Horrible Landing experience!!

Vishwanand

Registered Users (C)
I landed yesterday sep 22 passing through Rainbow bridge. The immigration person was rude from the begining. She asked for an address in Canada. I gave Jenny's address @sunnynewmover since I did not know anyone. She started asking how I knew her ,if I had met her personally, if I was giving her any money? Then she said it is almost illegal to do that. She started asking me about when I will move in completely. I said I will be here for a week since I am only here for job interviews and I will move within 2-3 months. She started asking me whether i had given notice at my job and to the apartement. She said since i did not have any "concrete" plans to move within the next few weeks i should not land!! She actually refused to land me for the first hour!! Then she said last week they did not let someone enter US back since he was in Canada only for a week. She said "I dont know if they will let you back in, do you still want to land"? After a lot of harassment I finally landed. She said they would not mail my PR card to the address but I have to come along with my wife and son and personally collect it in Toronto. She also took my address in US and I saw her writing a letter to some one about me. By the time I came out it had taken two gruelling hours.

My question to the experts is this. I am posting this from a public library in Toronto. I have a multiple entry for H1 visa from US stamped on my passport. Will i have any problems getting back to the US? What are my options if they refuse entry? why will they refuse it? What can I do about my pr card?

Thanks any help will be appreciated

I will keep you posted on my saga of miseries but for now can anyone please advise me? thanks

Vishwanand

Don't worry

I don't think you need to worry about returning USA, because they dont ask you about your status in Canada, even if they ask you can tell them that you are returning back to USA. Everything is legal.
I entered USA with H! visa couple times without any problems.
Once you landed you have right to stay 3 years outside the Canada. I dont think that anyone can discuss that. Just say you will return soon to Canada.

Vishwanand,
Sorry to hear about you landing EXp.

1 Do not worry about PR card, it can be filled in Canada and collected latter.
2 I do not see any problem for you entring to US as you have valid H1B, INS is not going to refuse you becase you landed as Canada PR, US INS has nothing to do with Canada PR.

INS is not concerned what she wrote on you or regarding Canada landing.

You can come by land border post or can take a flight from Toronto to US, if you fly by air then you will face INS before departure to US, there are 4-5 lines do not go to OLD INS officer he some time gives new I-94 but other young INS officers just look at your H1B visa, I-94 and ask what you do in US and allow you to go to take the flight.
Good Luck !!!

Sad experience

Vishwanand,

Sorry hear that....sometimes you wonder what these immigration officers are thinking. She was definitely acting like a jerk. And who in world gives her authority to dictate your return to U.S.

You know some of them act like God. I hope they start hiring people with some brain and college degree not just GED. She had no right to treat you the way she did....I hope there are some good people out there, which may restore your faith in U.S. and Canadian Immigration.

Please share rest of your experience with us. It may help others to prepare themselves better .

Good luck with rest of journey.

RamFan

Thanks for the information man. Dont worry nothing will happen.
God is there he will take care of us

good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Dont Worry - Santhosh

Vishwanad,

As a couple of them have pointed out, you have nothing to worry about re-entering US.

It is of no one's concern, except for INS, how, where and when you enter US.

As long as you have a valid multiple entry, things should not matter.

Sometimes, the inital experience will leave a bitter taste in your mouth. Relax and enjoy.

Keep your US immigration attorney's phone number handy, in case you need it.

As far as the Canadian PR, don't worry, you can collect it at a later time from the office.

As long as you have the IMM8 stamp on your passport, it should be of no concern.

Also, there is nothing illegal about hiring someone to look for a place to stay or to help you find a job. Hey, they are called real estate brokers or headhunters in USA and am sure that the lady has used a couple herself to begin with.

Think of it this way, you have landed there and you have a valid H1 to get back. So whats the issue? Some lady gave you a hard time? Dont worry, relax.

Also, email me (office) with your contact number and I will call you.

Santhosh

Thanks everybody for your input

I want to thank you guys for your input. I called my immigration lawyer and told him the situation. He said as long as I have the stamp on the pasport I should be fine, but as an additional support he is overnighting my H1 papers to me. He also asked me to get a letter from my employer stating that I am employed and have gone there for vacation. So I contacted my Boss and am trying to get that letter overnighted to me. I was also thinking of coming back on Saturday but preponing it a day so that if something goes wrong the lawyer and my Boss are available to be contacted. I am also planning to use peace bridge instead of Rainbow bridge (not that I know it is any better it is just that Rainbow bridge has left a bad taste in my mouth). Is there anything else I can do?

