Help- can I enter US if valid GC stamp in expired passport?

Naman

Registered Users (C)
My I-485 was approved and got passport stamped by visiting local CIS, (no Card till date)
The GC stamp is valid till October 2005.
My passport with GC stamp was going to expire in September 2005 so I renewed my Passport from Indian consulate NYC few days back. I plan to visit India in July and will be back in August.
Can I comeback to US with valid GC stamp in expired passport and show both the passport at POE?
Will I face any problem boarding a flight from India to US?
Any link so that I can take printout that says one can travel to US if the I551 stamp is in expired passport.
Should I visit local CIS and ask them to give me new stamp in my new passport? Will they do that?
Any help will be highly appreciated!!

I dont know about the GC stamp but visa stamps remain valid. In fact they stamp it on the old passport saying "passport cancelled. all vailid visas remain valid".I assume they mean the GC stamp also. You may just have to carry bith around.

Rgds,

Yeppo

Naman said:
Can I comeback to US with valid GC stamp in expired passport and show both the passport at POE?
Will I face any problem boarding a flight from India to US?

Yes, you can. Your GC stamp on passport stamp is still valid.
I don't anticipate any problem in US POE, but I saw couple of cases where Indian immigration officers had issues with temporary Gc stamps. So take a copy of your I-485 approval notice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you can enter with valid GC stamp in expired passport.
I could not find any link from DOS or CIS related to your question. others may post if they find any link to law/regulations.

FYI you need Valid passport and valid GC stamp for employement verifications
check the form I-9 and it is clearly written that Unexpired passport with I-551 stamp is needed for employer.
you can visit local office and point out to them the I-9 eligiblity they may stamp the new passport.

as"pralay" pointed out it is better to keep I-485 approval or your welcome notice(if case was approved after interview at local office) nothing wrong visiting local USCIS but i dont think they will give info if airlines will accept the stamp in expired passport. if you have lawyer try to find any link

ginnu said:
I think you can enter with valid GC stamp in expired passport.
I could not find any link from DOS or CIS related to your question. others may post if they find any link to law/regulations.

I heard different opinion: in this case your GC will be denied and you will be deported from the US. Please double check.

Oberton said:
I heard different opinion: in this case your GC will be denied and you will be deported from the US. Please double check.
------------------- if the person has valid GC stamp in passport , why the GC will be denied? do you mean CARD? why they will not send Card? why they will deport a person with GC stamp in passport? the reason being that the person has valid passport stamp in expired card?
from where did you hear????? dont hear that again it is wrong info. you check with your attorney what you have heared and follow what he /she says.

Read below:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/documentary_req.xml
http://uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/in...slb-8cfrsec2111

Last edited by a moderator:
if we were talking about have the card then there would be no problem

even though the stamp may always be valid the passport isn't.

this is just like when you have a passport expire before the visa does. The solution is simply to get a new passport and take both of them with you.