• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Health insurance for new immigrants (senior/older) folks

I'm interested how this pans out. Because I know a few people who have not sponsored parents simply because there were no affordable health care options for new elderly LPRs, but that was before Obamacare. But in general the rule is new LPRs can't access any public benefits for at least 5 years so I don't really see why parents should be different, sorry if it that sounds harsh. I mean lots of immigrants who become citizens want lots of their families to come but that doesn't mean the state should use the funds of everyone else who's been paying tax to pay for someone who is never going to give a tax contribution.... All that said I do hope you manage to find an affordable solution and if so please share it.

Seniors are in a difficult situation healthcare-wise these days. There are so many different plans and rates depending on every single detail. If you're looking for information on senior life insurance then you should definitely check out ..... They give free consultations and quotes regarding retirement funding, long-term care funding, life insurance, medicare supplements, dental/vision, etc.

Gee, this looks suspiciously like an advert.
Mods?

Hello all,

I was able to find this thread and I am also looking into finding insurance for my father-in-law that is coming shortly to the US. My wife is sponsoring and I am the co-sponsor since she is not working. We signed the I-184, and we live in California, however, my father-in-law will be living in Arizona with my wife's sister.
From what I have found is that we won't be able to get an insurance thru Arizona's marketplace for the rest of the year, we can apply for it in Oct/Nov, however, I was told that we are looking at around $700 of monthly premiums which is very expensive for us. He will not qualify for Medicare since he hasn't been here for 5 years. I was looking at Arizona's AHCCCS (Arizona's Medicaid), and they state that sponsor deeming rules will apply which may disqualify him from getting it.
I was looking into short term insurance which seems to be the only viable option but still is around $500 a month in premium.
Are there any other more affordable options that any may know? My father-in-law is 66 and is disabled (lost both legs to diabetes).
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.