I was planning to do some sight seeing but now I have this hanging over my head. I am crossing my fingers!!

Vishwanand

Letter of Employment

Vishwanad,

You are doing the right thing by collecting your documents - such as Letter of Employment and other H1 papers. You should have had these before you left, but better late than never.

If you prefer, use the PEACE bridge - it might relax you.

Also, never look serious or nervous when you enter the immigration counter/building. Be cheerful and take your son to the counter.

Am sure that looking at AP, anyone in anymood will calm down. He is such a cutie.

Enjoy your interviews and good luck.

Let me know where you are put up so that we can call you.

Santhosh

Hi friends,

I am in US on a H1, actually changed my status from a B1 to H1 therefore doesn't have the H1 stamp on my passport.

Now I got the Candian PR, thinking to go to Canada to give landing, but afraid that they may not allow me to re-enter US since I dont have a H1 visa on my passport.

Please help me with the following questions:

1. Can I re-enter the US as a Canadian PR with an approved I-797 and a valid I-94 without having H1 visa.

2. Do you think it would be trouble if I plan to come back to US after a week of landing.

I really appreciate you comments.

Thanks

Atten: Abbasi

Abbasi,

Please read thread "trip to Canada without Advance Parole" under I-485 discussion. We are discussing the same issue for weeks. You will find answer for all your questions.

Sincerely,

RamFan

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. For reliable advice, consult a lawyer.

PR card problem

Vishwanand,
I feel you will not have any problem re-entering US, but what if they stop you from re-entering Canada without PR card? Since you are planning to come out of Canada without PR card and re-enter to collect it from CIC office, get it clarified now from CIC whether you can re-enter Canada to collect PR card.

phew!! I am in the US!!

We passed through the peace bridge at about 12 'O' clock on Friday. The INS officer spent about 2 minutes with us. He probably spent about 5 seconds looking at our visas. Rest of the time he was busy asking us if we had brought any fruits and vegetables with us. (I guess he was doing both INS and customs work!! i dont know). Then he motioned us inside the country.... and we breathed a huge sigh of relief!!!!

I would suggest any new entrants to take our experience and learn whatever would be useful for you. I have not become an expert with one experience and so I can not really give any specific advise. Not all experiences and situations are going to be the same. Just because I had such an experience does not mean everyone will have the same experience. Make sure you anticipate the questions and be prepared to answer them.

My question to the experts is this

How do I get the PR card mailed to me? Is there an address or web site I should contact? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

I want to thank one more time the people who responded to me before. I appreciate it

Vishwanand

Congragulations, its really a big relief. My understanding about PR card is that for the new entrants they are mailing the PR card to your address in canada. I am not an experts but thats what the interviewing officer told me at the time of interview.

Vishwanand

Great relief that you were back into US after such a horrible initial experience, and thanks for sharing it on this forum. Is it possible to rent a Car on the US side and return it once you are in Canada? Or you drove by your own Car. Did the INS officials see your passport ? What if they look at the stamped Visa for Canada Landing? Please let me know.

Thanks
hmnpa

Hi Ramfan I went by car. sorry for the delay in reply

Hi hmnpa yes it should be possible to rent in us and return in canada. check with car rental companies. I checked for trucks and they said it was ok. The INS officer did look at my passport. He did not notice/care to notice that I had a canandian landing document attached to the passport. good luck

Vishwanand

Hi Viswanand,

Just wondering, Can you reenter canada on the same landing papers again or you need to have PR card to renter again?

Inder

Hi Jalma sorry for the delay. yes i think you can enter on the basis of the landing documents. I have my landing documents with me and no pr card. the immigration person said i will have to go there and collect it. the implication i think is that the next time i enter that country i will only have landing documents with me. i think you can not go by air, train or by bus. you should go by car. again i am not an expert. you can try www.cic.ca and see if they can give you some answers. if you do find answers post it here so everybody will know

bye

Vishwanand