Help needed regarding J1

dipjyoti

Hi, I am an engineering student. I am planning to go to US in the forthcoming summer vacation for a project work. If I take a J1 visa then I would have a two year home rule, which I am not yet sure. But the thing is that next year I may go to US as a full time graduate student, for which I will need F1 visa, so If I take J1 visa,can I apply for F1 visa next year. I dont know how to get a waiver for the J1 visa in my case. So. please advise me in this regard.

Hi dipjyoti,

I think you have no problem.
1. F1 visa is not an immigrant visa. So, People with J1 HRR is eligible for F1 visa. My F1 visa advisor told me so. You even don't need to get a waiver.

2. Your stay under J1 will be only summer. You have a big chance to get a waiver if you apply for. My visa advisor told me that the J1 host institute is more likely to give away no objection letter for a short time J1 person, such as 3 months program. You may contact to the officer of the summer program about this and explain your concern. You may simply want to get a waiver for your future (after F1). To apply for J1 HRR waiver, you may need the reason to apply (J1 HRR is bothering you). Since J1 HRR will not bother your F1 visa acquisition, you may have no reason to apply for a waiver yet.

3. You will complete your J1 HRR by the time you finish your graduate school. You will be in your country for a year after the summer program. This will be counted as 1 year for your J1 HRR. Then you go to US for your graduate study under F1. You will go back to you country for summer vacation, a semester for data collection, a semester for intership, or two 2 semesters for writing up thesis. These are all counted for your J1 HRR. The home country residensy after J1 (even you are on F1) will be counted for HRR.

I got these information last year. There maybe some changes or I might have misunderstood some parts. I recommend you to check the information with your summer program officer.

Hi, I am an engineering student. I am planning to do a project in US in the field of nanoscience in the forthcoming summer. How much time it will take to get a J1 visa? As I have very short time, I have to start the application procedure as soon as possible. I am planning to go to US in May. Would it be illegal if I take a visitor visa to do the project work? I am doing an unpaid internship from May to July. Would I be able to apply for a F1 visa next year and H1 visa after competing my MS in US?