Hiring Nanny for Kids

sick_of_waiting

Registered Users (C)
I have a serious question. My wife is on H4. Can my wife take care of my 2 kids or do I need to hire a full time nanny for them? With my wife taking care of my kids, isn't she taking up the job of a US worker?

Thanks.

As long as there is no remuneration involved there is no employment relationship. Therefore, NO, she is not taking a US worker's job. Plus the fact that she is either the mom or step-mom makes it clear that is not a job but her shared obligation with you.

If you are still wanting to hire a nanny, you can do so here or you can even bring yours from your home country on a B-1 visa by drafting a domestic employment agreement. She will get the B-1 visa at the US consulate with an annotation that she is your domestic employee. Once in the US, she needs to file I-765 and obtain work permit before getting paid. Good luck!

TRUE, thats why I said "you can bring yours from your home country". Maybe I should have been more specific.

Unfortunately, my wife refuses to be free caretaker of my kids (which are her kids too). Nobody from my household back home is willing to come all the way to the US to take care of my kids. So a remuneration is involved (at the rate a nanny gets paid here). Does that mean I can not pay her to take care of "our" kids? If I pay her, I'm afraid I'll be breaking the law by "paying" a non-immigrant to do a citizen's job.

Thanks for your assistance.

jetector said:
As long as there is no remuneration involved there is no employment relationship. Therefore, NO, she is not taking a US worker's job. Plus the fact that she is either the mom or step-mom makes it clear that is not a job but her shared obligation with you.

If you are still wanting to hire a nanny, you can do so here or you can even bring yours from your home country on a B-1 visa by drafting a domestic employment agreement. She will get the B-1 visa at the US consulate with an annotation that she is your domestic employee. Once in the US, she needs to file I-765 and obtain work permit before getting paid. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
You will not be breaking the law because it's a person receiving money from her own husband, who supposedly should have commingly assets (unless you hold a pre-nup agreement), for something that it's not a job but her OBLIGATION... or maybe you just need a new wife who would take care of her children like any other good mother should....

Originally Posted by jetector
You will not be breaking the law because it's a person receiving money from her own husband, who supposedly should have commingly assets (unless you hold a pre-nup agreement), for something that it's not a job but her OBLIGATION... or maybe you just need a new wife who would take care of her children like any other good mother should....

Originally Posted by JoeF
People have been denied visitor visas for watching their daughter's children. People on visitor visas have gotten into trouble helping friends paint their house. These things are work because if these people wouldn't help, somebody would get hired to do the job.

Someone stated above that people have been denied visas for watching their daughter’s children if these people wouldn’t help, somebody would get hired to do the job. This is the same reasoning I am trying to understand here, if my wife does not take care of our kids, then we would have to hire a US citizen to take care of them, she would thus be denying a US citizen an opportunity to take care of our kids. It is not her obligation to take care of our kids but it is my obligation to provide for my kids and arrange for their proper upbringing. My wife does her part of taking care of them but since I work, she wants to be compensated for the part I am unable to do due to my job…and she is a good mother.

JoeF said:
Huh? That's what parents, i.e., father and mother, do. So, what's your problem, exactly?

Again...please don't get personal here. You don't HAVE to reply to my messages.

She does her part for free but when she takes care of my "obligations" she wants to be compensated...

Amazing that in another thread you suggest that a non-immigrant visa can be denied because without that non-immigrant person a US citizen could be hired to do the job (the example you cited was about a mother who wanted to take care of her pregnant daughter)...you sound totally unreliable!

JoeF said:
Again, it is not personal.
But, you are trying to argue somethign that is completely ridiculous.
Parents care for their children. Period. End of story. There is nothing to discuss about legality.

Nobody is forcing you to discuss it here...

To be frank, if somebody in a marriage wants to be "compensated" for something, it would be time for marriage counseling...

...and I guess you are expert in marriage counselling too. :)

Oh, and for a mother helping her pregnant daughter, it is work, and the mother is of course not part of the marriage... So, again, think before posting...

The mother is part of HER marriage and has the obligation to take care of HER daughter.

BTW, my wife cut my hair today and I gave her $15. Is it legal for me to do that or you believe that it is creative enough to escape immigration's scrutiny...;)

JoeF said:
Not of an adult daughter, you moron.
Get lost!
PLONK!

Hey, this is my thread...you don't have to respond to my posts...YOU GET LOST! IDIOT! :D

According to this yahoo, marriage ends when ones' kids grow up... :eek: man...leave your computer for a few minutes and find out how life is in reality...I never thought that people like you existed but they certainly do...on internet message boards giving bogus advice to people and changing their stances with every post. You are totally unreliable and moronic...

JoeF said:
You are obviously a very sick person.
I was talking about caring for minor children, you moron.
What an idiot. How come such people are allowed to immigrate...

You digress from the actual topic of discussion by hurling insulting remarks at me. I have told you before that you don't have to respond to my messages but apparantly you think of yourself as the godfather of this message board.

I only asked some clarification on this issue, you conveyed your point (btw what is it...it changes from thread to thread), what is the problem now? What do you expect me to do? You made an idiotic point and I refused to agree with you...why has this put you in emotional turmoil?

Apparantly you have nothing better to do on a weekend...man, get a life...enjoy your weekend...go out...go to the mall...talk to your partner if you have one and relax.

JoeF said:
Pot calling the kettle black, eh?
You post complete and utter BS here, stuff that would get people in danger. That's why you are a moron and complete idiot.
No, you haven't "asked for clarification", you have stated complete and utter crap, misrepresenting what I have said, and trying to start a flame war. Get a life, idiot.

Oh, and nobody in the world has a business-like relationship (paying for things) in a real marriage. So, either you are lying about this "paying for child caring" or your marriage is fake. Take your pick.

:D :D :D This must be an exciting weekend for you in your dull life...refreshing the webpage every few minutes...fingers shaking with anger while typing your insults...sweat dripping from your forehead...it must be hard...trying to come up with a logical response but instead seeing your fingers typing insults and illogical responses...what a nerd!