Havent worked in three years. Affidavit of suppport.

vimarket

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys, I filed n400, and I have some questions.
I havent worked since 2007. I know immigration is going to ask how I have been supporting myself.

I was in college, and I have a copy of all the refund checks they sent me, and some of them where as why as $5,000 a term, so I supported myself with this.

Also, I have a rich aunt in my country who was very helpful knowing my condition. (I broke my femur a couple of years bag and its been giving me problems since.)

When I go for my interview I plan to take the proof of refunds from my school, and also I want to take an affidavit from my aunt to show that she has been supporting me. My question is please what exactly does she write in the affidavit, and who will she address it to.

"To whom it may concern:" Will that work?

And from the details above, if you were an IO, what will you want the letter to contain?

Thank you to everyone in this awesome forum.

(I know USCIS might not even ask for this, but I think its just better to have it.)

"Refund checks" from college? Did you mean scholarships or loans?

Anyway, they're not going to bother to ask how you were supporting yourself during college. They know that students have various means of support, whether it is financial aid, student loans, scholarships, or relatives.

Now if you're not working for the past 3 years after finishing college, that's another matter.

Yes Jack, that's what I mean. I graduated last August, and I tried to find a job but since I have no work experience things havent been very easy especially with the economy and add that to my issue with my leg, its a different story.

So, since I have not worked since last year, and the time I was in school, that's why I am thinking they might need proof. Please any idea on what the affidavit should say?

Thanks again.

You don’t have to worry about it. It is OK if you were unemployed. That has no influence on citizenship. Just write down “unemployed” and it is fine. They will not ask you how you supported yourself as this is irrelevant for citizenship purposes. You don’t have to have job in order to become citizen.