Help Requested. Urgent. Please Please respond

SatPal

Registered Users (C)
People,
I have all documents ready for OCI +Renunciation with photos, fees etc for me and my family. I had a intention to send all documents on 11/04/2010 to Indian Embassy,Washington DC.
I got a call from India that my mother is diagnosed with Liver Cancer and she does not have time to survive. Maximum, 2 months. I need to rush to India and spend some time with her, come back to US and get ready to rush back again once the bad news arrives.....
I am not sure as to how to and what is the right approach to get Visa from Indian Embassy. My question is - Do I send me OCI + Renunciation package right away and try for emergency visa coming week or I do not submit OCI+ Renunciation package right now and try to get emergency visa right away. I will ask my brother to send me fax or scanned copy from Doctor describing emergency reason.

I am already upset on this bad news and Indian Visa is frustrating me.. I am sick and tired.

Please some one out here address this issue.

Thanks in advance..
SatPal

Sorry to learn about your situation. here is link to getting emergency visa. Please note that per this link below, you have to submit emergency visa application in person; not by mail.

http://www.indianembassy.org/visa.php

"Emergency Services are granted to persons of Indian origin only, between 11am and 1pm in case of a genuine emergency like death or illness of a blood relation, subject to production of proof and confirmed air ticket. In case visa is applied at the counter after 12.30 pm ,an emergency charge of USD $35 is levied for issue of visa on the same day. " Please read the link for more details.
You should be able to submit OCI application and get emergency visa to travel immediately.

Satpal, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom.
The best thing I recommend is to do
a) Go personally to DC, get the SC + Emergency Visa.
B) Once you have SC, just apply for the OCI (You don't have to send anything original so even if the processing takes 3 months, you will still have a Visa to travel back and forth, and if OCI is processed early, than you can get it stamped when you can)

SatPal,
Not sure if you are already working on this......

Very sorry to hear about the news. Our prayers for your family and your Mom's health. I had a similar situation and almost booked my ticket a couple of months ago and it is very stressful to get things organized.

Like many others have opined, it is best if you go in person to the embassy for the paperwork. Here is what I did.

0. Got a letter from the Doctor in India about the medical situation and that my presence is required with the family to help my Dad. This was faxed (eFax) and had a few copies with me.

1. Booked an appointment with the Travisa service for Entry Visa. Make sure you select In-Person submission for the visa appointment. Please refer to the following links. I did this for self and spouse. Kid had PIO.
http://www.indianembassy.org/visa.php
https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/homepage

2. Prepared required documents for cancelling/renunciation of Indian passport/citizenship.

3. Went in person to the Travisa office in DC in the morning at our appointment time. Good thing about this office is that they accept cash and you don't have to worry about the different Cashier Check/Money order denominations.

4. Handed over the documents to them and mentioned that I needed an emergency visa. Provide them the doctor's letter and have the copies attached to each application. They will collect an extra $35.00 per applicant for this.

5. In 15 to 30 minutes, they will prepare their file and give it to you with a USB Thumb Drive and papers that you should take with you to the 2536 Massachusets Ave (Consular Wing office). Best to take a Cab from there to the 2536 Mass Ave office. If Cabbie is not sure, mention Islamic Center in "Mass Ave and Belmont Rd"

6. Go to the basement counter and hand it over to the person in the counter. DO NOT PICK A TOKEN AND WAIT FOR YOUR TURN. They are understanding for this situation and will accept your paper bundle as they know it when they see the package from Travisa.

7. You should get the SC Certificate, Cancelled Indian PP and US PP with the Entry Visa stamped in 30 minutes or so.

8. In some cases, if you do not make it to the Consular wing before 12:00 or 12:30, the basement counter is closed. Go to the main floor and then submit the papers to the folks there. They will take this and give you the needed visa and other documents (SC, Cancelled Indian PP).

9. As you already have the OCI Packets readily available, you can submit them with the SC that you just got from the Entry Visa process.

10. While you are handling the quick trip and logistics, the OCI should be processing the back-end.

Best regards and Stay strong

Thanks Folks,
A big thanks to GC4us. I followed your instructions line by line and got emegency VISA. It was hectic but smooth. Thanks! I can reserve my ticket and spend time with my Mom.
A small question - I would apply for OCI before I leave for India.
I understand I have to do the following for OCI packge:
1. Photo copy first and last page from Indian Passport as the passport has been cancelled and stamped cancelled.
2. Take 3rd page copy of American passport (Visa stamped)
3. With draw $175 cashier check from my package and renuniciation form as it has already been accomplished.
4. Add notorized surrender certifiacte to the package
5. Remove Indian passport from the package
6. Update covering letter.

Please confirm if I am all set.... Do we need to notorize Surrender Certificate?
Also, do I need to send a photo as I have already used two photos from my OCI package on emergency visa (travisa outsourcing)? Two photo's are already affixed on two different sets of OCI application?

Plaese respond.
Thanks in advance
~Satpal

Hi Satpal,
Glad our feedback was helpful.
In general, I have provided first three and last three pages of the passports (Indian, US) as they contain name, address, endorsements et al.
Don't worry about the stamped page in the US PP. The presence of entry visa in the US PP has nothing to do with the OCI application.
You can withdrawy the $175.00 and encash it from the bank at the earliest. They should cancel it.
If you have easy access to a notary, it does not hurt to notarize the SC.
Remove the original Indian PP.
Update the cover letter.
Provide the $20.00 Mailing fee.
If you are sending applications for kids, do add the parent's documents separately to their application packet.

I would still send additional 2 or 3 extra photos for the application as the entry visa process and OCI processing are two different workflows. If you have some extra time, view the following links about my ordeal with photos and OCI after getting the Entry Visa done successfully:(:(

http://forums.immigration.com/showth...15#post2215315
http://forums.immigration.com/showth...10#post2219610

When it comes to your logistics with the Return2India planning, please visit
http://www.r2iclubforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/21-Things-Packing-Shipping
http://www.r2iclubforums.com/forums/forum.php

Good luck,