Help!! Wife wants to declare bankruptcy

bolapr

Registered Users (C)
hello bade miyas - my wife just told me she is planning to file bankruptcy even before filing my applications. She is my primary sponsor and I'm worried if and how this is going to affect my immigration process. What should I do? help ...very worried :eek::confused:

Get a second sponsor!

Well if my wifes income is above the 125% poverty level how is she not qualified as a sponsor? Thats the only criteria that I-864 instructions is particular about getting a second sponsor. Can someone point out where it says if sponsor is declaring bankruptcy you need a second sponsor?

I don't quite remember, but does it ask about bankruptcy anywhere on sponsor's form? If not, then nothing to worry about. If yes, well I don't know then. :) But even if yes, you can still file everything, in worst scenario they issue RFE.

I don't quite remember, but does it ask about bankruptcy anywhere on sponsor's form? If not, then nothing to worry about. If yes, well I don't know then. :) But even if yes, you can still file everything, in worst scenario they issue RFE.

Thanks kittenKat. No it does not ask about bankruptcy anywhere on sponsor's form. Just wanted to know if someone has gone through the same scenario before and how it affected their process.

The only thing is whether name check will bring up that. It's still a mystery for me what exactly "name check" means. But even in this case the worst case they issue RFE. So just relax and file ASAP (to get EAD).

OK. I know in the background check (for some jobs) they do check bankruptcy. But I guess name check is different.

hey bolapr,
i have the same problem here except that i'm not even married yet. we plan to marry in july, and my future wife wants to file bankruptcy before we get married to protect me from being harrassed by her creditors (student loan, credit cards etc... long story), which make me sweat.
anyway, i also am wondering to which extent the immigration officers may eventually pull out her bankruptcy information when reviewing the AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT she'll file for me once we're married so I can get a GC. she has a decent salary (above 125% poverty line) yet is incapable of reimbursing the gigantic debt she's collected over years. her lawyer says she will be granted bankruptcy, but is it smart to do it before we marry?
Did you finally file your Affidavit of Support? Did you get any information about that? How long ago did you marry? Do you think I should marry first or should my future wife first file for bankruptcy? It's like a dog eating its own tail, and we don't know what to do...

Last edited by a moderator:
Your wife should not file bancruptcy as she need to prove to immigration that she can support your stay in the US....

If she does, her petition to you might get denied.