Hepatitis-B positive (in medical test for I-485), please advise

pd_venky

I am in tough situation in my medical test, please advise:

My priority date is current now and I am going through the medical test. I approached the USCIS AUTHORIZED doctor and she did TB test and blood test for HIV/Syphilis etc. Everything looks fine (I mean, tests are negative) up to this point. Coming to immunization shots, she told me that I can take them at my primary care physician (paid by insurance). My primary care physician again did blood test to know immunity levels and noticed that I am positive for Hepatitis-B. Now my primary care physician told me that it will take couple weeks to examine further.

I did not talk to USCIS AUTHORIZED doctor about my situation yet. At this juncture, I have following questions:

1) What is the impact of having Hepatitis-B on I-485? Is it must to have negative Hepatitis-B for applying I485?

2) I think, I still can go to USCIS AUTHORIZED doctor by hiding my Hepatitis-B situation and take shots and submit the medical reports. If I do this, am I doing any thing illegal here?

3) I was told by immigration lawyer that I need to file my case by this month end. What will happen if I don’t file by this month end? Can I apply this later on?

Deeply appriciated for help on giving suggestions,

Thanks,
-pd

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I am not an expert AT ALL, so take all this with a grain of salt.

BUT prior to getting my medical, I had some tests done for another reason, and I had a positive Hep C test, so I started looking in to some of this. I was convinced I'd be deported/refused my GC. Luckily for me, it turned out to be a false positive as the subsequent tests were negative, but I was so worried for a while there. So I know a little bit of what you are going through.

What I found was that neither Hep B or Hep C were included in the lists of tests on the I-693 form that are required to be negative. And even then, if you have a positive, like TB, you can be signed off as getting treatment.

So your hepatitis status should have no effect on whether the USCIS doctor can complete the form. Also, on the vaccination supplement, they can just sign that they recommend you get certain vaccinations, such as Hep B. They are not required to provide proof that you actually got the vaccination or did any follow up with any other doctor. In fact, my USCIS doctor said that I don't need Hep B vaccine unless I work in the medical field or come into contact with at risk populations, so he didn't even recommend it for me. I didn't tell him about the Hep C scare!

I would say maybe speak to the USCIS doctor and find out what the holdup on the form is. Maybe just explain what is going on and see if they can help you out with getting the form early. Hopefully they will be understanding and clear you.

OK, I am not an expert AT ALL, so take all this with a grain of salt.

BUT prior to getting my medical, I had some tests done for another reason, and I had a positive Hep C test, so I started looking in to some of this. I was convinced I'd be deported/refused my GC. Luckily for me, it turned out to be a false positive as the subsequent tests were negative, but I was so worried for a while there. So I know a little bit of what you are going through.

What I found was that neither Hep B or Hep C were included in the lists of tests on the I-693 form that are required to be negative. And even then, if you have a positive, like TB, you can be signed off as getting treatment.

So your hepatitis status should have no effect on whether the USCIS doctor can complete the form. Also, on the vaccination supplement, they can just sign that they recommend you get certain vaccinations, such as Hep B. They are not required to provide proof that you actually got the vaccination or did any follow up with any other doctor. In fact, my USCIS doctor said that I don't need Hep B vaccine unless I work in the medical field or come into contact with at risk populations, so he didn't even recommend it for me. I didn't tell him about the Hep C scare!

I would say maybe speak to the USCIS doctor and find out what the holdup on the form is. Maybe just explain what is going on and see if they can help you out with getting the form early. Hopefully they will be understanding and clear you.

Friend of mine exactly had same concern when he was filling 485. He knew that he had Hep C and was on medication. But he did not hide it and he got GC couple of years ago.

Thanks for all who have replied. it is really useful. Others, please share if you have any such experience.

Thanks to all,
pd

Hi Pd_Venky,

As I know, doctor office in different states have different Immunization requirements. The best is to call before you go and if possible, try to get a copy of form I-693.

Vagcwaiting
(I post what I know, Take it or leave it.)

Hi Pd_venky,
How do you responded to in your I-485 filing? Are you able to get a waiver for vaccination ? would you please your experience? I am in similar boat.

thanks,
nyan