Hot topic - SECURITY REVIEW

Is it 'Security Check' or 'Security Review'

I received a letter from USCIS stating that my application is under 'Security Check'.

What is the difference between 'Security Check' and 'Security Review'? I'm now assuming that there is a difference.

If they are different, I'm pretty sure the timelines for processing would be different.

As noted earlier in this thread, I one of the processes is more elaborate. I'm assuming the 'security check' takes more time that the 'security review'. Case in point, my application. Moreover, I have heard that the FBI name check is now done 'in-house' i.e. USCIS has access to the database (FBI) and they do the name check in real time. The only time there is a delay is when the records have a flag or some other discrepency.

I'm planning to call USCIS to get a clarification regarding the difference between 'check' and 'review'.

sanfu,

I pretty much think security review and check are the same.Did you have a timeline in your notice. Did they ask you to call them if the case doesnt clear in an 6 month interval?

Guys,

Feel sorry to read about your very frustrating and helpless situation. Individually and jointly putting efforts with all affected applicants from all centers, loudly expressing thru emails, letters thru all possible channels including congressmen soas to be heard where it matters, FBI and elsewhere.

I know some of you have been following up on those lines, but doing it repeatedly may make the recipient realise about your frustration.

Best luck.

DIGS

sensat said:
sanfu,

I pretty much think security review and check are the same.Did you have a timeline in your notice. Did they ask you to call them if the case doesnt clear in an 6 month interval?
No. They stated that they "are unable to provide an estimate of how long any one application may remain in security check". Its pretty much up in the air. It could happen any time .. or not.

sensat,

Could you post the link to that specific article about security checks in immigration-law.com please ?.

I called up the senator's office and spoke to the contact. I told her that uscis has detailed the checks that are necessary for each form. The I 140 requires only an IBIS check which has been already done in the case of my EAD and AP. So if they have been cleared then my I 140 has to be cleared too.

She is going to look in to the document and also check with nebraska in cross reference to the document.

Will update the forum as soon as I get something.

Good catch Sensat, I am going to talk to my lawyer about this too.

IDIOTS, they just LIE when you make an inquiry that it is pending security checks.

By the way, thanks for posting that link sensat. It has answers to many of our questions.

It is unfortunate to know that only people who file a write mandamus can expedite the process, otherwise the case is stuck until the concerned officer takes time to work on the case. Also I was amazed to see 1000 mandamus cases in the federal court. I know the real no. could be well over 1000. People like you and me are lil more patient and waiting for the good news every day. In reality, we should'nt have to wait this long (or) shouldn't have to spend couple of thousand dollars to file a manadamus.

I came to know that whatever application I send to NSC, it is being put on hold because of the security checks. The frustrating thing is that they just take the money (check is cashed within a week you send to NSC) but they would not approve the case.

Again these IDIOTS, should do their job. After all, isn't what they are paid for !!.

Security check on 140

I am sailing in the same boat. My I140 and 485 were filed concurrently on March 3 ,2004. Initiated a status check on my pending 140 through my lawyer recently and the reply from USCIS said "..awaiting results of required security checks..."

I want to follow up on these so called "secrity checks" and need this group's help on how to contact the FBI and my Senator. Can somebody please pass me the contact details. I live In NJ but my case was filed in NSC by my company's office in Chicago. Which Senaotor should I contact (NJ/IL?)

Thanks in advance ..

Call the NJ senator. Its the place you live that matters.The FBI has stopped responding to queries.The senator is the one who can help you find the status. The senators office also would contact the FBI liason if yours is in FBI name check. But since your 140 has not been approved..I guess you are in the IBIS name check..Thats the uscis check.

Sensat,

Did you hear anything from ur senator ?. In my case, it is circling around. Lawyer contacted NSC supervisor. The supervisor refuses to give a clear answer (it is unfortunte) as to what is holding up case, whether FBI check or IBIS check.

Then the lawyer contacted AILA, they say that a hit from IBIS could have triggered the FBI check. For now, I am sitting tight. In any case, if there is a hit, I am sure it is a false-hit, they should try to prove it wrong and clear it. Only God can talk to that responsible person who is not willing to do his job and help me !

Last edited by a moderator:
Didnt get anything from my senator yet.My lawyer is not in town. Our paralegal did try to get information but they didnt give her any information. If we get them to move on our cases they we should be cleared soon.

Thats what I have about these. They dont even try to resolve the hits and leave them lying over somewhere. Hopefully they would spend sometime on the false hits.

I filed FOIPA request with FBI and it came out "No records found". Also, my attorney said she is going to send me some info. about "10 print" FBI check. If that comes out clear also, then we are going to use these two as evidences while filing writ mandamus.

Hopefully things get cleared before filing mandamus, let's see !

Can you find out from your lawyer what is the info about "10 print" FBI check.My lawyer would be back next week. I will talk to him and probably if writ mandamus is the only way to force them to do their work. Then probably we should do that.

How long does it take for the FOIPA request to be answered?

Definitely, I will let you know about 10 orint FBI check. FOIPA takes 7-10 days.

On a separate note, I am not sure if I posted this link before. It has detailed info about a "real" writ mandamus cases from the past. This website clearly indicates that CIS folks just don't care to work on your case until they are forced to do so thru mandamus action.

http://dv.semper-ante.com/

Thanks. I did send an foipa request today.As soon as my company lawyer returns I will talk to him. I got a question for you.Did you get anything from the uscis yet abt the status of your case?

Hi Kishore,

Sorry I couldnt get back earlier.Use this as a template.Fax this to the number that is available under the address.

To:

David M. Hardy, Chief
Record/Information Dissemination Section
Federal Bureau of Investigation
935 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20535
Fax: (202) 324-3752

Sub: PRIVACY ACT REQUEST

Dear Mr. Hardy:
Under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. section 552 and the Privacy Act, 5 U.S.C. section 552a, please furnish me with copies of all records about me indexed to my name or my identifying information, maintained in the Central Records System (CRS).

To help identify information about me in your records systems and/or programs, I am providing the following identifying information:

Full Name: XXX
Date of Birth: XXX
Place of Birth: XXX
Social Security Number: XXXXXX
Current Address
Home Phone Number:

If you have any questions about handling this request, you may call me at my mobile number XXXXXXX (day or evenings). Please respond to:

[Address]

Sincerely,

(Name)

Pursuant to 28 U.S.C. 1746, I certify under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct and that I am requesting release of my records to myself.

Executed on [date].

(Signature)