Help Needed N-400 Withdrawal

spmunuku

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gurus,

After all the research, I want to withdraw my application. How can I do it? I have lot of agricultural land back in my home country and I was informed that I got loose all If i become USC.

Any Ideas?

Not unless there was something you disclosed that would affect your GC status. A regular withdrawal would not have any effects on your GC.

Your country does not accept dual citizenship? If they do, then you may not lose all your land if you become a US Citizen.

Hi Gurus,

After all the research, I want to withdraw my application. How can I do it?

I have lot of agricultural land back in my home country and I was informed that I got loose all If i become USC.
---------------------- not correct If you are from India and you have Agricultural land on your name before you become US citizen or Inherited that land from your father, grandfather then you are not going to loose that Agricultural land. NRI or US citizen can’t buy Agricultural land according to RBI or FEMA rule but many keep on buying agricultural land as the registrar or sub registrar or Tehsildar don’t ask for your passport at the time of registration and don’t know much about RBI/Fema rule.
Any Ideas?

--------------
http://www.femaonline.com/index.htm
http://www.femaonline.com/nricorner/immovable_prop.htm

RBI FAQ
http://www.rbi.org.in/scripts/FAQView.aspx?Id=33

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gurus,

After all the research, I want to withdraw my application. How can I do it?

You can call the 1800 number and just tell them you changed your mind and decided to withdraw your application, or send them a letter with all your info and ask them to withdraw.

hope that helps ;)

Can you own agricultural land as a corporate entity though?
-----------------------Not agricultural land but can purchase residential / commercial property in India

Q.8 Can an office of a foreign company purchase immovable property in India?

A.8. A foreign company which has established a Branch Office or other place of business in India, in accordance with FERA / FEMA regulations, can acquire any immovable property in India, which is necessary for or incidental to carrying on such activity. The payment for acquiring such a property should be made by way of foreign inward remittance through proper banking channel. A declaration in form IPI should be filed with Reserve Bank within ninety days from the date of acquiring the property. Such a property can also be mortgaged with an Authorised Dealer as a security for other borrowings. On winding up of the business, the sale proceeds of such property can be repatriated only with the prior approval of Reserve Bank. Further, acquisition of immovable property by entities who had set up Branch Offices in India and incorporated in Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, China, Iran, Nepal and Bhutan would require prior approval of Reserve Bank to acquire such immovable property. However, if the foreign company has established a Liaison Office, it can not acquire immovable property . In such cases, Liaison Offices, can take property by way of lease not exceeding 5 years.

----------------
V. Provisions for Foreign Embassies / Diplomats / Consulate Generals

Q.29. Can Foreign Embassies / Diplomats / Consulate General purchase / sell immovable property in India ?
A.29. Yes, Foreign Embassies / Diplomats / Consulate Generals can purchase and sell any immovable property other than agricultural land / plantation property / farm house in India with prior clearance from the Government of India, Ministry of External Affairs. The payment should be made by foreign inward remittance through normal banking channel.

Just a question - I am not Indian so I don't know how it works but how would the Indian gov. know that you have became a US citizen? :confused::confused:

Just a question - I am not Indian so I don't know how it works but how would the Indian gov. know that you have became a US citizen? :confused::confused:

Once you become US citizen and want to visit India then you need Visa or apply for PIO card(Person of India origin ) or OCI then Indian government knows that you have become US citizen and your Indian passport gets cancelled .

Once you become US citizen and want to visit India then you need Visa or apply for PIO card(Person of India origin ) or OCI then Indian government knows that you have become US citizen and your Indian passport gets cancelled .
I think nino77 is referring to a situation where you just go back to India using the Indian passport without telling the Indian government that you are a US citizen.

I think nino77 is referring to a situation where you just go back to India using the Indian passport without telling the Indian government that you are a US citizen.

Yep - I won't say a word if I were you. I will show my Indian passport in India and the US passport in the USA if I were you.

When you are at the Indian airport waiting to return to the US and you show your US passport.

Ok so why don't you just show them the Indian passport? if you have to show them visa/ green card - why dont you fly to another country then to the US from there?

I don't see a reason for the Indian gov. to know that you have became a US citizen. Its your business not theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you have to show them visa/ green card - why dont you fly to another country then to the US from there?
To avoid showing the US passport, you would have to get a flight to a country with its final stop in that country (not transiting onto the US). Using an Indian passport, in almost all cases that would require obtaining a visa. Obtaining that visa would require showing proof of residential ties and legal residence; it's going to be difficult to show credible ties to India if you've been living in the US for several years.

Sure, somebody who is cunning enough can find a way. But that is true for almost any violation of any law anywhere. Some people will get away with it, some will get caught, some think they get away until they're found out years later. It's kind of dumb to take that kind of risk when you have valuable property in India that the government can confiscate if they find out what youv'e done.
I don't see a reason for the Indian gov. to know that you have became a US citizen. Its your business not theirs.
They've made it their business, because they don't allow their citizens to obtain another citizenship and still keep Indian citizenship. And there are legitimate reasons for having that rule, as dual citizens can face potential conflicts of interest that could hurt the interests of one country or both.

If you enter India with your Indian passport and try to leave with a US passport, you will certainly be caught. Indian immigration keeps track of all people who enter/exit and your name will show up on their system as an anomaly when you try to leave (the immigration form you fill out on arrival in india has all the necessary details). Moreover you won't have a entry stamp in your US passport which also can raise red flags. Fradulent and unauthorized use of Indian passport is a serious offense punishable by jail time.

Yep - I won't say a word if I were you. I will show my Indian passport in India and the US passport in the USA if I were you.
It is illegal to use an Indian passport if you have a US passport.

It is their business since India does not allow dual citizenship.

If you enter India with your Indian passport and try to leave with a US passport, you will certainly be caught. Indian immigration keeps track of all people who enter/exit and your name will show up on their system as an anomaly when you try to leave (the immigration form you fill out on arrival in india has all the necessary details). Moreover you won't have a entry stamp in your US passport which also can raise red flags. Fradulent and unauthorized use of Indian passport is a serious offense punishable by jail time.

Exactly right. In India your passport is thoroughly examined upon entry and exit. If you enter with an Indian, the will put you in the system and check for Visa's (from where you are coming) and put an entry stamp, and even check for the last exit stamp. When you leave on a US passport they will look for an entry stamp to see how long you stayed (and that will be missing). If you leave on an Indian passport they will look for a US visa, which you cannot obtain as a citizen. Dual citizenship with India will not work...and I am sure no one has successfully pulled it off

What stage of the process are you in? When they send out the fingerprint/IL wont they tell u that if you miss the date the application will be 'abandoned'..

unless you want a refund from USCIS...