Help!! Moving from US to Canada.

JaiJawan

Registered Users (C)
Hello Canada experts,
I plan to move to canada for good sometime next month. Been in US for about 5 years and it looks daunting having to move to canada.
The website posted by Vjy for johnj namely http://www.canadatotwincities.com/ is extremely useful for people coming from Canada to US.
I only wish there was something like that for people moving from US to canada.
1) I have been told that all my credit history/credit cards in US will come to nought in canada. I hate to start from the bottom again.
2) Also, no one i have met gives me a clear picture of a good cellplan in canada with maximum whenever minutes.

any views?

"A Frustrated Jawan" :confused:

The move may be daunting, but certainly not extremely stressful depending on how far the move is.

Your credit history will be useful, though your credit cards may not if you want a canadian address on your billing statements. I moved to Canada from the US and bought a total of three real estate properties in about a year in Canada using the US credit history. I maintain a PO box in the US and I have all my US credit cards directed there and still use the US cards in Canada.

Also, I called a credit card company that also issues cards in Canada (ex: Citibank, MBNA, etc) and applied for a credit card by explaining that I have the same card under the US account. They approved me in minutes with a substantial credit limit.

For cell plans, try www.bell.ca, www.sprint.ca or www.rogers.ca.

I can provide more info if your move is to Windsor, ON. Good luck.

JJ,

When I migrated to Canada, I had the same issue. I was able to open a checking, saving and a US Dollar acount with CIBC. I waited for about 6 months, called the service center, and told them that I would like to open a credit card account (VISA). At the same time I also applied for a TD Visa. TD Visa was denied because I didn't have any credit history, and they advised me to get a co-signer. I call CIBC and asked them the status on my VISA application. I was asked to fax in proof of employment/income (paycheck), and I was approved. I used this card for 6 months, and was able to get a credit line increase, was able to open a line of credit accounts with SCOTIA, CIBC.

As Dipmple stated, it is really not that bad. There are issuers, who are willing to open credit card accounts fer you provided you can show proff of income/employment.

I have cell plan through ROGERS. When I am in Canada, I use the SIM card issued by rogers, and when I am in the US (working) I change the SIM card to T-Mobile, that way I don't pay roaming charges :).

Good Luck!!

Thanks Fellas

Thank you Dimple2001 and Vault,
I appreciate your feedback very much.
I think i will callup the credit card companies in canada and tell them about my US history and see if it helps

My work involves Healthcare industry. I prefer living in a city/town surrounded by a large number of Hospitals or clinics.
Would you guys know of such a place, in southern Ontario?

Thanks Fellas,

JaiJawan:)

Windsor will be a good option

Hello,

Windsor can be a good option thn as there are many hospitals in and around here as mostly its a retired people city

Windsorguy

Thanks WindsorGuy

Hello Windsor Guy,
Thanks for the info.
I hear that windsor is one of the fastest growing city in canada.
So, Windsor it is.

I am looking for a Studio to rent in windsor. Is there a website or a rental name where i could look for?

I have been looking at university of windsor website for their housing accomodation. It seems pretty inexpensive.

Thanks,

jaiJawan.

Originally posted by dimple2001
The move may be daunting, but certainly not extremely stressful depending on how far the move is.

Your credit history will be useful, though your credit cards may not if you want a canadian address on your billing statements. I moved to Canada from the US and bought a total of three real estate properties in about a year in Canada using the US credit history. I maintain a PO box in the US and I have all my US credit cards directed there and still use the US cards in Canada.

Also, I called a credit card company that also issues cards in Canada (ex: Citibank, MBNA, etc) and applied for a credit card by explaining that I have the same card under the US account. They approved me in minutes with a substantial credit limit.

Hi Dimple2001,

Can you give us some input in regards to home/real estate buying in Canada.

I read somewhere, even if you are not employed yet and if you are willing to pay down around 32 percent( or more) of the property value, you can buy the house.

And also I heard there is an easy way of buying an apartment/condo and you can get transfer of the seller's
mortgage.

Do you happen to know any such info.

And also if you don't mind can you please share us your
property buying experience.

And how different is it from US.

Thanks a lot !

Vijay :)

Attn: dimple2001

Originally posted by dimple2001

Hi Dimple2001,

Can you give us some input in regards to home/real estate buying in Canada.

I read somewhere, even if you are not employed yet and if you are willing to pay down around 32 percent( or more) of the property value, you can buy the house.

And also I heard there is an easy way of buying an apartment/condo and you can get transfer of the seller's
mortgage.

Do you happen to know any such info.

And also if you don't mind can you please share us your
property buying experience.

And how different is it from US.

Thanks a lot !

Vijay