• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Here's a reason for the DV Lottery - USA has 5.7 million job openings

Dual_Citizen

According to an article on CNN Money, the USA is at "full employment" and many jobs can't find enough people. Currently there are 5.7 million job openings in the USA, for skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled labor. Truck drivers are earning US$75,000 per year, and plumbers can expect $100,000 per year.

According to an article on CNN Money, the USA is at "full employment" and many jobs can't find enough people. Currently there are 5.7 million job openings in the USA, for skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled labor. Truck drivers are earning US$75,000 per year, and plumbers can expect $100,000 per year.

There are a number of misquotes in your comments. Perhaps giving the link would have been better (link below). Andno, this is not "a reason for the DV lottery". The lottery has been in place for many years and is intended to address diversity, not labor shortages.

And no, plumbers should not "expect" $100k.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/09/news/economy/america-5-6-million-record-job-openings/

I think you would benefit from following US Presidential Elections and watching some of the ongoing debates (Democratic and/or Republican) related to immigration reform...

I think you would benefit from following US Presidential Elections and watching some of the ongoing debates (Democratic and/or Republican) related to immigration reform...

You must be kidding Euro! If you want sensible ideas on the US immigration reform - the very last place you should look is the debates (where all you hear is 30 second BS soundbites with no common sense to them).

You must be kidding Euro! If you want sensible ideas on the US immigration reform - the very last place you should look is the debates (where all you hear is 30 second BS soundbites with no common sense to them).
Well, Britsimon, this is right where the next President of the U, S of A is being chosen by the average American citizen. I am sure you don't doubt the validity of our political system... :)

I do not know about you. But I for Trump!!! :)He even closes the lottery and will let smart people, and not random.

To anybody looking at the OP: be very, very careful when assessing your chances at such well-paid work. The opportunities are there, but it's not easy.

The US is very tough on people who arrive with no money. And part of the 'anti-establishment' theme of the current presidential cycle stems from stagnant wages.

Regarding Trump and canning the DV: I'll be supporting politicians who are in favour of keeping the DV lottery as soon as I qualify for citizenship. The US immigration system has many problems, but the DV is not one of them.

lololol 100,000$ ? i don't even think doctors and engineers make that much as a starting salary :D.

lololol 100,000$ ? i don't even think doctors and engineers make that much as a starting salary :D.

Yes they can - but the point is it varies by area - so the "expectation" of a plumber earning $100k is incorrect. Some do - but not all and only in certain areas.

Among the Russian, who love and want in the United States. Most people think that they will be there to get more 100,000 a year :D When they say it's not true, they throw themselves with insults. The most interesting among them are those who live in the United States. ha ha