Help Guys: Address and work history N-400

jamesbrown2009

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,
I already sent my application and I just noticed that I made a mistake on question 6-- Address and work history. It doesn't match whats on my green card application. Is it something I can change at the interview without causing any problem.

What should I do, I'm just trying to make sure both application are consistent. And, also my address are all estimated.

Help please?

You can make changes at the interview without a problem. Reprint the page and fill in the correct information and give it the interviewer.

But why do you have an inconsistency with your green card application? You shouldn't list addresses or employment that were before your green card was approved.

It says list addresses for the past five years but I got my green card in 2007. Should I just print a new one with fewer addresses or all the addresses on the application?

It says list addresses for the past five years but I got my green card in 2007. Should I just print a new one with fewer addresses or all the addresses on the application?

I'm assuming that you're filing the N-400 based on marriage to a citizen. I would take the corrected employment history page for the last five years to the interview.

Even though it asks for 5 years, you are not supposed to list pre-GC employment or pre-GC addresses if you had a GC for less than 5 years. They want addresses and jobs in the past 5 years, except for those before you became a permanent resident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackolantern, if this was so, why are they not explicitly saying this? The N-400 form and its instructions clearly asks for the last five year history of residence and employment without qualifying any exceptions.

Although it doesn't specifically mention it, the N-400 application is standardized for applicants applying based on 5 year rule, hence the numerous references to disclose last 5 years of information.

Yes but how is the average applicant going to know that if it is not stated in the form or the instructions? It seems wherever the 3-year marriage clause applied, they would say something (like bringing tax returns for last three years versus five years for the average applicant) As you know, I got my GC through work but applied in under five years because I used the married to a citizen option. In my case, I entered five years of history for residence and work because that was exactly what they were asking for.

Address and Work employment

Yes but how is the average applicant going to know that if it is not stated in the form or the instructions? It seems wherever the 3-year marriage clause applied, they would say something (like bringing tax returns for last three years versus five years for the average applicant) As you know, I got my GC through work but applied in under five years because I used the married to a citizen option. In my case, I entered five years of history for residence and work because that was exactly what they were asking for.

Guys, What should I do? Should I just print out a new page and put in my work and address for the last 3 years or 5years?

Please, help.

Note: I already sent my application to Pheonix and It is under review now.

Thank you.

My opinion is that you print out a new page and put in your work and addresses for the last five years and then take that to the interview with you. This is what I did when I applied and I was in a similar situation as you. This info update at the interview really is not a big deal so don't worry about it.

Jackolantern, if this was so, why are they not explicitly saying this? The N-400 form and its instructions clearly asks for the last five year history of residence and employment without qualifying any exceptions.

It's a government form. Ambiguity and incompleteness are common in government forms.

Guys, What should I do? Should I just print out a new page and put in my work and address for the last 3 years or 5years?

Last 3 years, if you got your GC 3 years ago.

At the interview, you can ask if you are supposed list your pre-GC addresses and jobs from 4 or 5 years ago, and they should say NO.

For part 7, I hope you aren't listing or counting pre-GC absences from the US.

Last 3 years, if you got your GC 3 years ago.

At the interview, you can ask if you are supposed list your pre-GC addresses and jobs from 4 or 5 years ago, and they should say NO.

For part 7, I hope you aren't listing or counting pre-GC absences from the US.

I only travelled out of the country for 24days. I included that on my form. I listed my 5 year work and address history.

I had my interview at Baltimore on Mar-31-2010. Mine is 5-year GC based application and I had to make some corrections to my original application. I noticed these mistakes the evening before my interview while reviewing the application for interview (questions). As several other have shared in this forum, I was proceeding with the hope that it should not be a big deal.
Before the interview started, I informed my IO that I would like to make some corrections before we did the "I promise to tell the truth"....
He said, "Don't worry about that, we can fix it when we reach that section. Just let me know when we reach that section of your application".
When we reached that section, I reminded him about the corrections and he did those. As there were 6 items to correct, he asked me to initial and date that area, just to make sure the corrections were done at my behest and not by the officer himself. I carried an updated N-400 form with these corrections and asked him if I could give this new form. He said, it is not required as he could easily make those corrections in the original application itself.
I presume this must be a standard practice across all offices - to allow the applicant to make some corrections during the interview.

Good luck,
V