• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Health Insurance Once You Get To Us

scooby-doo

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

be aware that once you get to the US you will need health insurance. Most clinics and hospitals won't even look at you if you don't have health insurance. If you have health problems or require medicines on a regular basis be aware that they can cost a lot of $$$$. I'm on cholesterol medicine and if I didn't have health insurance I would be paying $300/ month.

That is a very good point. It's also not so easily done sometimes.

In terms of travelling here and before you are considered resident, you can often go with a policy from TravelGuard.com or with a global policy from a major insurer. Once you are here the best is to have health insurance from your employer because it's a set rate and they don't refuse you. Getting an individual policy is hard, they don't have to accept you and it's huge money. If nothing else try to get accident only insurance (AIG.com used to sell) or once you are resident in a state you can similar policies with a bit more benefits, just high deductible. Better policies are from companies like Blue Cross / Anthem (Anthem.com) but they are hard to get. Just being in a car accident, or having a baby, can be $25,000 - $50,000 easily. I know some people who were caught off guard and it was a very bad situation.

Above is just some ideas, pls don't take any links as a direct recommendation, it depends so much on what nationality, what health history, what state you live in, family size, employer benefits, etc...

If all goes well in my interview next month, I'll be arriving in the US in August.

I am not planning on working for about a 4-8 weeks or so until I get everything set up (I also need a bit of a break as I have been working and studying full on!)

I will still have valid premium travel insurance - does anyone know if that will that cover me until I get a job at least? I am also keeping my insurance open 'on hold' for a year here in Australia in case I have to come back or if the move doesn't work out.

If all goes well in my interview next month, I'll be arriving in the US in August.

I am not planning on working for about a 4-8 weeks or so until I get everything set up (I also need a bit of a break as I have been working and studying full on!)

I will still have valid premium travel insurance - does anyone know if that will that cover me until I get a job at least? I am also keeping my insurance open 'on hold' for a year here in Australia in case I have to come back or if the move doesn't work out.

The problem with travel insurance is that most of the time you have to pay the bill in advance and then the insurance will reimburse you. I would check with your insurance company and see what they say. They might have special conditions for people traveling to the US.

I'm not trying to scare you but If you get admitted into an emergency room it can easily cost you $ 2,000 $ 3,000.

Getting individual health insurance in the US can be very expensive ( up to $500/month), not to mention the fact that insurances will try their best not to insure you. They will dig in your past medical records and they will try to to find a pre-existing condition not to insure you.

You might want to check a few insurance websites so you can get an idea:

1. www.uhc.com
2. http://www.bluecrossblueshield.com/

Try to get a job with good health benefits. I would even considering a lower salary but better health benefits.

Thanks for your reply - that is what I am wondering because just for the 2 months I may not be working, I couldn't imagine trying to set up insurance etc. just for that time period so I think I will go with the travel insurance to cover me over that time as once I start working I should be fine. :)

To anyone who has just gone over - what did you do in between the time you arrived and the time you started work? I can't imagine everyone starting work as soon as they get there. :)

Lorelei, check your travel policy carefully because there is a good chance you are not covered. They rarely cover situations where you are actually changing residency. Only special global policies cover that and you have to read the terms very carefully. You might need to buy a travel policy that is valid until the moment you reach the US, and then a second US accident policy for your time here, until you figure out a permanent solution. It used to be you could buy short-term accident fairly cheaply, for 2 months at a time renewable. BUt you need US address already. I hope you will anyways have US address set up before you get here (friends, family, etc.).

Try as much as you can to have job offers or possibilities in the pipeline before you get here. It's more expensive than you think and economy is not so good right now for many careers.

Ahhh ok :) Now I understand.. I was just looking and there was one for about $469 per month using this link https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ that came up through the united healthcare page.

Worth noting, for some areas there is short term coverage for when you are between jobs etc. If I have to pay $500 per month or so until work starts then that is fair enough though. I am lucky as it is just me - I don't have a family or partner.

The whole system is just so different to here - it is so hard to understand and comprehend! It is the only part that I am really struggling with - when I was on my J1 I was covered by my normal insurance and I never had to even think about this!

Also - I have no family or friends there either! Well I have one friend but she is in a different state (she is the one that I have used to get the GC delivered to etc) so I cannot join up to Blue Cross because I simply won't have anything they will be requiring first off with an address in NY. Eg. Like bills, confirmation of address etc

The whole situation is just crazy! LOL :) :) Anyway I have plenty of time to sort stuff out etc. :) Along with everyone else here! :)

Lorelei,

You'll be just fine. Right now concentrate on the interview. It's true medical insurance is a problem in Us but first you need to pass the interview, after that I'm sure there is a solution for everything. I can help in the future w/ answers for your questions (maybe not all of them, but I'll do my best).

Good luck w/ the interview.

Thank you so much! :) I think I am on edge enough as it is and really just want it over and done with now! :) :) I am a ball of nerves.. I don't want to even think about how I will feel this time in two weeks. If they say yes, I think I will faint. If they say now, I think I will faint! LOL

Discount Pharmacies

Don't forget to use discount Pharmacies like Walmart/Krogers/Medco for your presciptions. They offer generics at $4 for a month's supply.

Don't forget to use discount Pharmacies like Walmart/Krogers/Medco for your presciptions. They offer generics at $4 for a month's supply.

that's not always the cheaper way to go.

Two pills for my prescription are $4 (and it's 2 week supply, not 4). And that's what I was paying. Two weeks ago, I decided to get 4 pills at the same time, and what do you know? it's $5 for 4 pills!