ILs in now time at all! :)

Finally received the case status update e-mail at 3:45 pm. Status changed to "Testing and interview". No SMS, though! I did sign up for it.

duly, we should have ILs in now time at all! :)

I hope so man. I don't know how far out the interview date is going to be. I really would like to to be able to take oath on the 22nd if that's when they have the feb ceremony.

I hope so man. I don't know how far out the interview date is going to be. I really would like to to be able to take oath on the 22nd if that's when they have the feb ceremony.
I wish. Just got off the phone with tier 2 USCIS customer service - my interview is scheduled for February 28th. Perhaps yours is a couple of days before mine. But my ceremony is surely no earlier than March 23rd.
Why, oh why don't we have administrative oath in Houston?!

I wish. Just got off the phone with tier 2 USCIS customer service - my interview is scheduled for February 28th. Perhaps yours is a couple of days before mine. But my ceremony is surely no earlier than March 23rd.
Why, oh why don't we have administrative oath in Houston?!

I'll check on mine tomorrow. This really sucks man....we'll have to wait another month for oath. I really need to travel (work related) and it would really suck for me. I wish there was a way to get same day oath or a way to reschedule the interview for an earlier date. I guess I'll make an infopass appt once I get the letter and try to find out my options. Anyway, good to know that at least there is closure in sight. Please let me know if you find out something about a same day oath.

N-400Houston

What do you base youe expected oath date on? is there a schedule somewhere for Houston DO?

Wish you good luck

Duly, if you plan for Infopass, you may schedule one right away - the officer at the window has access to the whole case information and will be able to tell you when the interview is and even print a copy of the interview letter for you. This happened to me with the fingerprint letter when I went to an Infopass appointment unrelated to my N-400. After I was finished discussing this other matter (temporary evidence, I did not have my plastic GC), I asked about the N-400 case and she printed me a letter three days before I got it in the mail. I bet it is safe to assume your interview is already scheduled since you were ahead of me on the case transfer date.

Do let me know what you find out! So far I learned they can expedite the case when there is severe financial hardship to an individual or a company, but need to travel does not qualify, as you may easily travel with a visa anywhere you might need an American passport, and as far as attending the interview and oath - they may be rescheduled if they fall on the travel dates. That was the tier 2 response to my "expedite" question.

I will be really curious to know if there is a way to expedite the oath itself. So far my understanding is that Houston does not do administrative oaths other than for someone unable to attend judicious ceremony for physical reasons.