help

venkathari

Registered Users (C)
hello,
I'm in a very complicated position. I came to US in 2002 January in F1 visa to do a Masters. Now(March 2004), due to some problems with my professor I wasn't able to graduate and my I20 expired on March 31st 2004(he did not let me apply my OPT either). Now I'm in 60 days grace period.
Is there anyway I can see some consultant and try to get a H1B(within this 60 days) or is it a must that I should leave the country.
And even if I apply for H1B and get it sanctioned, it is only gonna start by October 2004. Until that time(6 months from now), can I just like that stay in US(legally)? or is it illegal?
Can I apply for some other school and get an I20 now and stay here or do I've to leave the country and get back?
It would be of great help if you could answer this question.
Thanks
Hari

Dont worry...

Hari,

I think your best bet is to go back to school right now ...at the same time look for some desi consultancy and apply for H1 that starts from Oct 1. If you think you dont get any I20's as of now, try looking for small schools or community colleges where you can get an I20 very soon. I think this is what I wll do i am in your shoes...

hello nizaam,
thanks a lot for the reply.
well.know what? I applied for another school and got I20. But they also sai, I've to leave the country and come back with the new I20. I'm just worried about leaving and coming back. I've my F1 visa valid until Jan 2007. SO, would there be any problem entering the US with new I20?
Hari

Hi

I think you have to go thru the same stuff again. The best bet is, apply for a H1 that starts in October and go back to India (after the grace period) for stamping. you need a valid reason for going back to US embassy for your F1 visa again and you will be good when you go for your H1 stamping.

this is safe compared to comming on F1 w.r.t US Embassy in India is concerned.

You might want to talk to an attorney and ask him about this...